Old 02-08-2012, 03:56 AM   #1
Manning
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1449
Default Povetkin close to quiting against Chambers

Quote:
Emanuel STEWARD:

I do. I think Marco Huck, first of all Povetkin is a true super heavyweight but not compared to some of the physically big, big guys. I think Huck is a good fighter. I’ve met him a few times and watched him fight. He’s a good boxer and a puncher, but he brings in a very strong mindset. And you know me I go more by the mental makeup of a boxer or the person than I do even the skill level. That’s something that I don’t think Povetkin has had to deal with so much in the past. I know in the fight with Chambers I didn’t understand what was being said in between rounds but I know that Wladimir pointed out to me, because he understands Russian, that at one point in the Chambers fight he was wanting to quit, even in that fight. So being that he may not be that strong mentally, Huck being a confident guy and residing in Germany also means that he will be sharing a lot of that same crowd support that in the past Povetkin didn’t have to share with his opponents for the most part. I think that it’s going to be a very good fight and much more competitive than anyone expects.

I wonder if this is true?
Manning is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2012, 04:14 AM   #2
Bubby
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Povetkin close to quiting against Chambers

I just dont think Povetkin cares that much for boxing.
Bubby is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2012, 09:45 AM   #3
Cafe
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 277

Not sure why? Chambers is featherfisted. Also, although Chambers was outboxing him for a moment, it was very early in the fight, quitting at that point would have been very very foolish.
Cafe is online now  Top
Old 02-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #4
Escopeta
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Povetkin couldn't deal with Chambers handspeed and took some quite scary punches full flush until Chambers stopped throwing.
Escopeta is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2012, 12:00 PM   #5
Vysotsky
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escopeta View Post
Povetkin couldn't deal with Chambers handspeed and took some quite scary punches full flush until Chambers stopped throwing.
Chambers won 3 rounds and the 3 he did win were very competitive then Povetkin dominated from round 4 or 5 on. This whole Eddie was schooling him until he gassed bullshit is old. Maybe Povetkin throwing 90+ punches a round had something to do with it.
Vysotsky is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2012, 04:29 PM   #6
ludwig
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I agree with Steward that it's gonna be a good fight and more competitive then expected. But I don't think Povetkin would have taken the fight if he hadn't turned the corner mentally. Povetkin is feeling confident right now and Huck won't survive 12 rounds of those left hooks.
ludwig is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2012, 08:38 PM   #7
chitownfightfan
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 661

I don't know about Potvetkin being ready to quit in that fight as he was pretty much dominating the second half of the fight, but I question Manny's words right here..........."And you know me I go more by the mental makeup of a boxer or the person than I do even the skill level."..........What the hell lured him to Waldimir

Or maybe he's talking about Wlad's opponents. Can't quite figure what he's referring to here as his biggest fighters, Cotto and Wlad are both known to wilt under pressure.
chitownfightfan is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2012, 08:44 PM   #8
Livershot09
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 16685

Povetkin got sick right before the fight. He was on all kinds of antibiotics according to Sauerland (who almost postponed the fight at the last minute) and still threw 929 punches which at the time was like the second most for a heavyweight.
Livershot09 is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2012, 08:58 PM   #9
Bubby
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livershot09 View Post
Povetkin got sick right before the fight. He was on all kinds of antibiotics according to Sauerland (who almost postponed the fight at the last minute) and still threw 929 punches which at the time was like the second most for a heavyweight.
Wow, I didnt know that! A sick Povetkin still kicked Eddie's ass. No wonder Chambers said "no" to a rematch.
Bubby is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2012, 10:08 PM   #10
Nosbor
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysotsky View Post
Chambers won 3 rounds and the 3 he did win were very competitive then Povetkin dominated from round 4 or 5 on. This whole Eddie was schooling him until he gassed bullshit is old. Maybe Povetkin throwing 90+ punches a round had something to do with it.
I was not even that generous, soring two for Chambers and one even. 118-111 for Sasha. The usual suspects made it sound like Povetkin escaped with his life when infact he won comfortable and performed pretty well considering his circumstances.

Steward is talking out of his ass because he knows Huck is an easier mark for Wlad so he is lobbying for a Huck screw job gift.
Nosbor is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2012, 04:45 AM   #11
pirao666
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosbor View Post
I was not even that generous, soring two for Chambers and one even. 118-111 for Sasha. The usual suspects made it sound like Povetkin escaped with his life when infact he won comfortable and performed pretty well considering his circumstances.

Steward is talking out of his ass because he knows Huck is an easier mark for Wlad so he is lobbying for a Huck screw job gift.
They are both easy fights for Wlad, I doubt Steward is worried about either of them.
pirao666 is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2012, 06:07 AM   #12
Escopeta
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysotsky View Post
I wasn't even talking about Chambers winning rounds or something. but Chambers landed his best punches and Povetkin took them motionless like a punching bag and Chambers did damage and busted Povetkins face up in that fight. So if Povetkin wanted to quit at some point the reason for that probably was that he just wasn't willing to take more punishment and even would rather have blown a fight he was winning. If Chambers had kept it up who knows maybe Povetkin would have really quit the fight
Escopeta is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2012, 07:26 PM   #13
Vysotsky
Champion
East Side Guru

Evidently 1 Million Dollars says Povetkin wasn't close to quitting.....

"That bit of information was not the root cause of Hyrunov's anger. Hyrunov was very offended with Steward's story regarding Povetkin's fight with Eddie Chambers in 2008. According to Steward, Wladimir told him that "Povetkin was trying to quit between rounds." Steward, who doesn't understand Russian, said Wladimir translated the trainer/fighter conversations that were taking place between rounds.

"That is a lie. I have a tape of the Chambers fight. I am willing to fly to Austria [where Klitschko is training] to meet face to face with Steward and Wladimir. I will play that tape for them. If they are able to find a single moment where Alexander asked for the fight to be stopped, I will write out a check for $1 million dollars. They should not be making these defamatory comments about Povetkin," Hyrunov told the Scene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livershot09 View Post
I completely forgot about that but now that you mention it i do remember hearing that. He had a temperature of over 100 and was on antibiotics. Good memory.

mentions the antibiotics

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Vysotsky is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #14
Bubby
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirao666 View Post
They are both easy fights for Wlad, I doubt Steward is worried about either of them.
When the Klitschkos start fighting more and more Eastern Europeans they'll have a harder time. Not that they wont win, it just wont be as easy.
Bubby is offline  Top
Old 02-14-2012, 08:02 PM   #15
Fitzgerald90
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 625

they fought in 2008 i think they should rematch as it was close last time around it would be a good stepping stone before he fight one of the brothers for a world title.
Fitzgerald90 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum