Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2008, 12:12 AM   #16
LeadLeftHook
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,706
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Thaxton's open letter to Simon Block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle
I don't see what Thaxton nearly losing to Stewart has to do with the rights and wrongs of this situation anymore than Khan nearly losing to Limond. Does a poor performance by a boxer mean you are no longer entitled to fair treatment by the BBBofC's General Secretary? You say Thaxton wants to cash out on Khan as his last fight - win or lose I'm not aware Thaxton has said he will automatically retire after Khan (should they ever fight). With regards to Murray, Thaxton did say after Khan withdrew that he was a possibility as an opponent. As for the "this isn't about whats right this is about money" statement - if its aimed at Thaxton I think thats harsh as he has clearly gone on record stating they agreed to go along with SN's request that the purse was split 50/50.
If you strictly speak of whats right then yes I agree, Khan should've fought Thaxton in an ideal world. But, all sancationing bodies only sometimes enforce mandatories and more often they dont. The parties can blame each other...it happens. I do feel bad for Thaxton.

But, in terms of development I think Thaxton would be step back unless Thaxton fights and beats a world level operator. Perhaps you need to rewatch but Thaxton and Lawton was almost even, untill the cut over Lawtons eye resulted in the stoppage.

Say IF Khan was to fight Thaxton next, I bet almost everyone complaining about Thaxton fight not happening will be the ones complaining about how ****** must've seen weakness and how Thaxton was picked only because he is old and how he struggled against Lawton and Stewart. Those are facts that will be brought out by so called critics only after the fight is made with Khan.
LeadLeftHook is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2008, 06:36 AM   #17
elle
Journeywoman
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,830
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Thaxton's open letter to Simon Block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faisal
khans performance against limmond cant be compared to the stewart-thaxton fight, limmond was a much better fighter then stewart besides
it was khans 13th fight against a very good operator whos only loss came to alex arthur, since the limond fight khans shown that hes in another league compared to thaxton. As for Lawton he had thaxton in serous trouble before he was cut, it was a no contest fight when he went in with khan
If you read my posts again you will see that it wasn't the actual performance I was comparing - it was the fact they are two fighters who have been on the brink of defeat yet managed to turn fights around to their advantage.

I don't agree Lawton had Thaxton in what I'd call serious trouble before he was cut - it was a good performance by Lawton but Thaxton always looked the stronger of the two to me. Eventhough Lawton got through with plenty of counters his punches didn't really seem to have that much effect on Thaxton compared to the ones Thaxton was landing.

I do agree that Khan v Lawton was a no contest fight.
elle is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:09 AM   #18
elle
Journeywoman
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,830
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Thaxton's open letter to Simon Block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadLeftHook
If you strictly speak of whats right then yes I agree, Khan should've fought Thaxton in an ideal world. But, all sancationing bodies only sometimes enforce mandatories and more often they dont. The parties can blame each other...it happens. I do feel bad for Thaxton.
The point is if you withdraw as a mandatory surely you should face the consequences i.e being stripped of your title as the rules state. What appears to have happened in this case is that Khan has managed to avoid Thaxton by withdrawing as mandatory challenger yet he has been allowed to keep the commonwealth title and has since gone on to make a further voluntary defence against St Clair eventhough Thaxton is the mandatory for it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadLeftHook
But, in terms of development I think Thaxton would be step back unless Thaxton fights and beats a world level operator. Perhaps you need to rewatch but Thaxton and Lawton was almost even, untill the cut over Lawtons eye resulted in the stoppage.

Say IF Khan was to fight Thaxton next, I bet almost everyone complaining about Thaxton fight not happening will be the ones complaining about how ****** must've seen weakness and how Thaxton was picked only because he is old and how he struggled against Lawton and Stewart. Those are facts that will be brought out by so called critics only after the fight is made with Khan.

I don't agree that Thaxton would be a step back in terms of development for Khan. Surely Thaxton presents a different sort of challenge than that Khan has faced before - he can punch and probably pressure Khan more than some of his recent opponents. He is also a big lightweight which would enable us to judge Khan against someone of similar size.

Perhaps I do need to rewatch Thaxton v Lawton but my recollection is that it wasn't just a cut that resulted in the stoppage - although it contributed. Incidentally I thought it was Lawton's nose that was split open rather than a cut over his eye. The ringside doctor did allow lawton to continue after inspecting the damage but Lawton seemed to sense the end was in sight and decided to go toe to toe with Thaxton and it was this that proved his undoing in the end. He landed some good shots on Thaxton but he replied with the punches that caused the referee to save Lawton from further punishment by stopping the fight. Think it was a good overhand right that Thaxton really caught him with - the type Khan could still be susceptible to.
elle is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:23 AM   #19
dan-b
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: Thaxton's open letter to Simon Block.

Elle you make some really good points & I agree with everything you say. The "other sanctioning bodies do it" argument is really poor. We're always saying how we want fighters going up the traditional route as opposed to WBU/WBF etc so we need the British & Commonwealth titles to maintain integrity & enforcing their own rules is pivotal in this.

Thaxton's performances are entirely irrelavent with regards his rights as mandatory. Nowhere in the rules does it say the manner of victory is a deciding factor with regards to imposing mandatories.

Thaxton should be applauded for bringing to light flagrant hypocrisy from the BBBofC. I strongly suspect these actions would not be taking place were Khan under management of the most powerful promoting force in Britsh Boxing.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:30 AM   #20
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 18,269
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Thaxton's open letter to Simon Block.

ALL arguments are moot. Thaxton IS the champ and if Khan REALLY wants to move onto the world stage via the traditional route then he needs to fight Thaxton. No true boxing fan will forgive Khan for beat the Commonwealth, English and Euro champ but not the British.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:30 AM   #21
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 18,269
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Thaxton's open letter to Simon Block.

Thaxton is slowly becoming to Khan what Witter is to Hatton.

Deal with it now or it'll hang over Khans head.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:45 AM   #22
DavidPayne
***.boxingwriter.co.uk
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 262
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Thaxton's open letter to Simon Block.

Absolutely, Khan should fight Thaxton, not least because he'd be a great learning fight.
DavidPayne is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:44 AM   #23
dwilson
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: Thaxton's open letter to Simon Block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxstuff
if Khan thinks he can beat Thaxton so easily, i don't see why he won't prove it.

Thaxton was entitled to a shot at the Commonwealtg. end of story. ******, for whatever reason, is not willing to accomodate this.

I also agree with Elle - he's fought at light-welter and is, therefore, a decent barometer of his progress
Your spot on. Although it seems like it is Khan who does not want the fight. I suspect ****** would be more happy Khan fighting Thaxton than stepping up and fighting the higher guys in the division who are big punchers and talented.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:08 PM   #24
Big Ears
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 1,139
vCash: 75
Default Re: Thaxton's open letter to Simon Block.

Despite what Leadlefthook has said(which is sounding almost like propaganda) it was an overhand right by Thaxton which had Lawton out on his feet that caused the ref to step in , not the cut he had suffered .

Thaxton himself admitted that the longer Khan stays away from him the better his chance , realising that Khan is obviously improving and Thaxton is probably aware that at his age he is slowly starting to decline . It seems Frank ****** wants to wait for as long as people for this fight to happen and give his man as best a chance as possible . You could critisize him for this but it is just similar to what he has done in the past .

However what does stink about the situation is Khan being withdrawn from a mandatory defense and being able to keep and defend his title , a situation which can simply not be justified .
Big Ears is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:11 AM   #25
LeadLeftHook
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,706
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Thaxton's open letter to Simon Block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat
ALL arguments are moot. Thaxton IS the champ and if Khan REALLY wants to move onto the world stage via the traditional route then he needs to fight Thaxton. No true boxing fan will forgive Khan for beat the Commonwealth, English and Euro champ but not the British.

Lewis, Benn, Eubank, Hamed etc...never fought for the British title? Why is it such a big deal if Khan doesnt fight for it?
In his 13th fight,. Khan beat a much better Common wealth champ in Limmond. He should be now allowed to take whatever path he needs to take for his career.
LeadLeftHook is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:14 AM   #26
LeadLeftHook
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,706
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Thaxton's open letter to Simon Block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ears
Despite what Leadlefthook has said(which is sounding almost like propaganda) it was an overhand right by Thaxton which had Lawton out on his feet that caused the ref to step in , not the cut he had suffered .

Thaxton himself admitted that the longer Khan stays away from him the better his chance , realising that Khan is obviously improving and Thaxton is probably aware that at his age he is slowly starting to decline . It seems Frank ****** wants to wait for as long as people for this fight to happen and give his man as best a chance as possible . You could critisize him for this but it is just similar to what he has done in the past .

However what does stink about the situation is Khan being withdrawn from a mandatory defense and being able to keep and defend his title , a situation which can simply not be justified .
Thaxton is not being avoided, fact is he looked poor in his last 2 fights and everyone will be saying so if Khan was to beat Thaxton. WHen the fight is made Thaxton will suddenly be old and shot right now he is 'avoided and dangerous'!

So I say now Khan should look for fringe world level operators which is what he needs now.
LeadLeftHook is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 03:29 AM   #27
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 18,269
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Thaxton's open letter to Simon Block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadLeftHook
Lewis, Benn, Eubank, Hamed etc...never fought for the British title? Why is it such a big deal if Khan doesnt fight for it?
In his 13th fight,. Khan beat a much better Common wealth champ in Limmond. He should be now allowed to take whatever path he needs to take for his career.
Each fighters circumstances are different. Thaxton is Khans rival. Benn, Eubank and Watson were each others rivals and they fought. We aren't complaining about Khan being British champ (though he should be), we are saying Thaxton is his worthy domestic rival. Not to mention it was Khan who said he wanted to go the traditional route.

PS - Lewis did fight for the British title. He won it off Mason and defended it.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 06:03 AM   #28
elle
Journeywoman
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,830
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Thaxton's open letter to Simon Block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadLeftHook
Thaxton is not being avoided, fact is he looked poor in his last 2 fights and everyone will be saying so if Khan was to beat Thaxton. WHen the fight is made Thaxton will suddenly be old and shot right now he is 'avoided and dangerous'!

So I say now Khan should look for fringe world level operators which is what he needs now.

LeadLeftHook - you seem to be missing the point, this isn't about whether you rate Thaxton or not.

Its about fair play and the BBBofC representing all boxers interests rather than showing favouritism.

Your constants digs at Thaxton in this thread just expose your bias for Khan and a lack of objectivity about the situation.

Whether we are supporters of Khan, Thaxton, neither or both isn't really what is relevant here - first and foremost we are boxing fans. The issue is the integrity of the BBBofC and recognising when a british champion who has dedicated years to the sport appears to have been treated unjustly.
elle is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013