Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Who's Top 5 Wins are Better?
Ward 24 31.58%
Calzaghe 51 67.11%
Even (For you indecisive people) 1 1.32%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-21-2011, 12:57 AM   #46
Rumsfeld
East Side VIP

vCash: 655
Default Re: better top 5: Ward or Calzaghe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonito Smoak View Post
When considering the context of the win over Hopkins, which I'd say at least 40% of people disagree with the scoring, against the thorough ass beating Ward laid on Kessler, which 0% of people disagree with the scoring, well, I'd go with a push.
I don't think that's quite fair.

The fact is Calzaghe was awarded the victory against Hopkins, and those who believe Hopkins won among fans constitute a minority.

Calzaghe beat Hopkins, and Ward does not have a victory of that magnitude.

Calzaghe gets the edge now, but like I already said--the comparison is inherently unfair.

Ward's championship caliber fighting career is only now beginning, and Ward already has the potential to pass Calzaghe--and perhaps even sooner rather than later.

Calzaghe's career is over.

I understand these types of discussions are interesting, and I find myself pondering these same type of scenarios. I just think keeping perspective is imperative.

I won't belittle Calzaghe's greatness, and I won't undermine Ward's potential for his own claim to greatness.

Joe was a great fighter and Andre appears to have the goods to be a great fighter in the making.
Rumsfeld is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2011, 12:58 AM   #47
BlackBrenny
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by whopperdong View Post
mayb so but that doesnt change wat happened.
calz was allowed to hold and lean all over reid and who do u think gets the point deductions?

plus the ref always allows calz to move away from the clinches but physically holds up reid. was something i found strange watchin that fight.

Nah man, I like Robin Reid, a LOT, one of my favs, but the fight he was royally ****ed over in was not the Calkz fight, but the Ottke fight.
BlackBrenny is offline  Top
Old 12-21-2011, 12:59 AM   #48
Rumsfeld
East Side VIP

vCash: 655

Incidentally, one of the first times I interviewed Ward I actually asked him how he thought he would match-up with Calzaghe. This was from sometime before the Allan Green fight.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

On what he thought about Joe Calzaghe as a fighter and how he believess he would match up against a prime Calzaghe:

“Joe Calzaghe’s a winner—that’s what you got to look at. Not to pat myself on the back, I have a lot more work that needs to be done and a lot more proving still to do, but I think that that’s one quality that I have. I just love to win and I just thank God that in each fight, even as an amateur, we found a way to win and that’s what Joe Calzaghe does. You can always nitpick and pry a guy’s style apart, you can find weaknesses on tape—we all have weaknesses—but at the end of the day, can he win? And Joe Calzaghe has proven over a long period of time that he is a winner—against sluggers, against other boxers, against whomever. So you have to give him his just due. Stylistically, I think it would have been a great match-up and I have a lot of respect for the guy, but of course, as a young fighter and a young lion I feel like I would definitely win the fight and I think I would win it handily. But that’s something we may never know about. I don’t know if Joe’s ever going to come back and obviously I got a lot of work carved out for me in the Super Six, but that’s definitely a dream match that I would look forward to because you would have two guys who have flaws, of course, have a lot of good strengths, but two guys who are determined to win. I think that would have given the fans just a tremendous, tremendous fight.”
Rumsfeld is offline  Top
Old 12-21-2011, 01:00 AM   #49
whopperdong
"sorry dan, im the man"
ESB Addict

vCash: 367

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBrenny View Post
Nah man, I like Robin Reid, a LOT, one of my favs, but the fight he was royally ****ed over in was not the Calkz fight, but the Ottke fight.
ive never watched that fight. doesnt surprise me though. fukin germans.
whopperdong is offline  Top
Old 12-21-2011, 01:02 AM   #50
whopperdong
"sorry dan, im the man"
ESB Addict

vCash: 367

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumsfeld View Post
Incidentally, one of the first times I interviewed Ward I actually asked him how he thought he would match-up with Calzaghe. This was from sometime before the Allan Green fight.

On what he thought about Joe Calzaghe as a fighter and how he believess he would match up against a prime Calzaghe:

“Joe Calzaghe’s a winner—that’s what you got to look at. Not to pat myself on the back, I have a lot more work that needs to be done and a lot more proving still to do, but I think that that’s one quality that I have. I just love to win and I just thank God that in each fight, even as an amateur, we found a way to win and that’s what Joe Calzaghe does. You can always nitpick and pry a guy’s style apart, you can find weaknesses on tape—we all have weaknesses—but at the end of the day, can he win? And Joe Calzaghe has proven over a long period of time that he is a winner—against sluggers, against other boxers, against whomever. So you have to give him his just due. Stylistically, I think it would have been a great match-up and I have a lot of respect for the guy, but of course, as a young fighter and a young lion I feel like I would definitely win the fight and I think I would win it handily. But that’s something we may never know about. I don’t know if Joe’s ever going to come back and obviously I got a lot of work carved out for me in the Super Six, but that’s definitely a dream match that I would look forward to because you would have two guys who have flaws, of course, have a lot of good strengths, but two guys who are determined to win. I think that would have given the fans just a tremendous, tremendous fight.”

haha thats like a polite way of saying ill spank the cunt.
whopperdong is offline  Top
Old 12-21-2011, 01:04 AM   #51
Brit Sillynanny
Cold Hard Truth
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 100

Quote:
Look at his ****ing eyes, do you not think the ****ing hooks to the face cut open Sheikas RIGHT then LEFT eyebrow? I mean, you must have a head the size of saturn to cut open a guy like that...unless it was caused by punches...Oh wait..it was...
I can't help if you are intent upon cuddling Joe's willy, man. If you need impartiality ask some of those that had good ringside seats. There were two head clashes. Sheika obviously got the worst of it. Then there were cuts. You've never seen head clashes directly cause and/or indirectly contribute to a cut's development on a fighter? Really? Why ignore the facts? It is what it is. Call Sheika. I'm sure he can confirm that he was butted, cut, and the fight was stopped prematurely.
Brit Sillynanny is offline  Top
Old 12-21-2011, 01:04 AM   #52
BlackBrenny
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by whopperdong View Post
ive never watched that fight. doesnt surprise me though. fukin germans.

OMFG really? you've never seen Ottke Reid? You need to watch this travesty

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSFJDgWfbz4[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Hg7cI0S00I&feature=related[/ame]
Old 12-21-2011, 01:05 AM   #53
BlackBrenny
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit Sillynanny View Post
I can't help if you are intent upon cuddling Joe's willy, man. If you need impartiality ask some of those that hat good ringside seats. There were two head clashes. Sheika obviously got the worst of it. Then there were cuts. You've never seen head clashes directly cause and/or indirectly contribute to a cut's development on a fighter? Really? Why ignore the facts? It is what it is. Call Sheika. I'm sure he can confirm that he was butted, cut, and the fight was stopped prematurely.

aye ok mate if you say so, Sheika never got outclassed and hooked to shit, he got cheated by headbutts...if you say so mate
Old 12-21-2011, 01:12 AM   #54
Brit Sillynanny
Cold Hard Truth
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
aye ok mate if you say so, Sheika never got outclassed and hooked to shit, he got cheated by headbutts...if you say so mate
Listen .. in a lousy era, in a weak division, with few decent opponents when the opportunity was available to put together competitive athletes in the ring like Calz and Sheika you should want to see a satisfactory conclusion not a ref stoppage due to a cut. Sheika was better than more than half of the fighters Joe defended against. A rematch with Sheika - due to it ending the way it did - should be something you are in favor of. You can believe Joe would have won in any event but surely a rematch would have made for a far more interesting and competitive fight than about a dozen of his other defenses during his career.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:22 AM   #55
BlackBrenny
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Listen .. in a lousy era, in a weak division, with few decent opponents when the opportunity was available to put together competitive athletes in the ring like Calz and Sheika you should want to see a satisfactory conclusion not a ref stoppage due to a cut. Sheika was better than more than half of the fighters Joe defended against. A rematch with Sheika - due to it ending the way it did - should be something you are in favor of. You can believe Joe would have won in any event but surely a rematch would have made for a far more interesting and competitive fight than about a dozen of his other defenses during his career.

Well ok, I would grant him that rematch, but he would lose again, because evee though Sheika at his leanest and meanest was a good fighter, Calzaghe BEAT him, and would always beat him one on one. Well, give or take a few freak accidents.

I like this fight, 17-0 Calzaghe vs 22-0 Eastend "hardman". Mark Delaney. Delaney had a hardcore following, his brother was cruiserweight Garry "The Hammer" Delaney, who is now in jail for manslaughter, he beat a man to death.

The fight takes place in Es***, it is very much Delaneys home venue, Delaneys fans abuse Calzaghe and spit on him.

Calzaghe responds in kind to Delaney..

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INnkhQn23VM[/ame]
Old 12-21-2011, 01:30 AM   #56
dubace
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1207

Quote:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACgTJhEdj5M[/ame]

of calzaghe's 32 knockouts, i want to say maybe 6 were legit.
dubace is offline  Top
Old 12-21-2011, 01:38 AM   #57
BlackBrenny
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubace View Post

of calzaghe's 32 knockouts, i want to say maybe 6 were legit.

Ah.. THAT video, took longer than usual for it to pop up
Old 12-21-2011, 01:39 AM   #58
Nonito Smoak
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 2364

Just watched Calzaghe/Sheika...

It's pretty damn obvious in the first two rounds that Calzaghe's game plan included much dirty fighting: using his head as a battering ram from the get-go, pressing on the neck and holding awkwardly on the inside occasionally flickering up rabbit punches, and throwing a crazy intentional rabbit punch in the second.

And yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhh... the stoppage? Seriously? Not the worst I've EVER seen, but pretty F'ing bad.
Nonito Smoak is offline  Top
Old 12-21-2011, 01:40 AM   #59
Brit Sillynanny
Cold Hard Truth
ESB Senior Member

Quote:

I like this fight, 17-0 Calzaghe vs 22-0 Eastend "hardman". Mark Delaney. Delaney had a hardcore following, his brother was cruiserweight Garry "The Hammer" Delaney, who is now in jail for manslaughter, he beat a man to death.

The fight takes place in Es***, it is very much Delaneys home venue, Delaneys fans abuse Calzaghe and spit on him.

Calzaghe responds in kind to Delaney..

Yep. I remember. He was game but outclassed. There were some really terrible opponents (old, untalented, fat, etc.) before and after this fight (pre-title) but this fight at least had some tension as Mark came to fight and as he was undefeated had a belief it was possible - for a bit.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:42 AM   #60
BlackBrenny
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonito Smoak View Post
Just watched Calzaghe/Sheika...

It's pretty damn obvious in the first two rounds that Calzaghe's game plan included much dirty fighting: using his head as a battering ram from the get-go, pressing on the neck and holding awkwardly on the inside occasionally flickering up rabbit punches, and throwing a crazy intentional rabbit punch in the second.

And yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhh... the stoppage? Seriously? Not the worst I've EVER seen, but pretty F'ing bad.

But did you REALLY watch it? have you seen those cuts (caused by punches) in HD? Sheikas eyes were ****ed, plus his arms were going limp with each shot lol.

he didnt "push the referee away in rage!". he ****ing threw his balnky out of his cot and sulked to his corner.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum