Old 12-28-2011, 07:12 PM   #31
pit
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: SEE how well Mayweather can take a punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander Tasco View Post
he's got an average chin nothing more. taking a big punch here and there isnt proof of a good chin. In fact I dont think he takes punches all that well. Mosley landed basically two flush right hands, and each one buckled Floyd. Judah had him running for cover after a straight left. Ditto for Ortiz via right hook. Corley had him on speghetti legs. Contrast this to Miguel Cotto who has a bit ofa shakey chin, and he took Mosley's best punches all night.

Floyd's chin is good enough to keep him on his feet and do what he does best that's all . It's nothing special.
yeah right
pit is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2011, 07:16 PM   #32
pit
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernie4366 View Post
He didn't take it well, he was VERY badly hurt and a younger, more active fighter might have taken him out. He REACTED to it well and skillfully, but that's not the same as taking it well.

Mayweather has a crackable chin and it's nearly cost him his 0 a couple times. If he gets caught like that against a better fighter than Corley or an ancient Mosley it's bad news. If Chico had managed to get to him with one of those it would have been game over.
His chin has never even been close to having him lose his 0 .. again the man gets no respect..

But Guess the dimi God Pac thor has the punch too cave floyd's chin.. But the God fears needles
pit is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2011, 07:19 PM   #33
AnthonyW
ESB Official Gif Poster
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 920

av·er·age/ˈav(ə)rij/
Noun:
The result obtained by adding several quantities together and then dividing this total by the number of quantities; the mean.
Adjective:
Constituting the result obtained by adding together several quantities and then dividing this total by the number of quantities.
Verb:
Amount to or achieve as an average rate or amount over a period of time: "annual inflation averaged 2.4 percent".
Synonyms:
noun. mean - medium - mediocrity
adjective. mean - ordinary - medium - middling - mediocre - middle

Now, when people say Mayweather's chin is average, particularly when they say, average at best...IMO they are talking bollocks, they do not understand the definition, and is quite clearly an overused word.

Like I said, people focus on the shots that Mayweather has been hurt by, but then disregard shots that he has taken that maybe should have hurt him more if his chin was in fact "average". Examples in both the Judah and Mosley bouts are there to be seen. He wasn't hurt in the Judah bout, he did take some fast, clean punches in that bout. In the Mosley bout, he was hurt in the 2nd round, recovered well, and was caught with a big flush overhand right in a latter round, I forget which round (but Mosley was gassed by then, right?)...showing a great example of how ANY boxer can be hurt if the punch lands clean enough. The overhand right that landed in the latter round from Mosley was as clean as you like, arguably thrown with the same power as the shot that badly rocked Mayweather in the second.

An average chin, I would rate Khan's chin as average, maybe a touch above average (yes, an overused word). Khan when hit clean on the chin can be stunned, rocked, hurt, and knocked out...by not even KO artists. Mayweather's chin is better than Khan's. He has been in with better boxers, better brawlers, taken harder and cleaner shots and stayed on his feet. There is the difference.

Khan's chin = Average +
Mayweather's chin = Clearly above average (not iron or great though).
AnthonyW is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2011, 07:21 PM   #34
bernie4366
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1090

Quote:
Originally Posted by pit View Post
His chin has never even been close to having him lose his 0 .. again the man gets no respect..

But Guess the dimi God Pac thor has the punch too cave floyd's chin.. But the God fears needles
He has the punch to hurt him and the energy to follow it up, so yes, Pac is a VERY dangerous fight for Floyd.

Respect has nothing to do with it. I gave him great respect for dealing with the situation about as well and expertly as it can possibly be dealt with. That doesn't change the fact that he was hurt pretty badly and a younger and more active fighter who actually went for the kill with gusto might have been able to finish him then and there.
bernie4366 is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2011, 07:22 PM   #35
Englund
Warrior
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 270

Very good chin. Never seen him in real danger of going down. (bar the off-balance situation in the Judah fight)

Above average as he's really only been "buckled" against Mosley and Corley. To add to that, his superb conditioning allows him to recover extremely quickly. I wouldn't say a great chin, but definitely above average.
Englund is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2011, 07:22 PM   #36
Post Box
I'm back too, bitches
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

The best chin in boxing is the one that does not get hit.
Post Box is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2011, 07:27 PM   #37
Englund
Warrior
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 270

Quote:
He has the punch to hurt him and the energy to follow it up, so yes, Pac is a VERY dangerous fight for Floyd.

Respect has nothing to do with it. I gave him great respect for dealing with the situation about as well and expertly as it can possibly be dealt with. That doesn't change the fact that he was hurt pretty badly and a younger and more active fighter who actually went for the kill with gusto might have been able to finish him then and there.
I think you're vastly overrating how badly he was hurt. He buckled and held, that was it. It only took him about 5-10 seconds to recover. He wasn't hurt badly by any means. (Plus, Shane has always been a pretty good finisher. Again, no credit to Floyd and his ability to survive/avoid punches)
Englund is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2011, 07:28 PM   #38
Dio
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 429

42 - 0
Dio is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2011, 07:49 PM   #39
pit
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:

This is were you are disrespecting and making light of a skill not many fighters poses.. Each time pac was seriously hurt he was KOed. The fact that floyd can continue to function and deal with the situation and thin turn the situation it into his favor is nothing short of amazing .. Instead of just flailing away with punches like some injured animal, he is able to think his way out of the issue and capitalize on it...

Any fighter that has boxed has been hurt badly, so has floyd so what ,, but his skill and his chin is above average which account for his ability to get out of situations .. I also believe even if pac landed a shot on floyd's chin, he going to need more then speed and power to capitalize on the situation ..Your so called Gusto, would only get pac beat up like zab , shane ,hatton,corley, chevez all had the so called gusto .. but the only thing they got was a boxing lesson.

the more fighter take the approach that floyd's chin is average, he not that strong , he does not hit that hard, the more he will rack up wins . More fighters that follow your line of reasoning will come up short.

Last edited by pit; 12-28-2011 at 08:40 PM.
pit is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2011, 08:05 PM   #40
mbro12

more bs about "chins", seems the only thing people talk about on ESB is a ****ing chin.
mbro12 is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2011, 08:07 PM   #41
Leon
The Artful Dodger
East Side VIP

he has a titanium body

many guys have chins, but get real bothered by bodyshots
Leon is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2011, 08:10 PM   #42
Reppin501
The People's Champ
East Side Guru

Quote:

Manny has demonstrated a recent history of not being able to finish guys, not sure where this myth of him being this mighty finisher comes from. He could stun Floyd, no doubt, but I watched JMM have Manny doing the Chicken dance so I'm not sure why you would assume Manny could hurt Floyd and finish him, without considering the fact Floyd can obviously hurt Manny.
Reppin501 is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2011, 08:12 PM   #43
thawk888
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by pit View Post
the more fighter take the approach that floyd's chin is average, he not that strong , he does not hit that hard, the more he will rack up wins . More fighters that follow your line of reasoning will come up short.
That is the crux of his entire career from 140 up. Everyone always thinks "if I just land one punch" or, "I'm a bigger man, he'll fold under the pressure" or, "I can walk through his shots, no problem". That's the thinking that gets fighters caught up, and mentally ****ed when it doesn't go down that way.
thawk888 is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2011, 08:33 PM   #44
Don Q
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

All opinions here are void. The only legit opinion on this subject is the opinion of a ESB Chin Checker
Don Q is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2011, 08:36 PM   #45
pit
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thawk888 View Post
That is the crux of his entire career from 140 up. Everyone always thinks "if I just land one punch" or, "I'm a bigger man, he'll fold under the pressure" or, "I can walk through his shots, no problem". That's the thinking that gets fighters caught up, and mentally ****ed when it doesn't go down that way.

exactly !!! Stop selling the man short and come prepared and have more then one game plan.

underestimation is dangerous and floyd has lived lavishly from it.
pit is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum