Old 02-06-2008, 04:25 PM   #16
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Alexis Arguello vs. Salvador Sanchez

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra
I concede to you gentlemen that most likely Sanchez would not have tko'ed Arguello, but he would have definitely been too slick a boxer for the man from Nicaraugua, and that's coming from a big Arguello fan. The fact is that Alexis had trouble with boxers, witness Villamar Fernandez, BOTH times. Sanchez was superior to Fernandez by far, and would have calmly outboxed Arguello as well. I don't think any man Sanchez defeated as champion would have been able to beat him in a rematch, Nelson included. I think Sanchez had an off-night in his meeting with Nelson, and would have beaten him again in a rematch. I think Sanchez was special as a fighter, and not the typical head-first, Mexican slugger and was somewhat like Monzon in his cool, calculated style. I don't have a grudge against Arguello either, as I ALWAYS rooted for him in whatever fight he was in, but Sanchez was special.
Sanchez was rocked and hurt by guys like Badillo and other lesser fighters than Arguello. He showed a lot of flaws in a lot of fights, and was nearly beaten by a green Nelson. Was being outboxed by Ford in their fight. He was not unbeatable, though very good. He did seem to rise to his best in the biggest fights, so you can use that to his advantage though.

Arguello was just as special as Sanchez the way I saw it. He showed flaws yes, but so did Sanchez, and often.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2008, 02:55 AM   #17
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
I concede to you gentlemen that most likely Sanchez would not have tko'ed Arguello, but he would have definitely been too slick a boxer for the man from Nicaraugua, and that's coming from a big Arguello fan. The fact is that Alexis had trouble with boxers, witness Villamar Fernandez, BOTH times. Sanchez was superior to Fernandez by far, and would have calmly outboxed Arguello as well. I don't think any man Sanchez defeated as champion would have been able to beat him in a rematch, Nelson included. I think Sanchez had an off-night in his meeting with Nelson, and would have beaten him again in a rematch. I think Sanchez was special as a fighter, and not the typical head-first, Mexican slugger and was somewhat like Monzon in his cool, calculated style. I don't have a grudge against Arguello either, as I ALWAYS rooted for him in whatever fight he was in, but Sanchez was special.
Would you really classify Sanchez as a "slick boxer" tho? He and Vilomar are very different fighters and i would would not consider Sanchez anything above "good" speed wise. Salvador thrives against come forward fighters and is definitely not as effective vs a top level counterpuncher. What we have here is two counterpunchers. At any weight under any scenario i can see nothing but a very competitive fight between two of the greatest to ever lace a glove. Arguello IMO uses his jab a bit better than Sal and this certainly won't hurt.

A real chess match this one.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2008, 04:12 AM   #18
Thinman
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
To have troubles and lose are too different things. I have both of AA fights against Fernandez and I can tell you that if both fights would have been for a title, which means a 15 round fight, VF would have end up with his ass on the canvas.

You said "I don't think any man Sanchez defeated as champion would have been able to beat him in a rematch". The same goes for AA. Let me tell you that AA never lost any of hist titles in the ring.

I have no doubts in mine mind that AA would have defeated Sanchez at 126 (I am talking about the AA just before vacating his title) or 135. Why? Take a look at the fight between Sanchez and Gomez, which people talk about being one of his best fights and also Sanchez against Lopez.
Thinman is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2008, 01:58 PM   #19
richie leon
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I think SS could outbox AA @ 126, AA would always have trouble with movers/boxers, and SS was maybe the most composed boxer i've ever seen. Stone cold.
At 135 it's hard to tell, because since SS died so young it's impossible to know how he would have filled out later on. AA does seem like he was always more suitable for higher weights though, no question about that.
richie leon is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2008, 02:08 PM   #20
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

Sanchez, close but clear UD.
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum