Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 12-09-2011, 01:58 AM   #16
Brickhaus
Packs the house
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: P4P rank: Gamboa & Moreno

Both are good, but I still give the edge to Gamboa. On Moreno's record, only Darchinyan and Cermeno have really proven to be top level guys, and one of those wins over Cermeno was very controversial and Darchinyan was over his best weight where he's proven to be world class, but nowhere near the top. On Gamboa, he dominated guys like Salido, Barros and Solis who either proved since or had proven before that they're world class. Salido is very underrated too. Only guy to dominate Guerrero, and outside of a couple hard fought fights against a guy who is a stylistic nightmare for just about anyone (since Cruz throws 120-130 punches a round), he's pretty much dominated every other decent fighter he's ever faced. Barros didn't seem like much when Gamboa beat him either, but since then he's proven that he's legit, fighting close with Caballero twice and dominating high level gatekeepers Berry and Roman.
Brickhaus is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2011, 02:00 AM   #17
Brickhaus
Packs the house
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by realdeal561 View Post
Gamboa lacks a signature win. For a while it seemed like it would be Juanma Lopez, then Chris John for a little bit. Only Sig win i see right now that is possible would be maybe a Broner win, since there is alot of hype surrounding him right now.
So dominating the guy who beat Juanma isn't a signature win? I mean, the guys he's beaten have beaten almost all the other top guys in the division. And is there really any doubt he'd beat Gonzalez, John, Dib, etc.?
Old 12-09-2011, 02:02 AM   #18
realdeal561
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 459

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickhaus View Post
So dominating the guy who beat Juanma isn't a signature win? I mean, the guys he's beaten have beaten almost all the other top guys in the division. And is there really any doubt he'd beat Gonzalez, John, Dib, etc.?
When i say sig win i mean like something that puts him way up there with the stars. IF he would KTFO lopez when all the hype was around Lopez and everyone favored lopez it woulda bout Gamboa so up there. IF he would of KO'd John who for a very long time has been considered one of the best FW he would of put him up there, that star status. Salido, no one expected Salido to win, or very few did.
realdeal561 is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2011, 02:04 AM   #19
realdeal561
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 459

Quote:
When i say sig win i mean like something that puts him way up there with the stars. IF he would KTFO lopez when all the hype was around Lopez and everyone favored lopez it woulda bout Gamboa so up there. IF he would of KO'd John who for a very long time has been considered one of the best FW he would of put him up there, that star status. Salido, no one expected Salido to win, or very few did.
Kinda like a Floyd Mayweather tearing Corrales apart. (RIP)
realdeal561 is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2011, 02:17 AM   #20
Brickhaus
Packs the house
East Side VIP

Quote:
I guess that's right, but it's not like there's anyone within two weight classes who could help make him a star. Nonito Donaire is known among the hardcore fans, but isn't known elsewhere. And the only guy who could raise his profile is JMM, who is with GBP. Guys below 135 usually don't become stars anyway, and being a "star" has nothing to do with P4P.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:32 AM   #21
Nonito Smoak
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 2364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickhaus View Post
On Moreno's record, only Darchinyan and Cermeno have really proven to be top level guys,

I think that is pretty foolish.

If Darchinyan and Cermeno are the only top level guys, then Gamboa only has Salido and Solis. And if Cermeno, qualifies, than so would both the Sidorenko wins, on the road in Germany both times, as he too was an undefeated titlist, and a once defeated titlist the second go around. I'm surprised you rank Cermeno better than Sidorenko, honestly.

And to cast aside his victories over Tomas Rojas? Tomas Rojas is the exact equivalent of how you described Barros, in terms of the win getting better as Rojas became legit, which Rojas very much did.
Nonito Smoak is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2011, 02:38 AM   #22
Brickhaus
Packs the house
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonito Smoak View Post
I think that is pretty foolish.

If Darchinyan and Cermeno are the only top level guys, then Gamboa only has Salido and Solis. And if Cermeno, qualifies, than so would both the Sidorenko wins, on the road in Germany both times, as he too was an undefeated titlist, and a once defeated titlist the second go around. I'm surprised you rank Cermeno better than Sidorenko, honestly.

And to cast aside his victories over Tomas Rojas? Tomas Rojas is the exact equivalent of how you described Barros, in terms of the win getting better as Rojas became legit, which Rojas very much did.

That's true, I forgot about Rojas, but it was also what, five years ago? That old and it's just not relevant IMO.

Sidorenko wasn't bad, but he wasn't great either. He should have two losses to Cordoba on his record. Legit top 10 guy for sure, maybe even top 5. And decisioning him twice in Germany, you gotta be pretty good.

Maybe if I sat and thought about it extensively I'd think differently, but I have Gamboa ahead and it's not that close. Gamboa in the 9 - 12 range, Moreno in the 17-21 range. While he looked great against the very basic Darchinyan, I've seen Moreno in enough close fights, where he just barely throws enough punches to win, that I'm still skeptical. I have seen more Gamboa than Moreno (I might have seen all of Gamboa's pro fights), but I've still seen enough of Moreno to have an informed opinion.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum