Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-31-2008, 08:19 PM   #1
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default A create your own boxing rules thread.

It is hard to say exactly when boxing had it right. Pick your own rules!

Length of the fight: 10 rounds, 12 rounds, 15 rounds, 20 rounds, 25 rounds, or finish fights?

Gloves or no gloves? Then 6, 8, 12, or 16 oz gloves?

London Rules or Queensberry Rules?

Ring size: 16 x 16, 20 x 20, 22 x22, or 25 x 25?

Using the ref as a sole judge, or using 2 judges and a ref, or using 3 judges at ringside. Or something new like using five judges to avoid bad decisions.

Referee style. One who breaks up clinches quickly, or one who prefers to let them fight. One who docks points for holding or fouls, or one who warns fighters a few times before taking action?

Scoring system: 10 point must system, California 5-point rules, or majority judging needed to win rounds, or picking a winner with no rounds scored based on who you felt won the fight? Open scoring or closed scoring?

Are you for or against the use of instant replay to see if a heat butt / elbow / foul caused the cut? Are you for or against the use of instant replay to verify if there was or there was not a knock down in-between rounds to get the scoring right?

Weigh in the day of the fight, or weigh in 48 hours before the fight?

Rules rule that say only a doctor can stop the fight, and a fighter can not be saved by bell in any round, or rules that have standing 8 counts, and say a fighter can be saved by the bell in the final round. Rules that say only a doctor can stop the fight, or rules that allow the doctor or the ref to stop the fight.

And the beat goes on. Post your ideal rules.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2008, 08:38 PM   #2
radianttwilight
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: A create your own boxing rules thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza
It is hard to say exactly when boxing had it right. Pick your own rules!

Length of the fight: 10 rounds, 12 rounds, 15 rounds, 20 rounds, 25 rounds, or finish fights?

Gloves or no gloves? Then 6, 8, 12, or 16 oz gloves?

London Rules or Queensberry Rules?

Ring size: 16 x 16, 20 x 20, 22 x22, or 25 x 25?

Using the ref as a sole judge, or using 2 judges and a ref, or using 3 judges at ringside. Or something new like using five judges to avoid bad decisions.

Referee style. One who breaks up clinches quickly, or one who prefers to let them fight. One who docks points for holding or fouls, or one who warns fighters a few times before taking action?

Scoring system: 10 point must system, California 5-point rules, or majority judging needed to win rounds, or picking a winner with no rounds scored based on who you felt won the fight? Open scoring or closed scoring?

Are you for or against the use of instant replay to see if a heat butt / elbow / foul caused the cut? Are you for or against the use of instant replay to verify if there was or there was not a knock down in-between rounds to get the scoring right?

Weigh in the day of the fight, or weigh in 48 hours before the fight?

Rules rule that say only a doctor can stop the fight, and a fighter can not be saved by bell in any round, or rules that have standing 8 counts, and say a fighter can be saved by the bell in the final round. Rules that say only a doctor can stop the fight, or rules that allow the doctor or the ref to stop the fight.

And the beat goes on. Post your ideal rules.
Fifteen three minute rounds, 8oz gloves.

Ring size 20x20.

Two judges + referee. Odd number to help prevent draws, and the referee will have a better insight as to who is actually landing punches.

Referee breaks up clinches within a second or two of when they are initiated. Excessive holding as a strategy (think Tucker/Tyson) gets one warning per round, and then point deduction from then on.

Fouls in general are weighed by the referee as to whether or not there should be a warning, but only one warning per round. Referees that warn for holding 5+ times a round piss me off . Any time you receive a warning from the referee, his next move is to penalize you (maximum of one warning per round, per foul type).

Scoring using half-point system (close rounds can be scored 10-9.5 and wider rounds scored 10-9), with knockdown rounds scored as they are today (10-8, 10-7, and so on). I wouldn't mind a change from the ten point must system (as in, two fighters that half-ass it for a round on equal footing might be a 7-7 round, while a high-action round would be a 10-10 or 10-9), actually. Scores are made public post-fight and referees who consistently score "badly" (yes, this can be judged) are either put on probation or banned. There's enough corruption in boxing.

I support the use of instant replays to identify instances of a cut/injury by foul, but they should be done within a strict, short time limit of the actual incident, without a pause of the fight (IE - a neutral, third party watches the replay as the fight continues on and makes a decision ASAP). STRONGLY support the use of instant replay between rounds to determine presence of knockdowns.

Weigh-in on fight day before the fighters can enter the ring. Fighter A walks to the ring, weighs in right there, and then climbs in.

Doctor, referee, and corner can stop the fight. Fighter cannot be saved by the bell in any round (IE - he has to beat the ten-count to continue fighting, regardless if the round is over or not).

No standing eight counts.
radianttwilight is offline  Top
Old 02-01-2008, 07:43 AM   #3
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

My rules

12 round title fights. 15 rounds for title unifications.

12 oz minimum gloves for heavies, 10 oz minimum for middles and welters. 8oz minimum gloves for lightweight and below. Fighters can wear heavier gloves if they choose, and chose their own glove brand.

20 x 20 ring size as a standard, though I do not mind variations as much here.

Two judges and one ref who also scored the fight. However, the promoter does not pick the judges as he currently does. This is a huge conflict of interest and a reason why we get bad decisions! In addition, a commission to review all judges scores cards.

A ref who breaks up clinches when both fighters appear to be resting after 4-5 seconds, and a ref who quickly warns of fouls, then takes points away for dirty tactics after the first or second warning depending on how bad the foul was.

10 point must scoring system the way it is now, with more 10-10 rounds that are too close to call, and more 10-8 rounds where one fighter really dominates and nearly has the other person down. No open scoring.

I support the use of instant replays to identify instances of a cut/injury by foul, but they should be done within a strict, short time limit of the actual incident, without a pause of the fight (IE - a neutral, third party watches the replay as the fight continues and makes a decision ASAP). STRONGLY support the use of instant replay between rounds to determine presence of knockdowns.

Weigh in the day before the fight. Fighters should fight close to the weight they are sanctioned for. It is as simple as that.

Although I did not mention this before, I am for a contraction of weight divisions too. I would like to see us go from 17 divisions to 11 divison format like the Olympics has. This will increase the value of the champions because there will be less of them. See link for the weight classes:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Doctor, referee, and corner can stop the fight. Fighter cannot be saved by the bell in any round (IE - he has to beat the ten-count to continue fighting, regardless if the round is over or not). No standing eight counts.

Multiple belt champions cannot be striped by an organization as long as they make both mandatory title defenses every 18 months barring a confirmed illness or injury. Single belt holders have normal mandatory rules, and must make one mandatory title defense every 12 months barring a confirmed illness or injury.

A 3% portion of all fighters’ purses goes for a health and wellness fund for injured fighters that require medical treatment. Call this boxing's version of medical insurance. This is not a lot, but its something.

Those are my rules. I might tinker with this post a bit.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 02-01-2008, 12:14 PM   #4
Tyson 2005
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

My Rules. Some of these might sound crazy but whatever I think it would be awesome.

17x17 Ring (smaller, no place to run)

Title Fights 18 Rounds (yes, 18 )
Non title fights 15

Title Unifications 20 rounds (yes, 20, we came to see a fight for all the title, we want a damn fight lol)

No 3 knockdown rule

12oz gloves for heavieweights 10oz for middle and welter and 8oz for light and below (like Mendoza said)

Fights aired on regular TV

5 ringside judges, that MUST be former boxers
Tyson 2005 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum