Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


View Poll Results: Who's Top 5 Wins are Better?
Ward 24 31.58%
Calzaghe 51 67.11%
Even (For you indecisive people) 1 1.32%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2011, 12:03 AM   #16
whopperdong
"sorry dan, im the man"
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Irnbru "just cuts" woman - "geale wins on points - sd"
Posts: 1,796
vCash: 397
Default Re: better top 5: Ward or Calzaghe?

There is a slow mo version of hopkins vs calz and it clearly shows bhop getting robbed. and its a bit sad that ppl consider his best win is against hopkins who was well past his own best.

Eubanks was a great fighter but he was never the same after the watson fight. plus had come out of retirement, was training for a lhw fight and took the calz fight on 2 weeks notice. so i dont give credit for that and can see a prime eubanks beating calz.

ward has a better res imo.
whopperdong is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2011, 12:04 AM   #17
BlackBrenny
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 6,573
vCash: 75
Default Re: better top 5: Ward or Calzaghe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial1 View Post
And Andre beat Kesser more convincing than Joe and he was a 2 time super middle weight champ along with Froch . And your point ?

was Bika though? Kessler was THE undefeated WBA-WBC supermiddleweight champ when Calzaghe beat him, Lacy was THE IBF champ when Calzaghe beat him, that unified the belts there and then.
BlackBrenny is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:06 AM   #18
BlackBrenny
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 6,573
vCash: 75
Default Re: better top 5: Ward or Calzaghe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whopperdong View Post
There is a slow mo version of hopkins vs calz and it clearly shows bhop getting robbed. and its a bit sad that ppl consider his best win is against hopkins who was well past his own best.

Eubanks was a great fighter but was never the same after the watson fight. plus had come out of retirement, was training for a lhw fight and took the calz fight on 2 weeks notice. so i dont give credit for that and can see a prime eubanks beating calz.

ward has a better res imo.


Are these the same people who said Pavlik would own Calzaghe?
BlackBrenny is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:10 AM   #19
whopperdong
"sorry dan, im the man"
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Irnbru "just cuts" woman - "geale wins on points - sd"
Posts: 1,796
vCash: 397
Default Re: better top 5: Ward or Calzaghe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBrenny View Post
Are these the same people who said Pavlik would own Calzaghe?
i dont follow.

but hey if u consider wins (robbery) against a 43yr old man + a disheartened and ill prepared eubanks evidence of his greatness then more power to u i guess.
whopperdong is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:13 AM   #20
BlackBrenny
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 6,573
vCash: 75
Default Re: better top 5: Ward or Calzaghe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icanteach2005 View Post
Abrahamn.. Great Middlewieght champ..
Both Have Kessler Ward victory better..
Both Have Bika.. Joe victory better
Eubank Nice win for Joe..
Lacy Good Win Owned by Joe
Froch a former champ with a great Resume Great Win for Ward
Hopkins is a Great Win for Joe

I voted for Ward.. but its clear that Joe has the better Resume but 1 more victory by Ward say Bute, any of the LightHeavyweight champs then Joe's Resume is Trumped by Ward..

Sorry but Reid: former Supermiddleweight champ

Eubank: former Supermiddleweight champ

Lacy: Undefeated IBF Supermiddleweight champ

Kessler: Undefeated WBA-WBC Supermiddleweight champ

Woodhall: Former Supermiddleweight champ

Mitchell: former Supermiddleweight champ

Reid: Former Supermiddleweight champ..

etc.
BlackBrenny is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:14 AM   #21
Imperial1
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 19,914
vCash: 1000
Default Re: better top 5: Ward or Calzaghe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBrenny View Post
was Bika though? Kessler was THE undefeated WBA-WBC supermiddleweight champ when Calzaghe beat him, Lacy was THE IBF champ when Calzaghe beat him, that unified the belts there and then.

And Kessler was the WBA champ and Froch was WBC champ with much better resumes than Jeff Much Hype Lacy ..But like I said prior Joe is more accomplished because of the title defenses ..But his reign as the best super middleweight of all time is coming to an end.
Imperial1 is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:14 AM   #22
BlackBrenny
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 6,573
vCash: 75
Default Re: better top 5: Ward or Calzaghe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whopperdong View Post
i dont follow.

but hey if u consider wins (robbery) against a 43yr old man + a disheartened and ill prepared eubanks evidence of his greatness then more power to u i guess.

robbery? calzaghe won that fight
BlackBrenny is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:16 AM   #23
dubace
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,404
vCash: 1207
Default Re: better top 5: Ward or Calzaghe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whopperdong View Post
i dont follow.

but hey if u consider wins (robbery) against a 43yr old man + a disheartened and ill prepared eubanks evidence of his greatness then more power to u i guess.
well said.
dubace is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:16 AM   #24
whopperdong
"sorry dan, im the man"
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Irnbru "just cuts" woman - "geale wins on points - sd"
Posts: 1,796
vCash: 397
Default Re: better top 5: Ward or Calzaghe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBrenny View Post
robbery? calzaghe won that fight
just watch the slow mo version.

calz wild slap flurries gets the crowd and judges into a frenzy yet it seemed everyone forgot that punches have to land to score.
whopperdong is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:17 AM   #25
BlackBrenny
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 6,573
vCash: 75
Default Re: better top 5: Ward or Calzaghe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial1 View Post
And Kessler was the WBA champ and Froch was WBC champ with much better resumes than Jeff Much Hype Lacy ..But like I said prior Joe is more accomplished because of the title defenses ..But his reign as the best super middleweight of all time is coming to an end.

Yeah Kessler went and regained the WBA title quite easily after Joe vacated.. shows how good a win it was when he outclassed him.

Jeff Lacy was hyped.. but was also IBF Champ and picked to win by most..dont believe me? read this

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]


edit:

here it is.
Brent Hedtke: This one has all the ingredients of real corker. Both guys have solid chins and very respectable power. If they come out aggressive this could be a fight of the year candidate. That being said, I just don't see how Calzaghe can beat ‘Left Hook’. Joe hasn't looked the same since his fight with Byron Mitchell in 2003 and he's been down twice in his last five fights. Lacy has never come close to tasting the canvas and he hasn't even reached his peak yet. Lacy has fought the better opposition as of late and is only improving. Calzaghe has fought at a much slower pace and may be on the downslide. In the end, Lacy's pressure, aggression and power will get to Joe and the changing of the guard in the super middleweight division will come in the eighth round via TKO."

Coyote Duran: This year's Ring Magazine World Super Middleweight Championship match between IBF/IBO titlist Jeff Lacy and WBO titlist Joe Calzaghe will be to 2006 what James Toney's IBF cruiserweight bout against then-titlist Vassiliy Jirov was to 2003. A highly anticipated fight that no one could wait for to come off between two cats who dominated a division that few care about. Add to it the drama of Jeff Lacy entering enemy territory, Joe Calzaghe seemingly having everything to prove and three trinkets and a genuine world championship and you have a potentially explosive battle and a possible candidate for Fight of the Year. But don't look too hard for the usuals, Howlers. Calzaghe will prepare to work the fight early assuming Lacy will start a little cold. But in the biggest fight of Lacy's life, expect ‘Left Hook’ to take the fight immediately to the Welsh-Italian and use aggression and his overwhelming upper-body strength to end the fight before the final bell. I'm thinking Calzaghe goes down for the count in Round Six and doesn't get up until it's safe.

Peter Chhim: Lacy TKO Calzaghe. Lacy is a beast. Add to that he spars with the best southpaw middleweight in the world, Winky Wright, and I seriously doubt Calzaghe will bring anything to the table Lacy can’t handle. Look for him to put a serious hurt on Joe whenever the two get into their heated exchanges. And because of the Englishman’s affinity to these kinds of exchanges, I have to think he’ll play right into the hands of the younger, stronger man. I doubt the fight gets past 7 or 8 rounds.

Rob Scott: If Calzaghe can take the bombs that will be thrown his way, then I give him a shot. Maybe my vision is blurry, but I don't see him doing that. Lacy 10th round TKO.

Aaron Imholte: Lacy breaks out in this fight. His power, determination, stamina and chin will just roll over Calzaghe. Lacy will start slow, Calzaghe will be competitive for awhile but look for Lacy, Calzaghe's first true test, to take over in the middle rounds and win the fight by stoppage in the 11th.

Martin Wade: Vargas-De La Hoya all over again. Lacy's ‘pressure’ is not always effective and Joe C has enough in his tank to weather the early storm. As Lacy starts to lose mustard on his shots (don’t let the muscles fool ya, he will) Calzaghe will start to come forward and land the crisper blows. Don’t get me wrong he won’t take Lacy out as Oscar did with Fernando, Lacy will make a late charge. Calzaghe will survive. Calzaghe SD.

Gabriel Montoya: This is a battle between my head and heart. My heart says Lacy is too strong, too iron-chinned, too youthful and just plain too much for Calzaghe. But my head says Calzaghe will be on the closest thing to his home turf, in the best shape of his life, is too much technically, has pop of his own, a good set of whiskers and way more experience in Championships fights. If Joe pulls a win, his entire Alphabet reign is validated. Something he should have tried to do years ago. If Lacy wins, he is officially The Man and The Man to Beat at 168. My heart is winning out. Joe will have his moments but Lacy's size, youth and power edges will win out. Lacy by 10th Round KO.

Wayne Richardson: I myself have little doubt that Lacy is going to walk through anything Calzaghe dishes out. Jeff is a young, hungry warrior. Armed with a great chin, strong fast punching ability and a tremendous will to succeed, Lacy wins this war of attrition by wearing down Joe in the sixth or seventh round.

Jason Petock: Over here in America we haven't really heard or seen much of Joe Calzaghe and what he is able to accomplish really aside of what we've read and been told about him secondhand. He has a few notable wins over Mario Veit twice and Charles Brewer and Omar Sheika, is the current WBO Super Middleweight Champion, and with an unblemished record of 40-0 (31 KOs) most of us are just waiting to see how he fairs against the powerhouse IBF and IBO Super Middleweight Champion Jeff Lacy, who stands at 21-0 (17 KOs) and is clearly looking to add to his collection. Both men have common past opponents in Omar Sheika and Robin Reid.

Personally never seeing a Calzaghe fight or him in action, it would be honestly hard for me to say whether he could beat Lacy or not. I'd give him a chance just like any other fighter, but from what I have seen of Lacy and what is still a question mark for me on Calzaghe, I'm going to have to go with ‘Left Hook’ on this one. Some people might criticize Lacy's technical delivery, but he drops bombs and I think he's just going to be way too strong for the ‘Pride of Wales’. Jeff Lacy is on his way up the boxing ladder and I think that his defeat of Calzaghe will only up the ante on the true worth of Lacy as a legitimate force in the Super Middleweight division and beyond.

Making a somewhat educated guess here, I'm going for Jeff ‘Left Hook’ Lacy by KO in the 2nd round. I think his sheer strength and onslaught is going to overwhelm the Welshman and leave him treading water for survival without a life vest.

Sean Newman: I can't see Joe taking this one. I really don't think Calzaghe can take Lacy's aggression and punch. And Lacy is going to bring it, fighting in Calzaghe's backyard. Look for Jeff to jump on Joe from the outset, and take him out via third round TKO. Lacy's chin has really yet to be tested, and I don't think he will give Calzaghe the chance to do it, either.

Benny Henderson Jr.: Calzaghe has the experience, has the power, has the skill, and won’t be an easy task for Lacy so on and so on, but I just feel that Lacy has it; he is young, hungry, and one bad mumbo jumbo! So I have to give this one to my boy Jeff. I say Jeff Lacy gets the hard earned W around the sixth or seventh round.

Julian Kasdin: Joe Calzaghe, though a long reigning titleholder, has never been the legitimate champion at 168 pounds. His entire legacy rests on this fight, as does the future of the 168-pound division. Some think that the future is Jeff Lacy; others think he is a product of an excellent hype-machine. I think Lacy will come out fast and strong, looking to test Joe's will and his chin. Joe should be able to keep distance for a time, but eventually his age and Lacy's strength and power will catch up with him, and Lacy should win this fight by close decision or a very late stoppage. Hopefully the winner gives the very deserving Mikkel Kessler a shot within the next two or three fights.

Anthony ****s: I’ve ummed and ahhed over this fight for so long and with just a few hours to go until the first bell I’m really no closer to picking a winner with any level of confidence. That said, I’ll stick my gut feeling and tip a decision win for Calzaghe, who’s handspeed, movement, ring savvy and experience should prove the difference providing he doesn’t get sucked in to exchanges.
BlackBrenny is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:24 AM   #26
dubace
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,404
vCash: 1207
Default Re: better top 5: Ward or Calzaghe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whopperdong View Post
There is a slow mo version of hopkins vs calz and it clearly shows bhop getting robbed. and its a bit sad that ppl consider his best win is against hopkins who was well past his own best.

Eubanks was a great fighter but he was never the same after the watson fight. plus had come out of retirement, was training for a lhw fight and took the calz fight on 2 weeks notice. so i dont give credit for that and can see a prime eubanks beating calz.

ward has a better res imo.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyz2cws8LBE[/ame]
dubace is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:25 AM   #27
dubace
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,404
vCash: 1207
Default Re: better top 5: Ward or Calzaghe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBrenny View Post
Yeah Kessler went and regained the WBA title quite easily after Joe vacated.. shows how good a win it was when he outclassed him.

Jeff Lacy was hyped.. but was also IBF Champ and picked to win by most..dont believe me? read this

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]


edit:

here it is.
Brent Hedtke: This one has all the ingredients of real corker. Both guys have solid chins and very respectable power. If they come out aggressive this could be a fight of the year candidate. That being said, I just don't see how Calzaghe can beat ‘Left Hook’. Joe hasn't looked the same since his fight with Byron Mitchell in 2003 and he's been down twice in his last five fights. Lacy has never come close to tasting the canvas and he hasn't even reached his peak yet. Lacy has fought the better opposition as of late and is only improving. Calzaghe has fought at a much slower pace and may be on the downslide. In the end, Lacy's pressure, aggression and power will get to Joe and the changing of the guard in the super middleweight division will come in the eighth round via TKO."

Coyote Duran: This year's Ring Magazine World Super Middleweight Championship match between IBF/IBO titlist Jeff Lacy and WBO titlist Joe Calzaghe will be to 2006 what James Toney's IBF cruiserweight bout against then-titlist Vassiliy Jirov was to 2003. A highly anticipated fight that no one could wait for to come off between two cats who dominated a division that few care about. Add to it the drama of Jeff Lacy entering enemy territory, Joe Calzaghe seemingly having everything to prove and three trinkets and a genuine world championship and you have a potentially explosive battle and a possible candidate for Fight of the Year. But don't look too hard for the usuals, Howlers. Calzaghe will prepare to work the fight early assuming Lacy will start a little cold. But in the biggest fight of Lacy's life, expect ‘Left Hook’ to take the fight immediately to the Welsh-Italian and use aggression and his overwhelming upper-body strength to end the fight before the final bell. I'm thinking Calzaghe goes down for the count in Round Six and doesn't get up until it's safe.

Peter Chhim: Lacy TKO Calzaghe. Lacy is a beast. Add to that he spars with the best southpaw middleweight in the world, Winky Wright, and I seriously doubt Calzaghe will bring anything to the table Lacy can’t handle. Look for him to put a serious hurt on Joe whenever the two get into their heated exchanges. And because of the Englishman’s affinity to these kinds of exchanges, I have to think he’ll play right into the hands of the younger, stronger man. I doubt the fight gets past 7 or 8 rounds.

Rob Scott: If Calzaghe can take the bombs that will be thrown his way, then I give him a shot. Maybe my vision is blurry, but I don't see him doing that. Lacy 10th round TKO.

Aaron Imholte: Lacy breaks out in this fight. His power, determination, stamina and chin will just roll over Calzaghe. Lacy will start slow, Calzaghe will be competitive for awhile but look for Lacy, Calzaghe's first true test, to take over in the middle rounds and win the fight by stoppage in the 11th.

Martin Wade: Vargas-De La Hoya all over again. Lacy's ‘pressure’ is not always effective and Joe C has enough in his tank to weather the early storm. As Lacy starts to lose mustard on his shots (don’t let the muscles fool ya, he will) Calzaghe will start to come forward and land the crisper blows. Don’t get me wrong he won’t take Lacy out as Oscar did with Fernando, Lacy will make a late charge. Calzaghe will survive. Calzaghe SD.

Gabriel Montoya: This is a battle between my head and heart. My heart says Lacy is too strong, too iron-chinned, too youthful and just plain too much for Calzaghe. But my head says Calzaghe will be on the closest thing to his home turf, in the best shape of his life, is too much technically, has pop of his own, a good set of whiskers and way more experience in Championships fights. If Joe pulls a win, his entire Alphabet reign is validated. Something he should have tried to do years ago. If Lacy wins, he is officially The Man and The Man to Beat at 168. My heart is winning out. Joe will have his moments but Lacy's size, youth and power edges will win out. Lacy by 10th Round KO.

Wayne Richardson: I myself have little doubt that Lacy is going to walk through anything Calzaghe dishes out. Jeff is a young, hungry warrior. Armed with a great chin, strong fast punching ability and a tremendous will to succeed, Lacy wins this war of attrition by wearing down Joe in the sixth or seventh round.

Jason Petock: Over here in America we haven't really heard or seen much of Joe Calzaghe and what he is able to accomplish really aside of what we've read and been told about him secondhand. He has a few notable wins over Mario Veit twice and Charles Brewer and Omar Sheika, is the current WBO Super Middleweight Champion, and with an unblemished record of 40-0 (31 KOs) most of us are just waiting to see how he fairs against the powerhouse IBF and IBO Super Middleweight Champion Jeff Lacy, who stands at 21-0 (17 KOs) and is clearly looking to add to his collection. Both men have common past opponents in Omar Sheika and Robin Reid.

Personally never seeing a Calzaghe fight or him in action, it would be honestly hard for me to say whether he could beat Lacy or not. I'd give him a chance just like any other fighter, but from what I have seen of Lacy and what is still a question mark for me on Calzaghe, I'm going to have to go with ‘Left Hook’ on this one. Some people might criticize Lacy's technical delivery, but he drops bombs and I think he's just going to be way too strong for the ‘Pride of Wales’. Jeff Lacy is on his way up the boxing ladder and I think that his defeat of Calzaghe will only up the ante on the true worth of Lacy as a legitimate force in the Super Middleweight division and beyond.

Making a somewhat educated guess here, I'm going for Jeff ‘Left Hook’ Lacy by KO in the 2nd round. I think his sheer strength and onslaught is going to overwhelm the Welshman and leave him treading water for survival without a life vest.

Sean Newman: I can't see Joe taking this one. I really don't think Calzaghe can take Lacy's aggression and punch. And Lacy is going to bring it, fighting in Calzaghe's backyard. Look for Jeff to jump on Joe from the outset, and take him out via third round TKO. Lacy's chin has really yet to be tested, and I don't think he will give Calzaghe the chance to do it, either.

Benny Henderson Jr.: Calzaghe has the experience, has the power, has the skill, and won’t be an easy task for Lacy so on and so on, but I just feel that Lacy has it; he is young, hungry, and one bad mumbo jumbo! So I have to give this one to my boy Jeff. I say Jeff Lacy gets the hard earned W around the sixth or seventh round.

Julian Kasdin: Joe Calzaghe, though a long reigning titleholder, has never been the legitimate champion at 168 pounds. His entire legacy rests on this fight, as does the future of the 168-pound division. Some think that the future is Jeff Lacy; others think he is a product of an excellent hype-machine. I think Lacy will come out fast and strong, looking to test Joe's will and his chin. Joe should be able to keep distance for a time, but eventually his age and Lacy's strength and power will catch up with him, and Lacy should win this fight by close decision or a very late stoppage. Hopefully the winner gives the very deserving Mikkel Kessler a shot within the next two or three fights.

Anthony ****s: I’ve ummed and ahhed over this fight for so long and with just a few hours to go until the first bell I’m really no closer to picking a winner with any level of confidence. That said, I’ll stick my gut feeling and tip a decision win for Calzaghe, who’s handspeed, movement, ring savvy and experience should prove the difference providing he doesn’t get sucked in to exchanges.
I didn't read this shit, but I have to wonder if you're bailey's lil brother or something?
dubace is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:27 AM   #28
BlackBrenny
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 6,573
vCash: 75
Default Re: better top 5: Ward or Calzaghe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubace View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

NO! you're reaching, looking for shit that just isnt there
BlackBrenny is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:28 AM   #29
BlackBrenny
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 6,573
vCash: 75
Default Re: better top 5: Ward or Calzaghe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubace View Post
I didn't read this shit, but I have to wonder if you're bailey's lil brother or something?

try reading it....THEN tell me nobody gave Lacy a chance because he was a bum...keep in mind Toney and Jones picked Lacy to win aswell...
BlackBrenny is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:31 AM   #30
BlackBrenny
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 6,573
vCash: 75
Default Re: better top 5: Ward or Calzaghe?

"JAMES TONEY - former super middleweight world champion

Joe Calzaghe-Jeff Lacy is a mismatch. Lacy is going to destroy that boy. He's too strong, he's a fighter - he's proved himself.

Calzaghe never did anything. He beat Chris Eubank nine years ago, but what has he done since then? He's a joke, that's why he keeps pulling out of fights.

I wouldn't be surprised if he pulled out of this one. Everybody in the UK is over-protected, but Lacy will be OK, because he's a fighter

Currently JT is not answering his phone, and I've tried his "cell" too"

BlackBrenny is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013