Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 12-20-2011, 09:55 PM   #1
davidwatts
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default anything like ali\frazier 3?

i've just finished watching ali\frazier 3 again, and i'm wondering if there has been any 5 round, or even 3 round mma fight like that?
one where both fighters were dominant at different times during the fight, and one which was so brutal?

maybe its just not possible with so few rounds?
davidwatts is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2011, 09:59 PM   #2
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177
Default Re: anything like ali\frazier 3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwatts View Post
i've just finished watching ali\frazier 3 again, and i'm wondering if there has been any 5 round, or even 3 round mma fight like that?
one where both fighters were dominant at different times during the fight, and one which was so brutal?

maybe its just not possible with so few rounds?
Half the board will hate this, but watch Griffin-Bonnar if you haven't. Nowhere near Ali-Frazier in skill level, but it was a blood and guts back and forth war of attrition with immense historical significance.

And recently the Shogun Rua - Dan Henderson match was very dramatic. Both fighters are unquestioned greats of the sport, though neither is on the top of the tree at the moment or likely to be again. Still, both are certainly relevant fighters. Not all action all the way through but it features tremendous swings in momentum and lots of suspense.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Old 12-20-2011, 10:13 PM   #3
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post
Half the board will hate this, but watch Griffin-Bonnar if you haven't. Nowhere near Ali-Frazier in skill level, but it was a blood and guts back and forth war of attrition with immense historical significance.

And recently the Shogun Rua - Dan Henderson match was very dramatic. Both fighters are unquestioned greats of the sport, though neither is on the top of the tree at the moment or likely to be again. Still, both are certainly relevant fighters. Not all action all the way through but it features tremendous swings in momentum and lots of suspense.

This question and similar seem to be common occurrences. Griffin-Bonnar is a good call. But MMA's answer to Ali-Frazier hasn't happened yet. Even Dana White acknowledges that.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:21 PM   #4
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spider View Post
This question and similar seem to be common occurrences. Griffin-Bonnar is a good call. But MMA's answer to Ali-Frazier hasn't happened yet. Even Dana White acknowledges that.
Yeah, Ali-Frazier was a perfect storm. We could go back to the PRIDE era, but that's really a different sport/era of MMA entirely. The sport simply didn't have enough significance to produce an Ali-Frazier. In MMA's modern age, there hasn't been a true equivalent. Griffin-Bonnar is the closest because of its historical impact and it really was an exciting war, but nobody pretends that they were ATG elite fighters.

Although it's worth noting that Bonnar is still coming up with good wins after several years of post-TUF easy living and reduced ambition. And Forrest hung around at the top level for years and ended up as a decorated LHW champion with some good wins over legends of the sport, so it's not like they turned out to be a pair of cans.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:32 PM   #5
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:
Yeah, Ali-Frazier was a perfect storm. We could go back to the PRIDE era, but that's really a different sport/era of MMA entirely. The sport simply didn't have enough significance to produce an Ali-Frazier. In MMA's modern age, there hasn't been a true equivalent. Griffin-Bonnar is the closest because of its historical impact and it really was an exciting war, but nobody pretends that they were ATG elite fighters.

Although it's worth noting that Bonnar is still coming up with good wins after several years of post-TUF easy living and reduced ambition. And Forrest hung around at the top level for years and ended up as a decorated LHW champion with some good wins over legends of the sport, so it's not like they turned out to be a pair of cans.

Good post. Boxing runs fairly deep with great match-ups like the Ail-Frazier and Holyfield-Bowe trilogies. But it has also been around a long time compared to MMA. The first genuine MMA mega match-up may not be too far away lets hope.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:35 PM   #6
Beekeeper
Bedtime Story, Aoki Style
ESB Addict

vCash: 277

The Aoki-Hansen trilogy is far more similar than Boner-Griffin, it is the best call.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Beekeeper is offline  Top
Old 12-20-2011, 11:38 PM   #7
Ai-edy2007
STOCKTON 209 MOTHER****ER
ESB Addict

nope.
Ai-edy2007 is offline  Top
Old 12-20-2011, 11:47 PM   #8
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Quote:
Good post. Boxing runs fairly deep with great match-ups like the Ail-Frazier and Holyfield-Bowe trilogies. But it has also been around a long time compared to MMA. The first genuine MMA mega match-up may not be too far away lets hope.
I suspect that some MMA fights and rivalries will gain in stature over time. GSP-Hughes comes to mind.

Also depending on how the rematch goes (if it happens in a timely fashion) Silva vs Sonnen might well be looked back on as a legendary rivalry.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:02 AM   #9
davidwatts
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

i'd forgotten about the griffin\bonner fight, that was fantastic.
i'll go and check out Aoki-Hansen.

do you think that there'll ever be a time when a fight would be over 5 rounds? i suppose fighting more than 5 would be incredibly difficult because of the nature of mma. meaning that there would probably be a ko or tko prior to reaching any later rounds.
davidwatts is offline  Top
Old 12-21-2011, 12:06 AM   #10
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwatts View Post
i'd forgotten about the griffin\bonner fight, that was fantastic.
i'll go and check out Aoki-Hansen.

do you think that there'll ever be a time when a fight would be over 5 rounds? i suppose fighting more than 5 would be incredibly difficult because of the nature of mma. meaning that there would probably be a ko or tko prior to reaching any later rounds.
No. 5 rounds is enough. If you haven't gotten the better of your opponent over 25 minutes, then he deserves to hear the final bell.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:21 AM   #11
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:
I suspect that some MMA fights and rivalries will gain in stature over time. GSP-Hughes comes to mind.

Also depending on how the rematch goes (if it happens in a timely fashion) Silva vs Sonnen might well be looked back on as a legendary rivalry.

GSP-Hughes and Silva-Sonnen are both good calls. Would be great to see Spider and Sonnen go at it 2 more times. But it seems very unlikely.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:20 AM   #12
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Quote:
GSP-Hughes and Silva-Sonnen are both good calls. Would be great to see Spider and Sonnen go at it 2 more times. But it seems very unlikely.
Only one fight between them is needed anyway though. This fight is only going to go in a couple of possible directions. Either Chael gets stopped again somewhere along the line, or Anderson gets wrestle****ed for 25 minutes instead of 23.

If Silva knocks Chael out or submits him again, then no rubber match because Chael is 0-2, he had two chances and missed them both.

If Chael does the same damn thing as he did last time except adds on another 2 minutes without getting caught in a sub, then no rubber match. There's never a rubber match if the "rounds won" column after two fights reads 9-1 in one guy's favour.

But yeah, if they rematch and Sonnen dominates him again and takes a 5-0 decision, then Silva-Sonnen becomes one of the sport's top-tier greatest rivalries. In that scenario, history won't judge Anderson harshly for spending so much time on his back against Chael. Every fighter has a guy or a style that he just plain doesn't match up well with. Anderson is no exception. But even a lopsided defeat would merely elevate the significance of his first victory IMO.

So basically I think that three fights would be too many for those two guys. But one fight is clearly not enough.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:59 AM   #13
PivotPunch
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Griffin-Bonnar I Shogun-Hendo Edgar-Maynard II&III
PivotPunch is offline  Top
Old 12-21-2011, 05:01 AM   #14
Will Cooling
Belt holder
ESB Addict

There's nothing like Ali/Frazier 3 - in boxing or MMA. That fight stands apart - it is the pinnacle of combat sports that probably will never be topped.
Will Cooling is offline  Top
Old 12-21-2011, 05:15 AM   #15
Amrn4s
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Nah not really. I think Hendo/Rua would be the closest.
Amrn4s is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum