Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 01-31-2008, 08:07 PM   #91
onceagain
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hopkins sheds light on Calzaghe comments

And are you really likening what some bored mother****er is doing on the internet to what a professional boxer did while promoting his fight in front of tons of reporters? Come on...
onceagain is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2008, 08:20 PM   #92
41fever
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

man, its all for the dough...marketing
41fever is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 08:30 PM   #93
acb
De Camaguey... Gavilan
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 196osh
Perhaps actually. Do you see it helping?
It will help him prepare, but he wont win IMO.

Last edited by the-best; 01-22-2007 at 02:10 AM.
acb is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 08:56 PM   #94
HauntingTheHoly
Contender
ESB Senior Member

WHITE ****ING POWER!!!!!!!!!11111ONE

Erm. Just joking.

Bernard has one fatal flaw in his argument, which is the fact that he feels it necessary to *explain* his actions. If he was just doing it to sell tickets, why explain it in an interview like that? At worst this is counter-productive to his stated goal, and at best, unnecessary. It's obvious if you saw the video of Bernard making the comments to Joe that Bernard does view white differently, as he believes it would be worse to lose to a white guy than a black guy, but that certainly doesn't mean he's "racist' either. "Racism" tends to imply *hatred* It's not like someone is racist just b/c they acknowlege differences in their perceptions of people of other colors. For example, No one would say that people who prefer a particular race of person when dating are "racist" for not considering others, would they?
HauntingTheHoly is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 09:01 PM   #95
maracho
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigReg
Some of you guys have a real distorted view of what racism is. I guess it's better to be too sensitive than not sensitive enouigh. It's funny, I remember when the Dog the Bounty Hunter controvesy came about. A thread was made on it, and everyone pretty much condemed the network for putting his show on hiatus and basically said he had the right to say whatever he wanted. Now Hopkins says one comment that was nowhere near as bad as what Dog sad, and people what to hang him for it. Interesting, I wonder why Dog gets a free pass on this site, but B-Hop gets buried?
Thats because the Dog had a spat over family passion in the percieved privacy of his own home. Bernard on the other hand got exposed when his pride was threatened publicly.
maracho is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 10:19 PM   #96
BigReg
Broad Street Bully
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by onceagain
And are you really likening what some bored mother****er is doing on the internet to what a professional boxer did while promoting his fight in front of tons of reporters? Come on...
What I'm comparing is the reaction to the two. Wouldn't you think it would be hypocritical for someone to chastise Hopkins yet display amusement for someone like Jiggaboo Jones? Racism is a terrible issue that has plagued this nation for centuries. However, Hopkin's actions were extremely tame compared to racist incidences and ideologies that seriously undermine the ability of many minority groups to enjoy the basic American privileges of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Does this mean that Hopkins should get a free pass? Of course not. However, this incident happened almost two months ago and people on this board are still making a big deal out of it. You would think that if people were so sensitive to racism on this board that a comment like "I'll never let a white boy beat me" gets them so mad that they would surely be intolerant of the actions of Jiggaboo Jones. This of course is not the case. I also seriously doubt people on this site were this pissed off when James Toney was making racist remarks about Samuel Peter during their fight.
BigReg is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 10:31 PM   #97
BigReg
Broad Street Bully
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by onceagain
I know you're intelligent so I don't understand why you're having so much trouble with this.

Just because Calzaghe happens to be white doesn't mean white people would defend him for saying racist comments towards Hopkins. I don't even like ****ing Calzaghe, he rubs me the wrong way. You've got this funny ****in idea in your head that people will always band together on the sole basis of their skin color, and it just doesn't work that way.

You cited Dog the Bounty Hunter earlier as an example of how white people supposedly are outraged when racism statements are said by a black person, but are oh so happy to let it slide when a white person says them. That's not true, and Dog the Bounty Hunter is a weak ****ing example of that. I've never excused that fella for his behavior and I'm not a fan of him or his show - let's get that out of the way. But what he did is COMPLETELY different than what Hopkins did.

Dog got in trouble because a private conversation between him and his son was recorded without his knowledge and sold to the media by his son. During the conversation he uses the word ****** multiple times, and seem to have this weird idea that when his family uses the word ****** they don't think of it as a negative term and that the general public wouldn't understand it. They're right, we don't. But nothing about that scene was in the public or professional sphere, was it? That doesn't mean his hands are clean, far from it, but it's a different situation than this.

Hopkins on the other hand, was working to hype his fight. That's his job, and he openly resorted to this stupid race baiting shit, in a public arena. He even told the ****ing reporters, you can print that. Now I agree that Hopkins isn't a racist, but it's a low ****ing move and something that doesn't have a place in our society. You might say some simple bullshit about oh, people are already going to do that and cite certain fights but that is simply not true. I rooted for Mayweather, Chambers and yes I'm still rooting for Hopkins. I don't factor in someone's race. I didn't root for Winky Wright against Taylor because he happens do be lighter skinned. I don't like Taylor. So your assumptions about how people react to fights are bullshit, and what Hopkins was doing was appealing to the worst in people. Not something he should've been doing.
Overall, this is a pretty good argument. There are two things with which I have issues. Number 1, you said that I feel that people will always bond together based solely on the color of their skin. Never once did I say this. People will tend to side with people they with whom they identify. Sometimes people identify with others based on nationality, religion, handedness, and yes, race. You can deny this all you want, but there a scientific studies out there that show otherwise. Regardless, you don't need science to be able to figure this out.

The second issue I have with this post is that you're attempting to disprove my theory using yourself as an example. I don't know everyone personally, and I've stated a couple of times already that I can't speak to individuals, only on general terms. As a result, how you as an individual view race has in now way invalidates what I said.
BigReg is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2008, 10:33 PM   #98
seandegraw

i love hopkins but as a fighter he is way 2 ****in boring. people need 2 quit bein ***** wussys about what he said, he is just bein real. i see this shit everyday
seandegraw is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum