Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-31-2008, 03:46 AM   #1
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118
Default Holyfield's Chin - At His Best...

Just how good was it?

Without hepatitis, years past his best vs. Toney, or the other myriad problems the guys had... Just how tough was he?

The most durable Cruiserweight ever? Up there, but not quite?
Russell is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2008, 09:21 PM   #2
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118
Default Re: Holyfield's Chin - At His Best...

Murm?
Russell is offline  Top
Old 02-01-2008, 09:38 PM   #3
radianttwilight
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

I doubt he was the most durable CW ever, but he's probably the most durable ATG cruiserweight ever, if you get my point.
radianttwilight is offline  Top
Old 02-01-2008, 09:55 PM   #4
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Holyfield has an ATG chin at Heavyweight IMO. The shots that he took with next to no drama at all vs Tyson was just brilliant viewing. I have to admit, i was spellbound. If memory serves me correct he took a titanic right uppercut vs Lewis too.

Last edited by bigtime9; 01-23-2007 at 10:48 PM.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2008, 06:37 AM   #5
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
Holyfield has an ATG chin at Heavyweight IMO. The shots that he took with next to no drama at all vs Tyson was just brilliant viewing. I have to admit, i was spellbound. If memory serves me correct he took a shitload of titanic right uppercuts vs Lewis too.
Corrected.

Holyfield's chin really is incredible. His stoppage loss against Bowe seemed to be more from disease/steroids/weight training rather than being stunned or anything. He took way more punishement in their first fight but went the distance. So realistically, he has not been stopped before he was 42 years old. Absolutely amazing, considering he fought Tyson twice, Lewis twice, Bowe three times as well as some other big punches like Mercer, Moorer and Cooper.
If he had less than an iron chin, he probably would not have seen the end of Bowe I, Lewis I and Tyson I.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2008, 07:24 AM   #6
Pat_Lowe
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
Holyfield has an ATG chin at Heavyweight IMO. The shots that he took with next to no drama at all vs Tyson was just brilliant viewing. I have to admit, i was spellbound. If memory serves me correct he took a titanic right uppercut vs Lewis too.
Do you not recall Tyson's first punch of their series? That got his attention for sure.
Pat_Lowe is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2008, 07:59 AM   #7
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat_Lowe
Do you not recall Tyson's first punch of their series? That got his attention for sure.
Tyson's punch is going to get anyone's attention but do you agree Holyfield took them as well or better than pretty much anyone? Tyson landed some huge shots.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:01 AM   #8
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPontius
Corrected.

Holyfield's chin really is incredible. His stoppage loss against Bowe seemed to be more from disease/steroids/weight training rather than being stunned or anything. He took way more punishement in their first fight but went the distance. So realistically, he has not been stopped before he was 42 years old. Absolutely amazing, considering he fought Tyson twice, Lewis twice, Bowe three times as well as some other big punches like Mercer, Moorer and Cooper.
If he had less than an iron chin, he probably would not have seen the end of Bowe I, Lewis I and Tyson I.
Thanks

But yes, Holyfield's chin is if anything underrated. It's a fantastic chin.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:02 AM   #9
DamonD
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat_Lowe
Sure...although I remember Holyfield (around '9 relating how he was 100% sure Tyson was going to throw a left instead of a right, so there was a certain amount of surprise for Holyfield there I think I remember the whole story Holyfield related about him training for Tyson's left hook, if anyone wants me to type it up...

I'd say it's not so much Holy's chin as his durability and recuperative powers. He got shook up and staggered in quite a few fights but kept on swinging away. In those terms, he was truly great.

And the Bowe knockdown in their first fight was absolute bullshit by the way...
DamonD is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2008, 12:14 PM   #10
The Master

Behind the head?! Never heard anyone bring that up before. True, but stuff like that happens in a fight.
The Master is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2008, 12:53 PM   #11
anon1
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

holyfield had one of the best chin + heart + recuperative powers combinations out there. fighters like those are hard to stop. my opinion is that the chin & recuperatvive powers were a 4 and the heart was a 5 (rough estimates - don't expect 3.45 from me lol) i'm not surprised at all that holy didn't make much drama out of the monster punches from tyson he absorbed (as hard to believe as it is) because holy is one of "those fighters". just like muhammad ali. to stop fighters like those - a few monster punches in single shots won't do the trick. you have to work in combinations, land those monster shots repeatedly one after another for the course of 4-6 rounds (like the way Frazier did with Ali in fight 3 rounds 6-11 if I remember correctly) and then they'll slow down and then MAYBE you can stop them but even that is hard. that's what he saw in round 10 of holy-bowe 1.
anon1 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum