Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2008, 07:00 AM   #46
AAA
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 101
vCash: 1000
Default Re: I just watched Arthur v Foster jnr again...

Kurt, you have turned to mindless babble!

Apparently we are not allowed to mention Arthurs name without being gaylord nuthuggers...despite the fact that pretty much everyone is being very grounded and realistic in their comments!

As dunky has already dispelled your comments about him not being of European level (what does winning, defending, and beating the now champ count for?...er...a bit).

Whether you accept it or not Kurt, Arthur has won the important domestic and european belts, which hold enough clout to get him on the ranking tables, and as such, earned him a shot at the interim belt, which he won (but that doesn't count for much either, no?). He is now mandatory challenger for Guzmans belt...it is simple.

I see you would only rate him if he travelled around South America beating Valero, Barrios or Marquez in their own back yard. But the truth is he hasn't had to up to now, because of the sufficent clout his belts up til now have provided for him.
AAA is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2008, 08:24 AM   #47
kerrminator
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,648
vCash: 1000
Default Re: I just watched Arthur v Foster jnr again...

I think he's just pulling your leg guys, surely everybody knows Arthur has earned his shot.

I think its something to be commended, too many fighters from the UK get to the stage where they can step up and put their reputation on the line against a world champion but instead they choose to stay in the comfort zone defending an alphabet trinket against hand picked opponents.

Arthur has more than earned his shot at the title and the very fact he is chasing a big fight is great stuff imo and long may it continue.
kerrminator is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:38 AM   #48
kurt2006
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,976
vCash: 1000
Default Re: I just watched Arthur v Foster jnr again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunky McCafferty
Well, Arthur won the title from a reigning european champ, defended it, & beat a challenger who is now the european champ.
As for your argument about how many top 5 SFW's hes beat, in your world how can a man prove himself unless hes given a chance? Now Alex has been given a chance to prove himself. I dont understand your argument if you are saying Arthur is not world class cos hes not beaten a top 5 SFW, but in the same breath you are saying he doesnt deserve to fight a top 5 SFW

In your world Kurt, what does a man have to do to get a big fight? Cos if winning a european title doesnt entitle you to a shot at the big guns, I want to know what does. Beating the ABC ranked fighters? I look forward to your answering of my question.
Do you have trouble reading ? I have said he does not deserve a world title shot not that he should not fight a top 5 ranked SFW. Yes let him fight someone who is world ranked and earn his title shot. Juarez, Martinez or Miranda spring to mind. If he beats one of them then fair game and let him have a title shot. Beating Foster to get a title shot says it all. By that logic Roman Greenberg should be next to face Wlad.

Beating people who are now XYZ champion means sweet FA and you know it. If we go by that logic Taylor beat Bhops, Pavlik beat Taylor so that means Pavlik is the dogs bollacks.
kurt2006 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:42 AM   #49
kurt2006
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,976
vCash: 1000
Default Re: I just watched Arthur v Foster jnr again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAA
Kurt, you have turned to mindless babble!

Apparently we are not allowed to mention Arthurs name without being gaylord nuthuggers...despite the fact that pretty much everyone is being very grounded and realistic in their comments!

As dunky has already dispelled your comments about him not being of European level (what does winning, defending, and beating the now champ count for?...er...a bit).

Whether you accept it or not Kurt, Arthur has won the important domestic and european belts, which hold enough clout to get him on the ranking tables, and as such, earned him a shot at the interim belt, which he won (but that doesn't count for much either, no?). He is now mandatory challenger for Guzmans belt...it is simple.

I see you would only rate him if he travelled around South America beating Valero, Barrios or Marquez in their own back yard. But the truth is he hasn't had to up to now, because of the sufficent clout his belts up til now have provided for him.
Which top dogs are on Gogoladze's resume ? or Fosters ?

I am sure if the promoter wanted and put up the money Valero and co would be more than happy to knock seven bells out of Arthur in the UK. Fact is after Gomez destroyed him and then Burns made him look ordinary no promoter would be stupid enough to risk a cashcow against a top contender. Might as well fight against the likes of Foster to pad out the record and boast about being unbeaten for 4 years.
kurt2006 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 12:05 PM   #50
AAA
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 101
vCash: 1000
Default Re: I just watched Arthur v Foster jnr again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt2006
Which top dogs are on Gogoladze's resume ? or Fosters ?

I am sure if the promoter wanted and put up the money Valero and co would be more than happy to knock seven bells out of Arthur in the UK. Fact is after Gomez destroyed him and then Burns made him look ordinary no promoter would be stupid enough to risk a cashcow against a top contender. Might as well fight against the likes of Foster to pad out the record and boast about being unbeaten for 4 years.
Not sure what you expect Arthur to do about Gogoladzes resume. He was who he had to beat for the interim title, so did so. For what it is worth, I don't know what Gogoladze did to get in the position to fight Arthur, but appears he was the WBO NABO title holder...whatever that may be worth. Also has a win against Carl Johanneson, which is at least recognisable.

As for the Gomez defeat...i'd hardly say it has 'destroyed' Arthurs career, has it? And dear god, we can't forgive someone winning a fight unimpressively against Burns, who is certainly a good boxer.

As for Valero, not going to happen in the UK for sure, he can't get sanctioned to fight over here due to his medical history. Arthur has stated a good few times he wants to face the big guys in the division, but that it is tough to break into their 'inner circle' if you like, where the big money is made. Guzman is certainly a big step in the right direction for this though.

Rather than us laying out time and time again why he quite rightly is getting a shot at Guzman, i'd be more interested in you explaining with facts why he doesn't. All you have said so far is in your opinion he hasn't impressed you when you've seen him (thats fair enough). What I don't get is how, when explained that he is in fact ranked and proven domestically and at a european level, you refuse to accept it.

Barring one defeat, years ago, he has recovered and beaten everyone put in front of him. You may try to mock their records, but thats not Arthurs problems...they have often been mandatory defences. He's fought domestically with Burns, Docherty, Limond etc, he's fought the best of europe in Gulyakevich (still well ranked) and Sinstin.

He's now making the step to World level against Guzman (i expect), which is a natural progression...it is REALLY that simple.

Arthur is rated 7th by the Ring and interim champion by the WBO (and boxer of the month...woohoo). He is therefore on the fringes of the World level...and fighting Guzman takes him well into that. If he wins, great...he's established at that level, if not, **** it...he had the balls to step up and try.
AAA is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:06 PM   #51
kurt2006
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,976
vCash: 1000
Default Re: I just watched Arthur v Foster jnr again...

Quote:
Not sure what you expect Arthur to do about Gogoladzes resume. He was who he had to beat for the interim title, so did so. For what it is worth, I don't know what Gogoladze did to get in the position to fight Arthur, but appears he was the WBO NABO title holder...whatever that may be worth. Also has a win against Carl Johanneson, which is at least recognisable.
Just like you do not understand who Gogoladza got into the position to fight Arthur, I do not understand what AAA did to get a fight against Guzman.

Quote:
As for the Gomez defeat...i'd hardly say it has 'destroyed' Arthurs career, has it? And dear god, we can't forgive someone winning a fight unimpressively against Burns, who is certainly a good boxer.
Yes but it showed that AAA was not world class and could be beaten easily. I wish Burns had a KO punch as he was catching AAA easily and showing how poor he is.

Quote:
As for Valero, not going to happen in the UK for sure, he can't get sanctioned to fight over here due to his medical history. Arthur has stated a good few times he wants to face the big guys in the division, but that it is tough to break into their 'inner circle' if you like, where the big money is made. Guzman is certainly a big step in the right direction for this though.
I actually mentioned a number of boxers whom AAA could have faced to show he was the top dog to merit a crack at Guzman. Leaving Valero aside do Juarez, Martinez or Miranda have medical problems ? NO !

Quote:
Rather than us laying out time and time again why he quite rightly is getting a shot at Guzman, i'd be more interested in you explaining with facts why he doesn't.
Same reason why El****, Skelton, Danny Williams etc should have not had world title fights. They are not world class unless you think beating a past prime Tyson and beating the likes of Spott warrant a world title shot.

Quote:
Arthur is rated 7th by the Ring and interim champion by the WBO (and boxer of the month...woohoo). He is therefore on the fringes of the World level...and fighting Guzman takes him well into that. If he wins, great...he's established at that level, if not, **** it...he had the balls to step up and try.
Jennings was top ranked by the WBO with his padded record. Says it all.
kurt2006 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:15 PM   #52
AAA
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 101
vCash: 1000
Default Re: I just watched Arthur v Foster jnr again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt2006
Just like you do not understand who Gogoladza got into the position to fight Arthur, I do not understand what AAA did to get a fight against Guzman.

Won the British, Commonwealth and European titles, and the WBO interim title?


Yes but it showed that AAA was not world class and could be beaten easily. I wish Burns had a KO punch as he was catching AAA easily and showing how poor he is.

Arthur has said he was glad of the defeat off Gomez, it really did force him to have a re-think. He is a drastically different fighter since then

I actually mentioned a number of boxers whom AAA could have faced to show he was the top dog to merit a crack at Guzman. Leaving Valero aside do Juarez, Martinez or Miranda have medical problems ? NO !

Or he could fight Guzman for the WBO belt, which he is mandatory for now? He is mandatory because of the belts he has held and people he as beaten, no two ways about that.

Same reason why El****, Skelton, Danny Williams etc should have not had world title fights. They are not world class unless you think beating a past prime Tyson and beating the likes of Spott warrant a world title shot.

I've never quoted another boxer on this topic. Alex Arthur is on the fringe of World Class because that is where he is ranked. You may disagree, but that is how it is. I don't want to keep repeating it, but it is due to the belts he has held, and the results he has had.

Jennings was top ranked by the WBO with his padded record. Says it all.

I agree Arthur is in danger of getting to the 'padding' out stage of his record. I've been banging on for a while that he needs to make the step up, which it appears is finally happening. I think the Foster fight was to keep him active in the downtime before Guzman made his decision to stay or vacate, not a lot more.
Hope that makes sense.
AAA is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:48 PM   #53
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,038
vCash: 1000
Default Re: I just watched Arthur v Foster jnr again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt2006
Do you have trouble reading ? I have said he does not deserve a world title shot not that he should not fight a top 5 ranked SFW. Yes let him fight someone who is world ranked and earn his title shot. Juarez, Martinez or Miranda spring to mind. If he beats one of them then fair game and let him have a title shot. Beating Foster to get a title shot says it all. By that logic Roman Greenberg should be next to face Wlad.

Beating people who are now XYZ champion means sweet FA and you know it. If we go by that logic Taylor beat Bhops, Pavlik beat Taylor so that means Pavlik is the dogs bollacks.
I admire your standpoint, that the best should all fight the best before fighting the champion. However, its changed days. Boxing isnt like the days when it was so hard to get a title shot that a great like Jake Lamotta had to throw a fight just to get his shot at the champion.

Welcome to the real world my friend! This is it. The world where Ricky Hatton defended a WBU belt & got a shot at Kostya Tszyu. The world where Carl froch beat a shot to shit Robin Reid & hs gotten himself a WBC world title eliminator. The world where Alex Arthur beat Gogoladze to become interim champ & get a fight with Guzman.

We can bitch all day long about who deserves title shots & who doesnt, but boxing today is what it is. It aint the old days anymore fella. Get used to it.
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013