Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 02-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #31
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121
Default Re: Describe your worst sparring experience...

I had sparred a few times with a friend who was an amateur and first instructed me, and he mostly went light on me. He was very into stressing fundamentals, and never stunned me too badly. When I first went to my gym and sparred for the first time, it was against a guy naturally bigger than me who was also a puncher. He said he had broken his hand, so I figured we'd be sparring relatively lightly. When I threw the first jab at him, he slipped it, and in slow motion I saw him come at me with a furious hook I could do nothing about. It clocked me hard. I had no idea he was going to come out that hard. I became more cautious, and eventually figured I'd have to hit him hard back, but it just gave him more opportunities to hit me with huge shots I didn't see coming (because of my eyes closing and especially because of the headgear.) My coach stopped it after he saw I was so dizzy. I never had problems sparring with anyone else in the gym, and I never understood why this guy had to hit like that when it was clear I had less experience.

One thing that worried me in a kind of ironic way was when I found out I could take those kinds of shots. They hurt like hell, they blurred my vision, they made my brain feel like it was swelling out of my skull, and yet I never felt like my legs were about to give or I was about to lose consciousness. It might have been easier to have found out I was glass-chinned and merely needed to avoid getting hit at all costs, but the risks felt very real once I found out these bombs weren't about to put me away. Fortunately, I got better, and have never gotten rocked like that since.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2012, 07:14 PM   #32
Little_Mac
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

I used to be a sparring partner for this 200lb mexican cage fighter. His girlfriend was a 160lb professional boxer. He brought her to the gym to train with us one day.

I was about 130 at the time, so they made me spar with her. After about a round or two I hit her with a snappy jab and shattered her nose. This was all in front of her little 3 year old daughter and her mean-as-**** boyfriend.

My coach lolled.
Little_Mac is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2012, 09:01 PM   #33
Steenalized
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
I'm big, experienced, and I can go light with folks pretty well; so I get put in with a lot of new guys.
My worst experiences have been getting thrown in with noobs who try to kill me and getting yelled at if I get any payback. Unfortunately, I don't have the best temper in the world - but I've been really trying to work on it lately.

Other than new guys, my worst experiences with experienced guys have been:

Broke my ribs 3 times - first time was judo practice gone bad, second 2 times were muay thai knees

Had a spazzy mma guy tackle me while doing "standup" sparring. He didn't like a technique his own coach had me doing earlier, to get out of his guard so he was trying to get payback. His coach stopped me before i lit him up. a week later he pulled a cheap shot, grabbed my shirt, and slammed me on a hardwood floor, giving me retinal damage (since healed). Never went back to that class, because I was afraid I'd literally kill him. I was a lot bigger with better striking technique and enough takedown defense to keep off the ground when I wasn't being blindsided. It wouldn't have been pretty, but it would've been settled. Used to shake when I thought about him.

Another time a friend asked me to work with his student. I was to feed him stand up, he was to defend and try to set up counters & throws. We weren't on mats, so the throws weren't supposed to be completed. He was using fingerless gloves, i was using huge 20+oz safety gloves. He grabbed the cuff of my glove, swept my feet, and spiked me hard on my shoulder. Knew I had 30 seconds left till shock wore off; so I played it off like nothing happened so we could start back up. Got him in a clinch and said "mother f***er" as I grabbed his head in a clinch and let loose with full power knees to his face. After the first barely landed, he stood straight up with fear in his eyes, pushed me off and literally ran out of the training area. Got kicked out of that gym for a little while after that one.

Some little guys like to go full out on big guys to make them "feel" it. They're fast enough to land, most of the time they wear small gloves (talking 14oz or less), and they're bringing it - so it hurts. You call them on it and they deny it, saying you should be able to take it. They're freaking quick so going light slows you down enough not to catch 'em. You stalk them and you're the bully because you're heavier.

I try to be careful of who I spar with these days. I'm also on a kick lately where I'm just trying to keep it fun. That means covering up and taking my ego out of the equation. So far so good: feed new guys just enough to keep them busy and spend most of the time covering up.

At my age, I just don't have time for anymore serious injuries.
Hate, hate, HATE that. One guy showed up to my college's boxing club back when I was in that, had like 8-10 oz gloves and wanted to spar me. I was like sure, he said he's new to boxing (but did have muay thai experience I believe) and we told him that we could only spar lightly. I'm using big 20 oz gloves and doing enough to keep him off me for the most part until he starts just swinging for the fences. He was about 140 lbs, I was about 260 at the time. He busted my lip (and the nose of another member later) and got all defensive when we told him to lighten up and not sit on his punches.
Steenalized is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2012, 09:37 PM   #34
PNoyFightFanUSN
Larry Don't Give a ****
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

The last time i sparred anyone before i transferred duty stations, the kid who had been working in the ring wanted a few more rounds so the owner asked if i wanted to go in. Didn't know he was a regional golden gloves runner up. I'd only been boxing for about 9 months on and off because of the training cycle my ship was in. Couldn't catch him and I felt like my body was protesting my trying to fight back. Definitely felt shitty but he was a nice guy and gave me some tips afterwards.
PNoyFightFanUSN is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2012, 09:40 PM   #35
D@ZMX

i was sparring a absolute beginner i was taking it easy picking my shots catching him nicely but with no power while he was trying to take my head off... il never forget it.. went to throw a left hook then a straight right as the hook came out BOOM he dropped me like a bad habbit lol... infront of the whole gym.. very embaressing!!
D@ZMX is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2012, 10:34 PM   #36
bald_head_slick
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I had been training, sparring and taking technical classes regularly. I always try to encourage young guys to "give it a try" (sparring) so they can see how technical The Sweet Science is. Two Marines sign up, are attending regularly, and I was encouraging the hell out of them. They finally got their fundamentals down and pass to spar and sparring day was upon us.

Well "lucky" me decided to eat a more substantial breakfast so I could just eat oatmeal for lunch to keep the stomach light. I found this great Filipino place that made great stuffed buns and had lumpia. Why not? "You want some dipping sauce?" Me, "Sure, why not?" My fatal mistake!

So I hit the gym. The Young Marines are there and ready to see me go. I feel WEIRD. Panicked and a little out of sorts, but I chalk it up to gym jitters. I am sparring and it is literally like my body is fighting me. I am occasionally trembling and staring off into space between rounds thinking, "What the hell?" Sheepishly offering to them, "I don't know what is up today." They are looking at me like, "Oh. Ok."

As the torture filled hour goes on... I am getting my a$$ handed to me progressively worse. The gym mauler smells weakness and starts pounding me like a cheap piece of steak. One more round to go and... I dive out of the ring and blow up the gym bathroom. "Must be the sparring." I go back to talk with the guys and am completely humiliated. If I wasn't so concussed, it might have been a depression.

The next day I am at work nursing my concussion. Right after I get in, I have the runs so bad I can't even go home for fear I will crap my pants in the car! I stay at work until damn near 10pm. I am finally empty and head home close to passing out. I take a shower and get in bed. I put on a hoody jogging suit and still need to cover up in 3 blankets because I have chills. I check my temperature... 105 degrees Fahrenheit! I am concussed, sick, and... elated! I have food poisoning!!! Yes! There is a REASON!

I takes me a full month to recover. The only thing on my mind is redeeming myself. Low and behold, like most "I wannas", The Young Marines quit and were never seen again. I will probably forever be known in their head as "Remember that Boxing dude..." Damn.

What I wouldn't do to work with those guys and have them see me work at 100%.
bald_head_slick is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2012, 07:32 AM   #37
freddieMaize
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1053

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

I got my eyes blackend.. I still feel horrified when I spar this guy..
freddieMaize is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2012, 07:39 AM   #38
lepinthehood
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUMPY KNUCKLES View Post
My first ever sparring session got beat up by a 15 year old lol.
im getting beaten by 15year old everytime i spar, cant seem to get inside him and hes quick can hit ok for his age too. hes had like 20fights though, while i have none. im 20 as well lol
lepinthehood is online now  Top
Old 02-07-2012, 08:31 AM   #39
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1075

My worst experience i guess is when a heavy weight and notable puncher hit me with a straight to the nose and followed up with a left hook! Everything went white with star bursts in my vision and my nose gushed with blood and kept dripping blood for a couple days. However i always look back on two things 1 my nose didnt break and 2 i never went down and he even admitted he clocked me really hard.

Same as another time where we were cycled in the ring with a pro fighter who just seemed to stand in the middle of the ring and just counter everything! Kept hitting me with the same shot left hook to the body and although my legs sagged and went to jelly i still didnt go down.

So i guess sometimes your worst sparring experience can be turned into a positive, i got alot of positive comments both times even though i got destroyed both times
Johnboy2007 is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2012, 09:09 AM   #40
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru

Very refreshing ta see guys fess-up to these drubbings; 'n from the details, ya can tell they're the truth.

Usually threads are about who's more badass.

Like you guys, I've gotten my lumps more than once.
john garfield is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2012, 09:29 AM   #41
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1075

Quote:
Originally Posted by john garfield View Post
Very refreshing ta see guys fess-up to these drubbings; 'n from the details, ya can tell they're the truth.

Usually threads are about who's more badass.

Like you guys, I've gotten my lumps more than once.
I just dont see it as a bad thing! If your gunna swim your going to get wet. The main thing is to learn from it.

Last night i "sparred" with my mate who is just starting out. Using only the jab trying to tag each other! Iv been out of the gym for a while with good coaching and i got tagged from bad habbits iv picked up! Its not about ego , hes brand new if hes tagging me then hes improving and if im getting tagged then im doing something wrong! No point in being in denial about it .. learn from it and fix it. For example im going to go back to basics myself over the next few weeks!
Johnboy2007 is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2012, 10:15 AM   #42
DeadlyOverhand
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

My was when I stopped going to the gym because of school, then returned a couple of months later and my timming was gone, no speed and defence was sloppy. Still had my stamina, but just got hit with every punch the guy threw. I "threw" a right hand late in the round that made him back of, so that kept me from totally losing hope on boxing.
DeadlyOverhand is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2012, 11:05 AM   #43
Pork Chop
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Forgot a few more stories...

First year of training seriously, boxing sparring. Back then i was being forced to learn orthodox (wasn't allowed to switch southpaw till about the 1 year mark). Reason I later switched was because my right cross was pretty much useless due to a leg issue I have. Sparred a southpaw, hyper extended a right cross to the body just as he was lunging forward. Fractured the tip of my ulna. My brother was in town and hanging with me at the gym that night. He'd flirted up the girl working at the desk and the 2 of them were watching. Managed to finish out the round like a 1-armed boxer.

Later that night, went out with my brother and that girl. Every single girl we came across (sometimes 2 and 3 at a time) would try to get with him and completely ignored me. Depression followed. Was drunk for a week straight after that one.

---

The 2 times I had my ribs broken by knees were both by the same guy. I hate sparring tall guys, especially in muay thai. Once they get over 6'3", I have a VERY hard time. Anybody else, not that big of a deal. The guy with the knees is like 6'4~6'5.

---

When I lived in Maryland, I would train at my coach's second gym in Virginia on Saturday mornings. None of the guys there knew me, so they'd often try to go real hard in sparring. One particular guy was really buff, but kinda short (talking maybe 5'8"). Jarhead type. The kind of guy that "accidentally" misses the belly pad every single time whenever you work on drills (nailing you in the chest or in the junk). We spar. He's real stiff and wants to go real hard. My favorite technique is kick catches (and sweeps). It's nice, because having to get up off the ground makes them tired, a little embarrassed, and gets them to be a bit more careful. I kick catch him a few times and sweep him. The guy's a former wrestler and would rather be doing mma. I guess he's had enough because as soon as we get to a clinch, he shoots a double and starts going for a ground and pound. I tried to shrimp, tried to bridge, he refuses to get off, can't hit me though, eventually i just hold on for dear life until the coach tells him to get up.

---

I don't know about you guys, but after these kinds of events happen, the worst part is having to listen to my coach talk these guys up about how great they're going to be. Never had a coach that went around saying I was going to be a killer, or told me that I would be some sort of champion. Best I seem to manage is getting a coach to agree to letting me get in there and maybe helping me out a bit.
Pork Chop is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #44
DaveK
Vicious & Malicious
ESB Addict

I was new to this gym and came in hitting the speed bag and double end bags better than anyone in the gym, including the star of the gym, a pro light-heavy with 14 or so wins and maybe 2 losses...

So we were friendly, and when we sparred, I expected him to check his ego because I had no fights, amateur or pro, and wasn't in great shape to begin with... I didn't expect him to have anything to prove.

I was wrong.

We moved around and felt each other out, then he went to the corner after it was clear I couldn't hit him that clean... He waved me in to hit him, so I tried, and it became clear that in my current condition, I couldn't hurt him or hit him hard enough to dent him if I had a clear shot...

Then he started countering. He hammered me with a couple big shots, so I backed off and wanted to box. He spun me into the ropes and crushed me with a hook which put my upped body through the ropes where I tried to cover up, and that's when he bombed me again with a monster left hook in the nose that certainly broke it... This was as I'm trying to get back through the ropes.

I remember thinking it was such a bitch move. An unnecessary bitch move. He could have let me get some work in and not had his pride hurt at all, but he took someone who had no chance of even landing anything serious and beat the tar out of him...

I lost alot of respect for him after that. I kept around after that for a couple weeks, but moved out of state a couple weeks after this anyway.
DaveK is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2012, 12:55 PM   #45
Boxinglad123
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

When I was fourteen and about 60kg I was sparring with this 70kg 20 something year old in our gym who had trained for a while but not fought. I'd out-boxed him for a round and as we came out for the second one he was pissed, came in hard at me. I managed to keep him away for a minute, boxing well but then he came in close and got my with this hard left hook to the body, put me down and man the pain was bad. Learned to do my sit-ups after that one. Recently I was sparring with a senior, a guy with lots of fights and about 72kg, I'm 64kg now and 16. We touched gloves and were off. My god, the guy just pawed out a jab and it was one of the hardest shots I've ever been hit with, he didn't even put any effort into it but it just had this thudding power behind it. Boxed about 4 rounds with him that day and kept my hands and elbows tight for all of it, it was crazy. It was a learning curve rather than a bad experience though.
Boxinglad123 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing