Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 12-21-2011, 05:29 AM   #16
The Spider

vCash:
Default Re: anything like ali\frazier 3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post
Only one fight between them is needed anyway though. This fight is only going to go in a couple of possible directions. Either Chael gets stopped again somewhere along the line, or Anderson gets wrestle****ed for 25 minutes instead of 23.

If Silva knocks Chael out or submits him again, then no rubber match because Chael is 0-2, he had two chances and missed them both.

If Chael does the same damn thing as he did last time except adds on another 2 minutes without getting caught in a sub, then no rubber match. There's never a rubber match if the "rounds won" column after two fights reads 9-1 in one guy's favour.

But yeah, if they rematch and Sonnen dominates him again and takes a 5-0 decision, then Silva-Sonnen becomes one of the sport's top-tier greatest rivalries. In that scenario, history won't judge Anderson harshly for spending so much time on his back against Chael. Every fighter has a guy or a style that he just plain doesn't match up well with. Anderson is no exception. But even a lopsided defeat would merely elevate the significance of his first victory IMO.

So basically I think that three fights would be too many for those two guys. But one fight is clearly not enough.

I agree with you except to add that if Sonnen did happen to level things (and I sure hope he doesn't), a decider could potentially be UFC's biggest ever attraction.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2011, 06:13 AM   #17
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwatts View Post
i've just finished watching ali\frazier 3 again, and i'm wondering if there has been any 5 round, or even 3 round mma fight like that?
one where both fighters were dominant at different times during the fight, and one which was so brutal?

maybe its just not possible with so few rounds?
Shogun-Hendo
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 12-21-2011, 06:43 AM   #18
Primate
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by PivotPunch View Post
Edgar-Maynard II&III
I'm surprised this has only been mentioned once, it's the first thing I thought of.
Primate is offline  Top
Old 12-21-2011, 07:59 AM   #19
Matty lll
Sweet Scientist
ESB Addict

MMA fights tend to be quite 'cagey', both guys are afraid to commit because it doesn't take much to get knocked out with the tiny gloves. There are a few though, mostly in the lower weight classes though because they don't hit as hard, Chan Sung Jung vs Leonard Garcia I was really good. Horrible technique but a good exciting brawl.

Maynard vs Edgar II was also great, I haven't seen the 3rd one yet but I hear it was good too. Obviously these aren't up to par with Ali-Frazier for me anyway but that is probably a little bias on my part.
Matty lll is offline  Top
Old 12-21-2011, 08:15 AM   #20
achillesthegreat
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primate View Post
I'm surprised this has only been mentioned once, it's the first thing I thought of.
I don't think he is discussing a great trilogy but more a hellacious fight that goes right down to the wire. Mind you, Edgar-Maynard III was give and take and went into the 4th round.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:15 AM   #21
achillesthegreat
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty lll View Post
MMA fights tend to be quite 'cagey', both guys are afraid to commit because it doesn't take much to get knocked out with the tiny gloves. There are a few though, mostly in the lower weight classes though because they don't hit as hard, Chan Sung Jung vs Leonard Garcia I was really good. Horrible technique but a good exciting brawl.

Maynard vs Edgar II was also great, I haven't seen the 3rd one yet but I hear it was good too. Obviously these aren't up to par with Ali-Frazier for me anyway but that is probably a little bias on my part.
Cancel everything and get on it. It's awesome. Probably better than I and II.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:20 AM   #22
Primate
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat View Post
I don't think he is discussing a great trilogy but more a hellacious fight that goes right down to the wire. Mind you, Edgar-Maynard III was give and take and went into the 4th round.
II fits that pretty well, and there'll be arguments forever over who should've got the nod. And III was touch and go for Frankie up until the finish. Combine them into one fight and that's a hell of a roller coaster.
Primate is offline  Top
Old 12-21-2011, 08:21 AM   #23
WATERBOY
I Worship Steven Tucker
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Same here there my 2 fave mma fights! But for me nothin tops a great boxing match!
WATERBOY is online now  Top
Old 12-21-2011, 08:23 AM   #24
Primate
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Also just thought of Pettis/Henderson. That fight was back and forth the whole way and it easily could've gone either way, right up until that kick.
Primate is offline  Top
Old 12-21-2011, 09:23 AM   #25
achillesthegreat
East Side VIP

Quote:
Also just thought of Pettis/Henderson. That fight was back and forth the whole way and it easily could've gone either way, right up until that kick.
That is what makes the kick even more amazing!
Old 12-21-2011, 11:51 AM   #26
1HitterQuitter
RUTHLESS BY LAW
ESB Senior Member

i liked Parisyan vs Sanchez

wasnt as brutal but pretty good back and fourth. close fight
1HitterQuitter is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2011, 04:44 AM   #27
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177

In terms of action, high-level quality of fighting and historical significance, Penn-Hughes 2 is a good watch. Two ATGs close enough to their primes that the fighting was tremendous quality. And it finished with a satisfying and definitive ending, even though not everybody was impressed by the performance.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum