Old 01-31-2008, 10:50 AM   #16
ThePlugInBabies
♪ ♫
ESB Addict

vCash: 224
Default Re: I doubt taylor-pavlik 2 will get many buys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calabrese
Either way you slice it - this should be on FREE HBO, but what are ya gonna do? HBO knows that the entire town of Youngstown will order the fight (same with Little Rock, Arkansas) and all the boxing die hards will as well - that could amount for 300-500K buys. We'll see.
don't worry. bernard hopkins public execution at the hands of the supernatural one is free for you lot stateside.
ThePlugInBabies is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2008, 10:54 AM   #17
jsimps
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePlugInBabies
pfffft, yankbums.
Kelly, will cross the atlantic if he must. Trust, he will not run and hide from anyone or any place.
jsimps is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 11:52 AM   #18
JETSKI
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Well this weekend HBO will air the preview show for the bout so that should help - but I do agree that they have done a piss poor job of promoting this bout. Pavlik's promoters should have him on the Tonight Show, Good Morning America, Sportscenter, etc. I don't understand why these promoters don't get their guys on these big shows to help increase their exposure!

I wonder if HBO's banking on Taylor winning this fight so that a rubber match is established at 160 for all the marbles - maybe then they'll go balls deep and promote the **** out of it with another "24/7" show?

Either way you slice it - this should be on FREE HBO, but what are ya gonna do? HBO knows that the entire town of Youngstown will order the fight (same with Little Rock, Arkansas) and all the boxing die hards will as well - that could amount for 300-500K buys. We'll see.
Are you sure the prefight show is this weekend? I thought it would be Feb. 9th, the Sat. one week before the fight.

Screw HBO wanting to see a rubber match. This fight means big bucks for Kelly, plus that '0' in his loss column must be preserved! Thats what Kelly wants & thats all that counts.
JETSKI is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 11:54 AM   #19
Pimp C
Houston VS Everybody
East Side VIP

vCash: 138

I'll be buying it.
Pimp C is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 11:58 AM   #20
JETSKI
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimp C
I'll be buying it.
I know you wouldn't miss it. Kelly's the most exciting KO fighter to come along in awhile.

JETSKI is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 12:01 PM   #21
kirk
C1
East Side VIP

vCash: 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillarry
Yeah I agree...Hard to imagine that this fight is about 2 weeks away and Im not really that exciting about it..Poor promotion on HBOs part considering how exciting the first fight was.

They are really missing a chance to promote two up and coming fighters
man if you need HBO to get to you excited for this rematch then thats on you...

I cant ****ing wait...
kirk is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 12:04 PM   #22
kirk
C1
East Side VIP

I dont see how this fight has been promoted any differant then any other fight to be honest.... the only thing i see less of is press conferances available on the internet and stuff... a lot of fights have press tours and such, this didnt seem to have one and if it did i missed it. They still have The Countdown coming up....

I guess i dont see how well other fights are promoted.... but to me i dont see anything drastically differant accept for press conferances. On the Tito vs Roy fight they had a preview of this more then once... and im sure it will be building down the stretch.
kirk is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 12:57 PM   #23
Middleweight
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Well this weekend HBO will air the preview show for the bout so that should help - but I do agree that they have done a piss poor job of promoting this bout. Pavlik's promoters should have him on the Tonight Show, Good Morning America, Sportscenter, etc. I don't understand why these promoters don't get their guys on these big shows to help increase their exposure!

I wonder if HBO's banking on Taylor winning this fight so that a rubber match is established at 160 for all the marbles - maybe then they'll go balls deep and promote the **** out of it with another "24/7" show?

I think Pavlik and his training team are good promoters. Pavlik actually spends a ton of time supporting his fans and attending local events. Remember when Pavlik was a guest on Friday Night Fights? Also, Pavlik and Loewe tried hard to make the fight non-ppv so that all his fans could see it.

The blame goes to Arum, and to a lesser degree, HBO. They bear the responsibility for promoting the fight nationally and deciding whether or not it is ppv.
Middleweight is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 01:14 PM   #24
Middleweight
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk
I dont see how this fight has been promoted any differant then any other fight to be honest.... the only thing i see less of is press conferances available on the internet and stuff... a lot of fights have press tours and such, this didnt seem to have one and if it did i missed it. They still have The Countdown coming up....

I guess i dont see how well other fights are promoted.... but to me i dont see anything drastically differant accept for press conferances. On the Tito vs Roy fight they had a preview of this more then once... and im sure it will be building down the stretch.
Well, you just said how it is different. The press conferences are not available on the internet, and there is less general mention of the fight. This is more of an indication that the fight is not highly anticipated than a reason. Of course, I am not sure that the fight will sell poorly, but you just made the same observation as I did: this fight is not being talked about that much.

Here are some examples of good promotion. Mayweather was in Dancing With the Stars, and mentioned the fight at every opportunity. Other celebrities were inclined to go to the fight, and this built hype. Mayweather-De La Hoya is another example. Pavlik-Taylor I was promoted pretty well. Taylor did a lot of acting in press conferences. HBO hyped up Miranda to no end, and Pavlik fought Miranda on a Taylor undercard. Also, Manny Steward did a lot of uncharacteristic shit talking. Because of mud slinging, Vargas vs. Mayorga did pretty well even though both fighters are utter shit.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:24 PM   #25
Lampley
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I think HBO is going to push very hard starting next week. You guys have to remember that this week is all about the Super Bowl, and any attempt at promotion is going to get overshadowed by that.

Last year this same weekend, Dawson fought Adamek and there was very little discussion of that bout, even here. It's a tough time to promote anything other than the NFL.
Lampley is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 01:25 PM   #26
kirk
C1
East Side VIP

vargas vs mayorga did not do well imo... i believe it got 150,000 buys... that is shit.

You just named 2 superfights though... mayweather vs anyone is going to be bigger then this fight... thats just the way it is.

And we still have two more weeks, another press conferance, countdown, weigh in, ect.... i think its gonna be fine.
kirk is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 01:52 PM   #27
Middleweight
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampley
I think HBO is going to push very hard starting next week. You guys have to remember that this week is all about the Super Bowl, and any attempt at promotion is going to get overshadowed by that.

Last year this same weekend, Dawson fought Adamek and there was very little discussion of that bout, even here. It's a tough time to promote anything other than the NFL.
Good point. Didn't think of that.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:11 PM   #28
booradley
Mean People Kick Ass!
East Side VIP

vCash: 622

We're buying it aroud here! I can't wait to see Kelly crush Taylor. I actually do like JT, but Pavlik KO5 Taylor!
booradley is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 02:55 PM   #29
albeziel
Multi Viral C13
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 453

I wonder the same thing, but in my mind every boxing fan knows at least that this will be a good fight.
albeziel is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 02:58 PM   #30
RealIzm
Champion
East Side Guru

Location: I don't always sleep with my eyes open, but when I do it's because of Maravilla.
vCash: 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by albeziel
I wonder the same thing, but in my mind every boxing fan knows at least that this will be a good fight.
The undercard looks fantastic not sure which fights are to be televised though
RealIzm is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum