Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-31-2008, 12:14 PM   #16
dmt
Hardest hitting hw ever
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Willie Meehan

Has wins over Dillon, Langford and Dermpsey but regularly fought 4 rounders.
dmt is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2008, 01:12 PM   #17
Sonny's jab

vCash:

He beat Langford and Dempsey.
Some idiots will use that to conclude that Langford and Dempsey were crap.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:22 PM   #18
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I don't know anything about Willie Meehan, but I'm not surpised to here that he was difficult to beat in 4 round matches. A lot of fighters can be tricky or hard to catch in the early rounds. You don't really have a lot of time to figure a guy out in just a few rounds, and of course stamina doesn't really come into play in such a short duration. Take for example, a lot of guys who were very effective in the amateurs, where fights are only three rounds long, but after turning pro, were not very successful. There were also people like Greg Page who were very effective sparring sessions, but did not always look very good in an actual fight. Also, how many times did we see great fighters behind on the scorecards against average opposition before dusting them in the mid to late rounds? Some of those guys might have lost those fights had they been scheduled for a mere 4 rounds. probably the last and more important factor, is that a lot of people have pointed out that Dempsey's fights with Meehan were not really official bouts that were sanctioned, rather exhibitions or something to that effect. Again, I don't know if this is true or not, as I know nothing of Meehan, but if this is indeed the case, then Dempsey's matches with him can't be taken too seriously.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 01:35 PM   #19
UpWithEvil
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

"I don't see much chance of fighting for several months, although I think Kearns ought to take up some of these phony challenges. Willie Meehan doesn't amount to anything. He's a cheese fighter. He can't hit or box. All he can do is cover, clinch, and stall. At San Francisco, in that benefit bout, Kearns had to promise him I would not knock him out before he would go on. Personally I think Meehan and I would make a bad match, but if the public thinks enough of it to offer $30,000 I don't see why I should not take it."

- Jack Dempsey, 14 Sept 1919 as quoted in the NY Times

A whopping $30,000! Boy, Tex Rickard really changed things for Dempsey, that's for sure.
UpWithEvil is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 02:13 PM   #20
Sardu
RIP Mr. Bun: 2007-2012
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
I don't know anything about Willie Meehan, but I'm not surpised to here that he was difficult to beat in 4 round matches. A lot of fighters can be tricky or hard to catch in the early rounds. You don't really have a lot of time to figure a guy out in just a few rounds, and of course stamina doesn't really come into play in such a short duration. Take for example, a lot of guys who were very effective in the amateurs, where fights are only three rounds long, but after turning pro, were not very successful. There were also people like Greg Page who were very effective sparring sessions, but did not always look very good in an actual fight. Also, how many times did we see great fighters behind on the scorecards against average opposition before dusting them in the mid to late rounds? Some of those guys might have lost those fights had they been scheduled for a mere 4 rounds. probably the last and more important factor, is that a lot of people have pointed out that Dempsey's fights with Meehan were not really official bouts that were sanctioned, rather exhibitions or something to that effect. Again, I don't know if this is true or not, as I know nothing of Meehan, but if this is indeed the case, then Dempsey's matches with him can't be taken too seriously.

Great post. I believe the subject of Meehan has been fully explained here. Yes, they are loses on Dempsey's record but have no effect on his greatness or historical standing.
Sardu is online now  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 02:49 PM   #21
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpWithEvil
"I don't see much chance of fighting for several months, although I think Kearns ought to take up some of these phony challenges. Willie Meehan doesn't amount to anything. He's a cheese fighter. He can't hit or box. All he can do is cover, clinch, and stall. At San Francisco, in that benefit bout, Kearns had to promise him I would not knock him out before he would go on. Personally I think Meehan and I would make a bad match, but if the public thinks enough of it to offer $30,000 I don't see why I should not take it."

- Jack Dempsey, 14 Sept 1919 as quoted in the NY Times

A whopping $30,000! Boy, Tex Rickard really changed things for Dempsey, that's for sure.
If Willie Meehan was cheese, then what is John Ruiz? Extra cheese?
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 02:50 PM   #22
UpWithEvil
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza
If Willie Meehan was cheese, then what is John Ruiz?
Queso, por supuesto!
UpWithEvil is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum