Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default One Fighting Championship thread

Quote:
Renato ‘Babalu’ Sobral Signs with One FC

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] has signed a new deal with One FC and will begin competing in the promotion in 2012.
Sources close to the fighter confirmed the news to [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] on Thursday.
Sobral is expected to make his promotion debut in March at the inaugural One FC/Dream co-promoted show in Singapore.
A former title contender in both the UFC and Strikeforce, Sobral has fought some of the toughest competition all over the world.
The Brazilian holds wins over Chael Sonnen, Mauricio ‘Shogun’ Rua and Robbie Lawler, and has consistently fought top fighters in whatever promotion he’s been a part of over the years.
Sobral will be looking to bounce back from a loss when he returns to action in March. His last fight was a knockout defeat to current UFC light heavyweight contender Dan Henderson in Dec 2010, but since that time Sobral has taken a break from active competition.
Now ready to return to the ring, Sobral has signed on with the upstart promotion that currently has plans to run several shows in and around Asia in 2012, and has signed partnerships with a great number of organizations including Dream.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] will have more information on Sobral’s first opponent when it becomes available.
A big signing for an org with only one event in the books. Do you think One FC can make a go of being a viable, and entertaining, alternative to the UFC MMA monopoly? A DREAM Co-Pro event is also on the cards.

Last edited by Stoo; 03-23-2012 at 11:43 PM.
Stoo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2012, 02:08 AM   #2
Lynchburg
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1449
Default Re: Renato ‘Babalu’ Sobral Signs with One FC

I'd like to think they can Stoo but I seriously doubt it.

As soon as they get any decent fighters they will be snaffled up by the UFC before they can make an impact... sad but true.

Sobral should have stayed with SF really. Any idea why he has left/not re-signed?

Lynchburg
Lynchburg is offline  Top
Old 01-06-2012, 02:14 AM   #3
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Well I think they can build a name for themselves with home grown Asian fighters and the scraps left by the UFC, much like BAMMA are attempting to do in Europe. Dont think it will rival the UFC brand, at least in the West. But the more MMA the better imo

I dont think Babalu is in Zuffa's good books, and vice versa. Shame, he would have been a good test for the likes of Gus and could test the ground game of any up and commers

And Baroni v Babalu, whislt not having much relevance, will be fun too watch until Phil does a ''Baroni''

Last edited by Stoo; 01-06-2012 at 02:26 AM.
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 01-06-2012, 04:22 AM   #4
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
This one's for Anarchy99

A big signing for an org with only one event in the books. Do you think One FC can make a go of being a viable, and entertaining, alternative to the UFC MMA monopoly? A DREAM Co-Pro event is also on the cards.
Highly unlikely. This is a basic game of economics. Whom ever can offer the most money is where the fighters will go. If there was another org that could offer better money than the UFC bet your life the UFC would loose its stable of fighters over night. That said id like to see One FC survive as they use the old PRIDE ruleset.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 01-06-2012, 04:56 AM   #5
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Yeah, obviously the OFC cant compete financially, but hopefully it will be a viable alternative for fighters outside Zuffa's good books as well as nurturing some of the talent in Asia. Id like Asian MMA too keep it's own identity, i.e. PRIDE rule set, less wrestling based skill set and so on

I dont really want to turn this into a USA MMA V Asian MMA debate. Im just wondering if One FC can develop an Asian fan base and flourish in it's own right. We already have a McD's and Starbucks in every town and City, it would be a shame if MMA went the same route and adopt the Zuffa business model with UFC expansion into Asia.

A wise man once said ''I believe human beings and fish can co-exist peacefully''. I believe the same is possible with MMA
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 01-06-2012, 05:06 AM   #6
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynchburg View Post
I'd like to think they can Stoo but I seriously doubt it.

As soon as they get any decent fighters they will be snaffled up by the UFC before they can make an impact... sad but true.

Sobral should have stayed with SF really. Any idea why he has left/not re-signed?

Lynchburg
Perhaps Babalu will become their new pin-up boy. There's not much chance he'll get snaffled back by the UFC.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:10 AM   #7
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spider View Post
Perhaps Babalu will become their new pin-up boy. There's not much chance he'll get snaffled back by the UFC.
Babalu only has a finite shelf life, as his best days are behind him. Pretty unlikely you can build a brand on the back of him like the UFC did with Chuck for example. They will probably need a home grown star of their own to do that

Having said that, the man puts on exciting fights 9 times out of 10 and is a seasoned pro who may attract other's into the idea that this is a worthwhile org to be a part of.
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 01-06-2012, 05:14 AM   #8
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
Babalu only has a finite shelf life, as his best days are behind him. Pretty unlikely you can build a brand on the back of him like the UFC did with Chuck for example. They will probably need a home grown star of their own to do that

Having said that, the man puts on exciting fights 9 times out of 10 and is a seasoned pro who may attract other's into the idea that this is a worthwhile org to be a part of.
With the difficulty they'll have assembling a top stable of fighters they'll need to be doubly careful Babula doesn't kill anybody.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:17 AM   #9
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

No such thing as bad publicity I guess
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 01-06-2012, 07:10 AM   #10
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Zuffa must have turfed him out because he is good SF material.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 01-06-2012, 08:30 AM   #11
greathamza
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 117

He is an exciting fighter and almost always fun to watch just hope this One fc thing sticks
greathamza is offline  Top
Old 01-06-2012, 08:30 AM   #12
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spider View Post
Not likely at all. Babalu has been around a LONG time. He's on borrowed time already.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:03 AM   #13
leejunfan777
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

i personally think babalu is washed up big time
his last fight showed that
leejunfan777 is offline  Top
Old 01-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #14
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by leejunfan777 View Post
Old 01-06-2012, 10:27 AM   #15
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by leejunfan777 View Post
True but not the point tbh. First time I had heard of the WEC and Uriah Faber was when he beat a washed up Jens Pulver. And the 1st time I noticed Strikeforce was when Frank Shamrock beat a washed up Baroni

I think Babalu is more competitive than either, he's only lost to Mousasi & Hendo in recent years
Stoo is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum