Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-02-2012, 10:00 AM   #1501
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Charlie Magri v Eleconcio Mercedes, terrific fun, two excellent fighters throwing big bombs.
McGrain is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2012, 10:20 AM   #1502
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
just watched arsmtrong vs ambers, not really sure how anyone could score it to ambers tbh. seems a close but clear armstrong victory to me.
By the way Luf....check out this thread I made a while back.....Some interesting posts there...check out Klomptonīs posts.....
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2012, 03:54 PM   #1503
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Just watched benitez vs cervantes, palomino and duran.

I think cervantes might actually be his career best performance. has a 17 year old ever looked that good?

His control of range, timing and elusiveness was all top notch and against a prime divisional atg like cervantes.

Amazing stuff.

ali (vs terrell)
armstrong (vs ross)
arguello (vs kobayashi)
benitez (vs cerantes)
angott (vs zivic)
basilio (vs de marco)
apostoli (vs steele)
lufcrazy is online now  Top
Old 02-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #1504
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
Charlie Magri v Eleconcio Mercedes, terrific fun, two excellent fighters throwing big bombs.
Ima get Mercedes fight with Castillo when I get back off holiday, where he won the 'lineal' Flyweight championship.

You seen anything else of him McGrain? One of the most ridiculously tough matched fighters I've ever come across, but with Olympic pedigree and, as the Magri fight displays, some talent.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2012, 08:56 AM   #1505
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Colin Jones D12 Milton McCrory

I think the reactions of the two fighters at the decision tells the story here. Jones celebrated like he had won, McCory was devastated. On the other hand it's a little more complicated.

A great fight described by the styles of the two men, Jones an enormously tough swarming puncher with low volume, McCory a box-mover with a stiff jab. I thought McCrory looked really good here, a little left hand happy and leaning in on occasion with lunging punches, but for the most part a very decent techie with a schooled straight lead and fine footwork. Jones did exactly what he said he wasn't going to do, and ceeded the early rounds to his American opponent, but he also forced McCrory to change his own plan. Determined to stay in and out-fight the Welshman he instead had to get up on his bike and run for large chunks of the fight. Jones was absolutely impossible to discourage, swallowing everythying that was thrown at him, and McCrory had some punches, left hook to the body and jab upstairs are standouts, but the straight right and a sneak uppercut also made an impact.

It looked like being a fight very much of two halves, but McCrory did manage to pinch the 8th on the run (whatever the hugely biased Carpenter commentary might lead us to believe) and also rallied beautifully in the 11th and 12th, despite looking out of it, to take those rounds on my card.

Speaking of which, my card is wider than even the judge that scored for McCrory and the considerable heart and grit Jones showed probably entitled him to more. Still, you score the rounds and not the fights I guess.

JONES: 6,7,9,10

McCRORY: 1,2,3,4,5,8,11,12

8-4 McCrory
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2012, 08:57 AM   #1506
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
You seen anything else of him McGrain? One of the most ridiculously tough matched fighters I've ever come across, but with Olympic pedigree and, as the Magri fight displays, some talent.
Nah, I don't know much about him at all. I do have that fight though, so hang fire i may get it uploaded.

Last edited by McGrain; 02-04-2012 at 11:30 AM.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2012, 11:11 AM   #1507
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Larry Holmes TKO11 Renaldo Snipes.

I like Snipes. I like his face in the corner between rounds. He looks like he's going to cry. I'm not denigrating him though, this was some brave effort, he came to fight and he almost made it work. That punch in the seventh must have been as hard as Holmes would ever be hit, the Shavers moment aside? It was a really strange KD also, the slow-motions sinking into a kind of half-splits.

I also don't like the talk of Holmes taking Snipes lightly, particularly. His right-hand looked extremely sharp, uppercuts and the right hook coming square off that punch. Snipes was just inspired. Holmes was ready for his "Buster Douglas" moment though, and he has better recovery than Tyson, which made all the difference. He was ready to domnate slightly in the very next round.

Good fight. I got no problem with that stoppage. Snipes was taking that right hand flush, and although Holmes didn't look like he was rushing that's worse, not better. He measured Snipes for every one of those horrible punches. If it had gone on a little, I could have got on board with that, but i've no problem really.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2012, 11:48 AM   #1508
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Sugar Ray Leoanrd KO3 Bruce Finch

"As one-sided as a lynching" according to the rather colourful commentary...

Leoanrd showed all his punches here and was in scintillating form. This is how you do it against inferior opposition. A beautiful moment in round two where Leonard allowed himself to be steered to the ropes and pinned before dropping a sharp combination on a totally beffudled Finch who went into reverse faster than he would have done had he...walkedi in on a lynching I guess you could say?

Also noteworthy for the type of intimate and direct pep talk that made Dundee famous. "Do your thing and this kid'll fall apart." It sounds inadaquete, a platitude, but as was so often the case, he was quite right.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2012, 07:01 AM   #1509
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Colin Jones KO2 Hans-Henrik Palm

Great performance from Jones and he shows a really nice snapping jab in one but Palm maybe starts the second round better and finds his stride before Jones just cracks out an absolute beauty of a left hook and Palm is gone. Jones shows some cracking punches to close the show ripping in all kinds of hard shots to close the blinds. Real nice miniature.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2012, 08:31 AM   #1510
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Took a short break from my list to watch something a bit more recent.

Pac-Jmm 1

1:10-6
2:10-9
3:9-10
4:9-10
5:9-10
6:9-10
7:10-9
8:10-9
9:9-10
10:9-10
11:9-10
12:9-10

112-113

Over the 3 fights I have it 1-1-1 (the second I gave to pac 114-113; the third I scored 114-114)

Good fight and I'm not sure which round I scored differently last time I score it but JMM boxed really well rounds 3-12 (dropping only 2 on my card).

JMM as a featherweight is regarded pretty high imo with victories in my book against:

julio gervacio
agapito sanchez
alfred kotey
juan cabrera
freddie norwood
daniel jimenez
robbie pedan
manuel medina
derrick gainer
manny pacquiao
orlando salido
victor polo
chris john

not sure where I rank him in the divisions history but I think it'll compare quite well with other more famous featherweights.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:24 PM   #1511
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
Nah, I don't know much about him at all. I do have that fight though, so hang fire i may get it uploaded.
Why the edit?

Please do, and thanks
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2012, 02:26 PM   #1512
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
Took a short break from my list to watch something a bit more recent.

Pac-Jmm 1

1:10-6
2:10-9
3:9-10
4:9-10
5:9-10
6:9-10
7:10-9
8:10-9
9:9-10
10:9-10
11:9-10
12:9-10

112-113

Over the 3 fights I have it 1-1-1 (the second I gave to pac 114-113; the third I scored 114-114)

Good fight and I'm not sure which round I scored differently last time I score it but JMM boxed really well rounds 3-12 (dropping only 2 on my card).

JMM as a featherweight is regarded pretty high imo with victories in my book against:

julio gervacio
agapito sanchez
alfred kotey
juan cabrera
freddie norwood
daniel jimenez
robbie pedan
manuel medina
derrick gainer
manny pacquiao
orlando salido
victor polo
chris john

not sure where I rank him in the divisions history but I think it'll compare quite well with other more famous featherweights.
That resume is not all that IMO.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2012, 03:21 PM   #1513
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
That resume is not all that IMO.
Hamed, mab and em are glaring misses but all in all I think it's actually quite a strong resume tbh.

From top of my head, not a great amount of feather's can beat it.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:34 PM   #1514
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

There's a lot of recognisable names but not many genuinely good names.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2012, 03:53 PM   #1515
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
There's a lot of recognisable names but not many genuinely good names.
pac is a great name though. john, norwood and gainer were all top names. sanchez, peden and salido are pretty good names.

I think it's pretty good.

I've not sat down and listed but as I say, I can't think of many feather's to surpass it.

For example two of the better regarded feather's resume at the weight isn't massively better

Armstrong:
Covelli, Milling, Wolgast, Leyvas, Arizmendi, Zurita, Belloise, Casanova, Sarron.

Arguello:
Gomez, Rodriguez, Legra, Garcia, Hafey, Olivares, Riasco,Kobayashi.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum