Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-31-2008, 12:24 PM   #1
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default How would Jimmy Young do..........

Against fighters like Mike Weaver, Lennox Lewis, and John Tate had he fought them?
Titan1 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2008, 01:32 PM   #2
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: How would Jimmy Young do..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan1
Against fighters like Mike Weaver, Lennox Lewis, and John Tate had he fought them?
I think its possible that Young could have beaten anyone of those guys, and at the same time could have lost to anyone of them as well. Young was fast, awkword, and illusive. He gave quite a bit of trouble to both great boxers and deadly punchers. Of the three listed above, I probably would have given him the best chance against John Tate, due to the fact that Tate had a very short prime and was relatively unproven even at his best. If he fought Mike Weaver in the mid to late 70's, when Mike was still a work in progress, he might have scored a decision, but a fully developed Weaver would have my vote to stop him late. Mike was an S.O.B of a fighter to try and keep off, and often gave even the best boxers a nightmare of a time. His constant pressure might have eventually gotten to Young in a 12 or 15 round fight. As for Lennox Lewis, this is difficult to say. Lewis defeated many good punchers, swarmers, etc. But never really faced that many good technical boxers, therefore it would be hard to determine how he'd react to one. If forced to make a choice, I'd probably pick Lennox due to his superior size, strength, reach, and resume, but this is a very shallow way to make a prediction. I'm not sure how well Young and Lewis would look against one another.
mr. magoo is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum