Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Lewis-Rahman 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny's jab
The Tua fight.
26 clinches in 12 rounds.
With only about 4 of them being proper (wait for ref to seperate you) clinches, the rest all quick positional switches.
DamonD is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2008, 05:13 AM   #32
punchy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
When it comes to rating the greats, we have to take these things into account.

You say "these sorts of defeats", but which other great heavyweight just stood there all skewed-legged and got knocked out by one punch that any decent defensive fighter would have avoided ?

People here seem to be almost admiring his "overconfidence", as if it proves his superiority. What I see is very poor boxing in this instance. This is actually a far more severe technical error than the one that cost him against McCall, where Ollie at least had to time his shot when Lewis was launching his own right.

Fighters that do this often are ordinary fighters. Lewis's record proves he was no ordinary fighter, but this one instance alone has to affect his standing to some degree surely.
My answer is
Dempsey/Tunney I
Baer/Braddock
Louis/Schmelling I
Liston/Clay I
Frazier/Ali I
Frazier/Foreman I
Ali/Spinks I
Ali/Norton I
Ali/Young
Holmes/Spinks I
Tyson/Douglas

but hold Lewis to account by all means which you should.
punchy is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2008, 05:23 AM   #33
Sonny's jab

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonD
26 clinches in 12 rounds.
With only about 4 of them being proper (wait for ref to seperate you) clinches, the rest all quick positional switches.
Hey, I was kidding. But I bet you're glad I gave you the chance to tell me all that !
Your post "I hope he doesn't say the Tua fight" amused me because it came after I'd already answered the question.
I never said Lewis was a "jab and grab" man, I said I had expected him to attempt those tactics in the Rahman rematch. I was wrong, and pleasantly surprised, and impressed by Lewis's approach.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:40 AM   #34
Sonny's jab

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by punchy
My answer is
Dempsey/Tunney I
Baer/Braddock
Louis/Schmelling I
Liston/Clay I
Frazier/Ali I
Frazier/Foreman I
Ali/Spinks I
Ali/Norton I
Ali/Young
Holmes/Spinks I
Tyson/Douglas

but hold Lewis to account by all means which you should
Some of these comparisons are way off, IMO.
I dont think it's correct to compare Ali losing to Frazier or even Dempsey losing to Tunney to Lewis-Rahman 1. Frazier and Tunney were great fighters fighting great fights. Ali looked like a great fighter in defeat, against Frazier.

Frazier got up six times against Foreman. Sure, he was badly beaten, but by a bigger stronger man. Foreman was better than Rahman.

Some of your other comparisons are nearer to the mark though.
We should hold all these guys to account. I agree with that.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:41 AM   #35
DamonD
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Hey, I was kidding. But I bet you're glad I gave you the chance to tell me all that !
I was actually coming back here to say "thanks for biting" but you beat me to it, heh...

It was about 2 years back when I did it, during the aftermath of the Wlad-Peter fight...someone annoyed at the accusation that Wladimir clinched a lot there and said Lewis did the same against Tua.
DamonD is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2008, 05:52 AM   #36
Sonny's jab

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonD
I was actually coming back here to say "thanks for biting" but you beat me to it, heh...

It was about 2 years back when I did it, during the aftermath of the Wlad-Peter fight...someone annoyed at the accusation that Wladimir clinched a lot there and said Lewis did the same against Tua.
I think the Tua fight was one of his best performances, up there with Holyfield 1 and Rahman 2.

It was a bit frustrating at the time, towards the end, it certainly lacked drama. But really Tua was the disappointment. Lewis boxed well against the man in front of him, barely put a foot wrong.
Lewis was really starting to impress me around this time, then next fight this Rahman thing happens.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:21 AM   #37
DamonD
Champion
East Side Guru

Tua in the 230s or better 220s would've made for a better effort.

But then, even that version of Tua was capable of getting outboxed for long periods of time...Izon, Maskaev, Ibeabuchi, Wooden, Rahman, Nicholson, Oquendo, Byrd...

When you consider the chin, power and hand speed Tua possesses, that he's never held a title belt (and even worse has only had 1 shot at one) in his career is a tremendous disappointment, certainly to me.

Just a little more hustle and he might've been the guy fighting Holyfield for the vacant IBF strap in 2002, not Byrd. But a consistant jab, and good movement, is his kryptonite.
DamonD is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2008, 07:38 PM   #38
josak
Belt holder
ESB Addict

lewis was ****y, got KO'd.
josak is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2008, 07:44 PM   #39
barneyrub
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
I think the Tua fight was one of his best performances, up there with Holyfield 1 and Rahman 2.

It was a bit frustrating at the time, towards the end, it certainly lacked drama. But really Tua was the disappointment. Lewis boxed well against the man in front of him, barely put a foot wrong.
Lewis was really starting to impress me around this time, then next fight this Rahman thing happens.
I love the Tua fight, here it is.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
barneyrub is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2008, 04:33 AM   #40
DamonD
Champion
East Side Guru

I always remember Lewis, sitting on his stool between rounds 11 and 12 with Manny and co saying how it was all such a breeze for him, going "It ain't over. It ain't over."
Wish he had that same focus against Rahman in South Africa!

Also, Lewis looking at the camera and going "Science again! Science!" when the fight finished.

We need a Lewis-Tua topic... :P
DamonD is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum