Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2011, 09:28 AM   #1
KO-KING
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,182
vCash: 119
Default --- Rating, Andre Ward/Carl Froch ---

Instead of doing to seperate threads, I thought i'll do one so a more direct comparison can be made between S.O.G and the Cobra.

My ratings

Technical Ability - 8.5 - 7, Ward has the Advantage here, Froch isn't what you call a technicall fighter but it would be wrong to say he has poor technique, he has a excellent jab and his power punches are generally technically sound. Ward on the other hand is what you call a technical fighter, as a boxer he depends on his technical ability to win him fights, he is adapted to fight on the inside and outside.

Defence - 8 - 6, Ward has the advantage here again, he hardly ever gets with the same combination twice and he adapts his defence well to nullify his opponents offence. This is a area where froch is/was underrated by the fans in general, he is open to overhand rights and fast jabs because of his hands low style However his ackwardness often makes him hard to hit flush.

Offence
- 7 - 8, Froch has the advantage here, he's a fighter who relies on a solid offence to win fights. He's strength and relentless approach makes him a fighter that is hard to push back, he is also adapted to use his jab and box when needed to, Ward is a good offencive fighter but he isn't the most pleasing fighter to watch as he often turns his fights ugly but he finds a way to win.

Footwork - 8 - 7, Ward has the advantage due to the technical side of his footwork He has good general movement, he finds good angles to counter his oppenents and he is a good ring general. Froch has good footwork when it comes to closing an oppenent down but he has looked slightly stuck on the backfoot when put under pressure (Glen Johnson)

Accuracy - 8 - 7, Ward, he is very accurate when a fighter tries to come in, put no one has yet pushed him to find something extra to win, Froch has good accuracy but not great. He has very accurate jab to the body which can wear down an opponent, also decent combinations

Power - 5.5 - 7.5, Froch although not a massive puncher has a clear advantage here, at the higher levels Froch's power isn't what it used to be against domestic level fighters, his power isn't devastating but is enough to hurt a world class oppenent and put them awat if hurt. Nothing against Andre but he lacks power, he's a good puncher - clean and accurate, but he still finds it hard to hurt a world class opponent even though he hits them clean over and over again but if froch lets ward keep hitting him with over hand rights all night, ward will eventually wear him down.

Speed - 8 - 6.5, he has excellent speed. He can throw quick jabs and right hands he can also mix it up with hooks to the body on the inside. Froch although not exactly fast but he isn't slow either, he has quick power jabs to the body and can throw quick hooks when he needs top up the workrate.

Versatility - 7 - 8, Personally think Froch has the advantage here, he has needed to be versatile in some of his fights compared to Ward. He is able to both Box and Slug it out and he does it easily. Ward has had to only box most of his career but he is able to fight on the outside and inside slighly better than froch.

Stamina - 8 - 9, Both seem to have excellent stamina and its probably even, However you have to go give to froch due to the fact that he has a higher workrate in his fights, he did tire in the kessler fight but lot of factors went into that fight. Neither fighter seems tired after the full 12.

Heart - 9 -10, Both have great hearts neither have any quit in them. This again could be even but froch has been in fights where he needed to demonstrate his heart, War vs Pascal, Kessler and coming from behind against taylor. Ward wouldn't back down against Bika who gave him a nightmare but Ward didn't come close to giving in.

Chin - 6 - 9, Froch Great chin down once and that was against taylor and he wasn't hurt, he has taken bombs from Johnson, Kessler recently, one of the best chins in the business, Ward's chin hasn't often been tested Abraham hiw him around the ear and seemed to hurt him from a single punch and a Bum put him down early on in his career.

Physical Attributes - 8 - 8, Even and for different reasons, both are strong and I think froch is a bit more stronger than Ward. Froch can control the distance using a excellent jab to the body. Ward like it or not has a effective headbutt, he can hurt and bother an oppenent severerly with it as demonstrated in the kessler fight and he also uses his reach well although not as big as Carl Froch's, he is very effective in clinches and hardly comes of second in a clinch.

Overall - Ward : 7.5 Froch : 7.5

Prediction, shock upset by Froch to take a razor thin decision. To win he needs to turn it into a dog fight, which isn't a easy thing to do against ward but if Froch tries to box Ward he'll lose even if he does it for few rounds he will lose because he would have given away to many points.

Some attributes are missing though such as Cut/Swelling resistance, ring IQ and Corner ect.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj7GjfdCLT4&feature=related[/ame]

KO-KING is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2011, 09:29 AM   #2
KO-KING
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,182
vCash: 119
Default Re: --- Rating, Andre Ward vs Carl Froch ---

Other Ratings

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] - Mikkel Kessler
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] - Ricky Hatton
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] - Amir Khan
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] - Shane Mosley
KO-KING is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:29 AM   #3
KO-KING
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,182
vCash: 119
Default Re: --- Rating, Andre Ward vs Carl Froch ---

bump
KO-KING is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:39 AM   #4
Orbete
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 679
vCash: 500
Default Re: --- Rating, Andre Ward vs Carl Froch ---

Really great analysis. Thanks for your effort! I've read it all but I don't feel the need to add or correct something.

... Except that I found Ward's mark for chin to be too low. I would give him 8. Some others are also +/-1 but they are part of the admissible errors .
Orbete is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:41 AM   #5
KO-KING
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,182
vCash: 119
Default Re: --- Rating, Andre Ward vs Carl Froch ---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbete View Post
Really great analysis. Thanks for your effort! I've read it all but I don't feel the need to add or correct something.

... Except that I found Ward's mark for chin to be too low. I would give him 8. Some others are also +/-1 but they are part of the admissible errors .
KO-KING is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:10 PM   #6
perspicacity
Raising The Bar
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Nags Head
Posts: 2,461
vCash: 185000
Default Re: --- Rating, Andre Ward vs Carl Froch ---

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO-KING View Post
Technical Ability - 8.5 - 7, Ward has the Advantage here, Froch isn't what you call a technicall fighter but it would be wrong to say he has poor technique, he has a excellent jab and his power punches are generally technically sound. Ward on the other hand is what you call a technical fighter, as a boxer he depends on his technical ability to win him fights, he is adapted to fight on the inside and outside.
I think I'd have Ward down at 8 or even 7.5 as he hasn't proven himself against guys like Hopkins, Bute, Pascal, Dawson or Froch yet, that is a variety of fighters with different assets. Sure, there is every chance he can be an 8.5 but not just now IMO. Froch I agree with 7 for now but that could yet rise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO-KING View Post
Defence - 8 - 6, Ward has the advantage here again, he hardly ever gets with the same combination twice and he adapts his defence well to nullify his opponents offence. This is a area where froch is/was underrated by the fans in general, he is open to overhand rights and fast jabs because of his hands low style However his ackwardness often makes him hard to hit flush.
Ward is slippery and Froch can be leaky so pretty much agree with these.



Quote:
Originally Posted by KO-KING View Post

Offence - 7 - 8, Froch has the advantage here, he's a fighter who relies on a solid offence to win fights. He's strength and relentless approach makes him a fighter that is hard to push back, he is also adapted to use his jab and box when needed to, Ward is a good offencive fighter but he isn't the most pleasing fighter to watch as he often turns his fights ugly but he finds a way to win.

Agree


Quote:
Originally Posted by KO-KING View Post
Footwork - 8 - 7, Ward has the advantage due to the technical side of his footwork He has good general movement, he finds good angles to counter his oppenents and he is a good ring general. Froch has good footwork when it comes to closing an oppenent down but he has looked slightly stuck on the backfoot when put under pressure (Glen Johnson)
Pretty much spot on again, Ward has above average movement and Carl can look cumbersome at times.


Quote:
Originally Posted by KO-KING View Post
Accuracy - 8 - 7, Ward, he is very accurate when a fighter tries to come in, put no one has yet pushed him to find something extra to win, Froch has good accuracy but not great. He has very accurate jab to the body which can wear down an opponent, also decent combinations
Agreed.


Quote:
Originally Posted by KO-KING View Post
Power - 5.5 - 7.5, Froch although not a massive puncher has a clear advantage here, at the higher levels Froch's power isn't what it used to be against domestic level fighters, his power isn't devastating but is enough to hurt a world class oppenent and put them awat if hurt. Nothing against Andre but he lacks power, he's a good puncher - clean and accurate, but he still finds it hard to hurt a world class opponent even though he hits them clean over and over again but if froch lets ward keep hitting him with over hand rights all night, ward will eventually wear him down.
5.5 is a bit harsh I'd go 6.5/7 for Ward and 8 for Froch.


Quote:
Originally Posted by KO-KING View Post
Speed - 8 - 6.5, he has excellent speed. He can throw quick jabs and right hands he can also mix it up with hooks to the body on the inside. Froch although not exactly fast but he isn't slow either, he has quick power jabs to the body and can throw quick hooks when he needs top up the workrate.
Bang on!


Quote:
Originally Posted by KO-KING View Post
Versatility - 7 - 8, Personally think Froch has the advantage here, he has needed to be versatile in some of his fights compared to Ward. He is able to both Box and Slug it out and he does it easily. Ward has had to only box most of his career but he is able to fight on the outside and inside slighly better than froch.

I'd rate them both equal here, will be very interesting to see how versatile Ward is if Froch catches him clean in this fight and has him rattled. This could be a gamechanger if Ward gets hurt and cant adapt.


Quote:
Originally Posted by KO-KING View Post
Stamina - 8 - 9, Both seem to have excellent stamina and its probably even, However you have to go give to froch due to the fact that he has a higher workrate in his fights, he did tire in the kessler fight but lot of factors went into that fight. Neither fighter seems tired after the full 12.
I suspect Ward has a good engine but you're not too far off here.


Quote:
Originally Posted by KO-KING View Post
Heart - 9 -10, Both have great hearts neither have any quit in them. This again could be even but froch has been in fights where he needed to demonstrate his heart, War vs Pascal, Kessler and coming from behind against taylor. Ward wouldn't back down against Bika who gave him a nightmare but Ward didn't come close to giving in.

I'd go with 8 for Ward and 9.5 for Froch on this one.


Quote:
Originally Posted by KO-KING View Post
Chin - 6 - 9, Froch Great chin down once and that was against taylor and he wasn't hurt, he has taken bombs from Johnson, Kessler recently, one of the best chins in the business, Ward's chin hasn't often been tested Abraham hiw him around the ear and seemed to hurt him from a single punch and a Bum put him down early on in his career.
Maybe you're a bit harsh on Ward here but we should get some granite facts on Saturday, Froch gonna test that beard ...


Quote:
Originally Posted by KO-KING View Post
Physical Attributes - 8 - 8, Even and for different reasons, both are strong and I think froch is a bit more stronger than Ward. Froch can control the distance using a excellent jab to the body. Ward like it or not has a effective headbutt, he can hurt and bother an oppenent severerly with it as demonstrated in the kessler fight and he also uses his reach well although not as big as Carl Froch's, he is very effective in clinches and hardly comes of second in a clinch.

I'd rate Froch slightly higher but both men have that freakish extra dimension compared to other fighters, not sure if it is mental or physical.


Quote:
Originally Posted by KO-KING View Post
Prediction, shock upset by Froch to take a razor thin decision. To win he needs to turn it into a dog fight, which isn't a easy thing to do against ward but if Froch tries to box Ward he'll lose even if he does it for few rounds he will lose because he would have given away to many points.
I don't think there is any way Carl Froch picks up a Decision against Showtime's S.O.G, it's sad but it's a fact as far as I'm concerned.

I'm gonna predict a robbery here and boldly state that Ward is gonna hit the canvas but hang on to win a controversial decision ....
perspicacity is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:59 PM   #7
KO-KING
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,182
vCash: 119
Default Re: --- Rating, Andre Ward vs Carl Froch ---

ward hasn't hurt a world class opponent, he can't be 6.5, 5.5 is right in my opinion
KO-KING is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:00 PM   #8
Webbiano
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: England
Posts: 2,802
vCash: 500
Default Re: --- Rating, Andre Ward vs Carl Froch ---

Ward over Froch in technical ability? Are you mad?
Webbiano is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:28 AM   #9
Orbete
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 679
vCash: 500
Default Re: --- Rating, Andre Ward vs Carl Froch ---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webbiano View Post
Ward over Froch in technical ability? Are you mad?



So you want to say that Froch has a superior technical ability, whatever that means for you, but Ward has superior skills, footwork and hand speed. Right?
Orbete is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:55 AM   #10
rushman
Devoid is Devoid
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: putting the sensual into non-consensual
Posts: 3,652
vCash: 9205
Default Re: --- Rating, Andre Ward vs Carl Froch ---

That's not a bad analysis, but there is an extra dimension to the fight.

Stylistic strengths/weaknesses. I think that Ward has the advantage in the stylistic matchup.

If you wanted to be thorough, you could add in other factors too, such as any advantage to fighting in home country.
rushman is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:53 AM   #11
KO-KING
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,182
vCash: 119
Default Re: --- Rating, Andre Ward vs Carl Froch ---

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushman View Post
That's not a bad analysis, but there is an extra dimension to the fight.

Stylistic strengths/weaknesses. I think that Ward has the advantage in the stylistic matchup.

If you wanted to be thorough, you could add in other factors too, such as any advantage to fighting in home country.
What if froch fights like Bika
KO-KING is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:57 AM   #12
Webbiano
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: England
Posts: 2,802
vCash: 500
Default Re: --- Rating, Andre Ward vs Carl Froch ---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbete View Post


So you want to say that Froch has a superior technical ability, whatever that means for you, but Ward has superior skills, footwork and hand speed. Right?
Dudeeeeee sarcasm
Webbiano is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:01 AM   #13
Orbete
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 679
vCash: 500
Default Re: --- Rating, Andre Ward vs Carl Froch ---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webbiano View Post
Dudeeeeee sarcasm
Orbete is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:14 AM   #14
KO-KING
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,182
vCash: 119
Default Re: --- Rating, Andre Ward vs Carl Froch ---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webbiano View Post
Dudeeeeee sarcasm
in orbete defence you couldn't really tell if it was sarcasm
KO-KING is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:18 AM   #15
Webbiano
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: England
Posts: 2,802
vCash: 500
Default Re: --- Rating, Andre Ward vs Carl Froch ---

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO-KING View Post
in orbete defence you couldn't really tell if it was sarcasm
Oh haha I thought it was obvious.
Webbiano is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013