Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-01-2008, 09:45 PM   #46
slicksouthpaw16
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Let's get a consensus list of all of fighters...

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
And I said what I said, it means not a damn thing.

I just told you what happened in the second fight. You clearly don't read my posts before responding. It's very annoying. I think you do it on purpose so as not to have to respond to anything difficult.
lol, you never said anything that was ''difficult''. You said that Duran was blown up in the third fight, not the second fight.

Quote:
When did I say that? You said a tactical battle. Bullying up against the ropes, pressuring, and using roughing "tactics" are indeed tactics. Therefore it's a "tactical battle".

No, i meant boxing from a distance. You said that Duran would out box Mayweather and i just laughed really.

Quote:
Duran would do the same to Floyd on the inside, difference being, he would actually hurt Floyd.
Wow, i have never seen Floyd hurt (except Corley). Floyd would not even fight on the inside with Duran, he would try to keep his distance and box so Duran even getting on the inside would be a journey.

Quote:
Why would the check-hook come into play? This makes you sound like a fanboy. He did it once in his career against Hatton, and you think it comes into play for what reason?
First, i am not even a huge fan of Mayweather. I think he is a good fighter and i'll watch all of his fights but i am no fan boy. Floyd is a good counter puncher period. Weather if its the check left hook, the counter right hand, or the counter right uppercut.

Quote:
Are you trying to upset me? Or was that all serious? Duran is not hard to predict? He's one of the most versatile fighters of all time. Duran is not a pressure fighter? In that case, Floyd is not a boxer.
lol, lighten up. Do you even know what a sense of humor is?
slicksouthpaw16 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2008, 09:57 PM   #47
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicksouthpaw16
lol, you never said anything that was ''difficult''. You said that Duran was blown up in the third fight, not the second fight.
I said he was shot in the third fight, it was the second fight I was referring to when talking about how bloated he was. Try to keep up.

Quote:

No, i meant boxing from a distance. You said that Duran would out box Mayweather and i just laughed really.
Point me to where I said this. I will not take ANYTHING you have to say seriously any longer unless you find the post where I said this and show it to me. I will wait. Otherwise it just shows that you haven't learned anything from coming over here, and are still resorting to bullshitting.

Quote:
Wow, i have never seen Floyd hurt (except Corley). Floyd would not even fight on the inside with Duran, he would try to keep his distance and box so Duran even getting on the inside would be a journey.
When pressured relentlessly, as I've stressed repeatedly, Floyd fights in a shell, against the ropes. Doing that against Duran would be his doom. If he didn't do that, he would be on his bicycle all night, getting the ring cut off eventually and being forced to fight up close.

Quote:

lol, lighten up. Do you even know what a sense of humor is?
You realize you didn't say much this entire post?
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 02-01-2008, 10:24 PM   #48
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicksouthpaw16
Mayweather is faster than Leonard is, he is also more accurate and the better tecnically sound pure boxer.
If he is faster it's only by a tad, and definitely not when it comes to throwing combinations. He is more accurate and technically sound, but he is also smaller, not as powerful and unable to throw with the variety that Leonard does in his offensive arsenal. He is also not as active (doesn't throw as much leather).

Quote:
Like i have said before, Duran won the first fight with Leonard because he dragged him into a brawl and made him fight his fight. Never did you see Duran out box Leonard. You witnessed what happened in the second and third fight.
I think the reason why Duran won the first fight is arguable. It's not clear to me that he won that just because he dragged Leonard into a brawl. In the second fight Duran was not as good as the Duran of Montreal, anyone could see that just by the manner in which he fought, you don't even need to know the story behind it which explains why in fact he was not as good as he was before. I'm not sure even that that Leonard beats the Duran of the first fight. But you know what, even if he does, I don't think it means much to a consideration of Duran-Mayweather because not only is Ray a superior fighter to Mayweather, Duran was also fighting him at Ray's own natural weight. Duran-Mayweather would be conducted at 135, where Duran's power and strength are much more amplified in juxtaposition to his opponents.

As for the third Duran-Leonard fight, well that means about as much as Roy vs. Tito.

Quote:
Also, do you really think that Duran beats Mayweather in a tactical battle? Please.
Sure, given that those tactics will be get in close, use strength to push Mayweather into corners, land body shots, and be wary of the single shots Mayweather will try to counter with off the ropes with. I think these tactics would work fine. It's not as if Duran is going to go in there with the tactics to stand ring centre and have a single punch pot shotting contest with Mayweather from arms length.

Quote:
Also Castillio brought smart pressure on Mayweather. He would go to the body and take advantages when Floyd would go on the ropes. (Floyds left hand was actually broke in that fight)
So what was his excuse for losing 4 or 5 rounds in the rematch and running for his life whilst stinking up the joint?
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Old 02-01-2008, 10:41 PM   #49
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru

Okay my friends, so the universal agreement seems to be Pryor, Hearns, Leonard, Chavez and several others, they will be listed.

The battle continue's, I want to get a full list, even if I don't personally agree with some of the picks(no harm intended), this is a political position against the HORRIBLE Joy Boy fanbase population that think he's unbeatable under 140 and mostly at 147.

I hope to get over 25 names that we all can agree on, by that, I mean 10 or more established knowledgable forum personalities.
Amsterdam is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2008, 01:40 AM   #50
brownpimp88
Belt holder
ESB Addict

[quote=Sweet Pea]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownpimp88
Yeah, he engaged with Trinidad when he was shot, at a higher weight, and facing a harder hitter, yet survived the distance, but he'd get KO's by Pryor in his prime. You're missing on all fronts today.

You don't win fights by running away, you win them by outboxing your opponent. I think Whitaker would fight a fight similar to how he fought Nelson or Ramirez in the first fight. Off the backfoot.
He would fight similar to how he fought against nelson and ramirez, except he would be fighting a guy that has faster hands than both, naturally bigger than both and someone that can outbox both.

How am i missing on all fronts, what are you saying that its impossible to knock whitaker out? If he engages with aaron pryor the whole fight, yes he will get ko'd.
brownpimp88 is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2008, 01:53 AM   #51
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

[quote=brownpimp88]
Quote:

How am i missing on all fronts, what are you saying that its impossible to knock whitaker out? If he engages with aaron pryor the whole fight, yes he will get ko'd.
There would be no chance Whitaker would engage with Pryor all fight so your point is moot.

However i am not agreeing for a second that Whitaker would be impossible to knock out under normal fighting circumstances. Very very unlikely, but not impossible i'd think.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2008, 10:34 AM   #52
SugarRay
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
My list between 130 and 147.

Red- I would favor them
Blue- 50/50 fight

Azumah Nelson- 130
Hector Camacho- 130-135
Julio Cesar Chavez-
130-135-140
Henry Armstrong- 130-147
Alexis Arguello- 130-135
Pernell Whitaker- 135-147
Roberto Duran- 135-147
Carlos Ortiz- 135-140
Beau Jack- 135
Duilio Loi- 140
Wilfred Benitez- 140-147
Aaron Pryor- 140
Oscar De La Hoya- 140-147
Ray Robinson- 147
Ray Leonard- 147
Emile Griffith- 147
Jose Napoles- 140-147
Kid Gavilan- 147
Tommy Hearns- 147
Donald Curry- 147
Felix Trinidad- 147
Mickey Walker- 147
Charley Burley- 147
Miguel Cotto- 147
Paul Williams-147
wow...it looks 3 D
SugarRay is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2008, 10:44 AM   #53
SugarRay
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcity
Benny Leonard and Joe Gains at 135 could also beat him.
I don't see anyone "smoking" Mayweather. I think a win over Mayweather would be hard earned.
I think Hearns annihilate him and possibily Robinson due to his combinations and power.
SugarRay is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum