Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 01-30-2008, 03:30 AM   #16
kerrminator
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Good Scott Harrison article from todays Times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze
The BBB of C are doing their job and looking after Harrison. I know people with drinking problems and it is a battle you will have for the rest of your life, even if you never have another drink again.

One of the things that helps in the battle, is to not be in involved in pressure situations that can lead you back to Alcohol. As an individual sport, it does not get much harder pressure wise (as well as physical) than pro boxing.

The training I would think, would benefit Harrison no end, but the granting of a pro licence and pressure that would come with it, may be too much for him to handle.

I do realise I make these comments from a distance, and Harrison may come back and never drink again, I hope that happens. But most importantly if you are a Harrison fan you should hope he never drinks again first, then as an added bonus he comes back.
That does make sense but on the flip side I just dont believe the BBBoC are neither qualified nor concerned with regards to the health of a boxer and they are only out to see that boxing doesnt look bad (which is fair enough)

There has been plenty of instances in the past where boxers can return from the gutter to fight at world level again eg. Tapia, Mayorga.

I hope he gets his license as he is far more likely to hit the bottle again if he is left in his current predicament of no cash and homeless whereas a couple of years in the ring again could lead to him making a bit of cash and retiring with some dignity.

Your comments about hoping he beats the bottle are spot on and I couldnt agree more but I feel he will be far more likely to hit the bottle if he is prevented from earning a living the only way he knows how to.
kerrminator is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2008, 03:44 AM   #17
kurt2006
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze
The BBB of C are doing their job and looking after Harrison. I know people with drinking problems and it is a battle you will have for the rest of your life, even if you never have another drink again.

One of the things that helps in the battle, is to not be in involved in pressure situations that can lead you back to Alcohol. As an individual sport, it does not get much harder pressure wise (as well as physical) than pro boxing.

The training I would think, would benefit Harrison no end, but the granting of a pro licence and pressure that would come with it, may be too much for him to handle.

I do realise I make these comments from a distance, and Harrison may come back and never drink again, I hope that happens. But most importantly if you are a Harrison fan you should hope he never drinks again first, then as an added bonus he comes back.
They are not doing their job. Where were the BBBC when he was boozing day and night. The idiots were only to hapy to let him defend his title as they were getting their sanctioning fee's etc.

What he does outside the ring has nothing to do with them. So what if he has a fight withsomeone in Spain. Plenty of people do similar things whilst on holiday yet they are not sacked from work or denied the chance to earn a living.

The BBBC are a bunch of old farts living in the 1950s. All it will take is a legal challenge and they will be going bankrupt again.

Yes if he is still boozing and doing it prior to fights then by all means he should not fight, the last thing we want to see is someone getting seriously hurt in a fight. But if he has turned the corner then they should give him his license.
kurt2006 is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2008, 04:51 AM   #18
hitman_hatton1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutto
Why not let him fight I dont see what the problem with the board is. Lets face it fighters are not always perfect. Its a shame the Board are not so interested in some of the problems fighters have once they stop fighting. Let the man fight
tbf he does have court cases pending.

after he's served his sentences he should get em back though.

i feel sorry for nicky booth.

who served his time and never got his licence back.
hitman_hatton1 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum