Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-19-2011, 08:39 AM   #16
FastHands(beeb)
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Muhammad Ali vs Ken Norton III (On September 28. 1976, at Yankee Stadium)

Norton deserved the decision...simple as that. Ali knew it...Norton knew it...look at the way both reacted at the final bell.

There's some serious revisionist bullshit going on to suggest otherwise...it's become an urban myth with Ali sycophants who claim Ali won this fight. If it's repeated often enough, it becomes the truth...or so it seems.

Ali got the decision for financial reasons alone...to keep the gravy train rolling. Norton deserved a 4th fight, but Ali didn't want it...Norton should have got first crack at Leon too...Spinks' people didn't want that fight - offered Norton $ 200k thinking he would turn it down...but he didn't. One unlucky fighter, Kenny Norton.

As Norton said...Ali is the only fighter who can get a hometown decision in any town in the world.

After the fight Ali said "if I can't even beat Norton..."

Norton got shafted...end of story. Ali fans can dress it up any way they want...but it's the truth.
FastHands(beeb) is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2011, 07:10 PM   #17
Gyro
Journeyman

Default Re: Muhammad Ali vs Ken Norton III (On September 28. 1976, at Yankee Stadium)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastHands(beeb) View Post
Norton deserved the decision...simple as that. Ali knew it...Norton knew it...look at the way both reacted at the final bell.

There's some serious revisionist bullshit going on to suggest otherwise...it's become an urban myth with Ali sycophants who claim Ali won this fight. If it's repeated often enough, it becomes the truth...or so it seems.

Ali got the decision for financial reasons alone...to keep the gravy train rolling. Norton deserved a 4th fight, but Ali didn't want it...Norton should have got first crack at Leon too...Spinks' people didn't want that fight - offered Norton $ 200k thinking he would turn it down...but he didn't. One unlucky fighter, Kenny Norton.

As Norton said...Ali is the only fighter who can get a hometown decision in any town in the world.

After the fight Ali said "if I can't even beat Norton..."

Norton got shafted...end of story. Ali fans can dress it up any way they want...but it's the truth.
You can try and one-up boxing fans who know Ali won with your very last sentence but Ali won the fight all be it razor thin margin. Dress is it up any way you want, but Norton tried to cruise in the last round and was out boxed by the champion in that round. Round which made the difference in the fight.
Gyro is offline  Top
Old 12-21-2011, 01:56 AM   #18
Vince Voltage
Contender
ESB Senior Member

It is a ridiculous myth that Ali outboxed Norton in the final round. Ali's jabs were missing all night. Norton landed some hard shots that round.

I've asked this before: is there a die-hard Ali fan who can produce slow motion footage of Ali landing ten clean, meaningful punches in this fight? If so, I want to see it. He landed almost nothing, just a few pokes here and there. Norton kicked his ass all night, just as Shavers did a year later.

Though I don't like the commonly used phrase on this site -"nuthugger" - there isn't any fighter in history who comes close to having as many nuthuggers as Ali, and thus boxing history is distorted because of it.
Vince Voltage is offline  Top
Old 12-21-2011, 08:33 AM   #19
Quick Cash
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

I had Norton winning all three fights the last time I sat down to watch them. He won the third by seizing the crucial final round; a round where Ali did close to no damage with his pecking jab.

Then again, I always had Norton up over Holmes and Young in their individual meetings too. That man was simply poison against that style, in my opinion.
Quick Cash is offline  Top
Old 12-21-2011, 08:59 AM   #20
TG1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

The scoring on a rounds basis hurt Norton here. There was a case for at least two 10-8 rounds when Ali did nothing. Norton also won rounds big when Ali shaded them.

Not a robbery bit I can't blame Norton for being pissed.
TG1 is offline  Top
Old 12-21-2011, 09:56 AM   #21
RockyJim
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Norton got robbed that night...one of the NY newspapers said:"If Ali won that fight last night...then the Japanese won WWII"...
RockyJim is offline  Top
Old 12-21-2011, 04:12 PM   #22
FastHands(beeb)
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyro View Post
You can try and one-up boxing fans who know Ali won with your very last sentence but Ali won the fight all be it razor thin margin. Dress is it up any way you want, but Norton tried to cruise in the last round and was out boxed by the champion in that round. Round which made the difference in the fight.
This kind of goes some way to proving my point "boxing fans who know Ali won". Please! Ken Norton deserved the title that night - just look at the reactions of Nortn & Ali at the end of the 15th round - do you really think Ali thought he had won the fight? I stand by every word of my post...and will to my dying day. No-one can convince me that Ali deserved the decision that night.
FastHands(beeb) is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum