Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 12-29-2011, 11:52 PM   #1
Rob887
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 533
Default Where does the current SMW scene rank in the relatively brief history of the division

Where does the current SMW scene rank in the relatively brief history of the division?
Rob887 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2011, 11:57 PM   #2
Earl-hickey
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 765
Default Re: Where does the current SMW scene rank in the relatively brief history of the divi

you really expanded on the title in the first post lol.

I think its an ok division, i mean as you say the history of the division is young, but i guess its pretty strong with the current cotingent
Earl-hickey is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2011, 12:09 AM   #3
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Where does the current SMW scene rank in the relatively brief history of the divi

I like Ward, but that's about it.

In the days of Rocchigiani, Holmes, Leonard, Hearns, Park and Baek it was OK.

Then in the second half of '91 Nunn, Eubank, Watson and Benn all moved up, followed by Toney a year later, with others like Barkley, Holmes, Littles, Jones and Liles in there, and McClellan and Collins on their way. That was phenomenal for a few years.

Then Jones moved up to light-heavy and the WBC 168 belt changed hands 10 times in five years. Eubank/Calzaghe and Liles-Littles II were terrific fights, but the division seemed to die then for 10 years until the Calzaghe/Lacy fight.

Kessler the one-dimensional wouldn't have beaten any of the aforementioned, nor the unproven Bute, and neither the slug-slow Froch. Dirrell has some speed and talent it seems but he's unproven.

I like Ward though, he can fight equally well with his back skimming the ropes or his chest compressing his opponents chest. He can lead or counter, be fast and efficient, smother skilfully, evade awkwardly. He looks good.
atberry is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2011, 05:32 AM   #4
ISPEAKUMTROOTH
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by atberry View Post
I like Ward, but that's about it.

In the days of Rocchigiani, Holmes, Leonard, Hearns, Park and Baek it was OK.

Then in the second half of '91 Nunn, Eubank, Watson and Benn all moved up, followed by Toney a year later, with others like Barkley, Holmes, Littles, Jones and Liles in there, and McClellan and Collins on their way. That was phenomenal for a few years.

Then Jones moved up to light-heavy and the WBC 168 belt changed hands 10 times in five years. Eubank/Calzaghe and Liles-Littles II were terrific fights, but the division seemed to die then for 10 years until the Calzaghe/Lacy fight.

Kessler the one-dimensional wouldn't have beaten any of the aforementioned, nor the unproven Bute, and neither the slug-slow Froch. Dirrell has some speed and talent it seems but he's unproven.

I like Ward though, he can fight equally well with his back skimming the ropes or his chest compressing his opponents chest. He can lead or counter, be fast and efficient, smother skilfully, evade awkwardly. He looks good.

Covered it pretty damned well,but could have been better by saying the current SMW scene is shit.Ward aside,there is a serious lack of guys with skills and heart around at the moment.
ISPEAKUMTROOTH is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2011, 08:17 AM   #5
Grant1
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2019

Quote:
With the absence of Eubank and Benn mixing it with Jones and Toney I don't think it was phenomenal.

It was good, dont get me wrong, but it didnt give us all the fights we wanted.
Grant1 is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2011, 08:26 AM   #6
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant1 View Post
With the absence of Eubank and Benn mixing it with Jones and Toney I don't think it was phenomenal.

It was good, dont get me wrong, but it didnt give us all the fights we wanted.
And did Hearns, Hagler, Duran or Leonard fight McCallum or Graham?

Did Calzaghe fight Collins, Ottke, Froch and Bute?
atberry is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2011, 08:36 AM   #7
Grant1
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2019

Quote:
And did Hearns, Hagler, Duran or Leonard fight McCallum or Graham?

Did Calzaghe fight Collins, Ottke, Froch and Bute?
THE biggest fights in both those scenarios happened.

RJJ-Eubank or Benn-Toney or some of the cross atlantic fights involving these would have made the era something above what it is.

That's undeniable.
Grant1 is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2011, 12:48 PM   #8
topbuzz

vCash: 500

sure i can remember some footage of steve collins confronting roy jones on his front lawn,does anyone else remember or have footage?
topbuzz is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2011, 01:01 PM   #9
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant1 View Post
THE biggest fights in both those scenarios happened.

RJJ-Eubank or Benn-Toney or some of the cross atlantic fights involving these would have made the era something above what it is.

That's undeniable.
The biggest fight here was Toney-Jones IMO.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2011, 01:54 PM   #10
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

There have been 3 great smw era's imo.

One was from 93-96 when we had nunn, toney, jones, benn, eubank and liles. As talent laden as that division was, the best fights escaped us.

We've had two era's where the talent wasn't as good but that's compounded by the willingness of the best to take each other on.

2004-2007 saw joe, lacy and mikel rule the division before unification between every belt ended up occuring.

Today the top 4 are ward, mikel, carl and bute and aside from bute everyone else has fought each other.

At the moment I class today's era as the 3rd greatest. All we need is bute to fight a top class opponent and it overtakes joe's era.
lufcrazy is online now  Top
Old 12-30-2011, 05:40 PM   #11
Rob887
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 533

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
The biggest fight here was Toney-Jones IMO.
I agree.
Rob887 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum