Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-12-2012, 02:03 AM   #1561
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Ike Quartey TKO4 Jung Oh Park.

I can't recall ever seeing this...Ike puts on a solid display against a resilient and gutsy but ultimately inept Korean opponent.

Good stoppage because Park looked like he would have hung around for a few more rounds soaking up unnecessary punishment...He was already bruised and busted up at the end of the first round and by the end of the 4th was looking very worse for wear.

Surprising this was even sanctioned to be honest, seeing it was in New Joyzee and on HBO...Park had 0 defense and was coming off a loss at home.

Either way Ike looked very sharp...that jab had some snap.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2012, 05:18 AM   #1562
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
I haven't come across them Flea.To be honest i need to put a good few days aside to really sort stuff out.
No probs mush, I get the feeling your like Mr. Trebus but with boxing
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 02-12-2012, 01:32 PM   #1563
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166

Emille Griffith vs Doyle Baird

EG- 1, 2, 3, 6
DB- 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10

Close fight but Baird won it...IMO.....cleaner punches, higher workrate.....and the guy was a giant...very strong.....
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Old 02-14-2012, 05:06 PM   #1564
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Don Curry TKO4 Colin Jones.

It's really exciting to see them come out for the first, and Curry just puts the toe of his boot right on Colin's. Given how excellent these two are as punchers, that's thrilling on its own, and although it's pretty one-sided it doesn't disappoint for excitement.

Jones is out of his depth from the start, and it's a fight that shows how the little things matter. Jones has good discouraging head movement, but his reactive head movement is guff and Curry just snaps his head back with hard jabs, every one of them. Jones's face starts to redden in the first. Jones also has a good jab, really good IMO, but Curry is just taking the sting out of these punches with small moves. He also just crowds Jones when he feels like it, moving all the way in, gloves up, waiting to coutner. It's a horrible strategy when it works and it speaks to Jones's bravery that he doesn't let it stop him throwing. He goes to his own left-hook, but he genuinely is outclassed, Curry actually outworks him to the body.

Part of the problem is Jones's footmovement which has always been less than Astaire-like. At one point Curry actually runs around him and lands a massive right-hand to the body. Jones drops his hands and steps back and tries to shake it off and you can see he is at a loss, like "what just happened?" He just can't move his feet fast enough.

He tries to solve the jabbing problem by staying busy and holding his hands in a high guard but Curry just works around and through it, with great punch variety. At one point he splits the guard with an uppercut, he's stood in the right spot to do it, and what do you do if you are Jones? Curry is already standing where you want him and if you run you lose, but if he stays he gets beaten up. Horrible situation really.

Curry is as fluid as i've seen him when he punches but oddly disjointed in the way he marries his coutners and leads. Sometimes he's just moving forwards, gloves up, elbows tucked in, waiting for opportunities to counter, he looks like a spoiler for forty seconds then throws a double one-two landing all four blows. Strange, excellent performance from him, brave and perfect tactically.

The cut that stopts Jones is a horrible one. It's across the bridge of the nose, so you think he's ok, but the doctor, who the refere has called to ringside opens it up a bit and you can practically see what Jones is thinking through the gap. Referee waves it off, Birmingham crows spoils what has been an incredible atmposphere by throwing bottles at a champion in his pomp.
McGrain is online now  Top
Old 02-14-2012, 05:06 PM   #1565
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

I don't mean for these posts to go on and on they just do
Old 02-14-2012, 05:24 PM   #1566
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

I like reading them McGrain.

I been watching a few fights lately.

Duran vs Suzuki and Lewis Morrison, notably. Nothing really much to say about them though. Except Duran was great against Guts.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 02-14-2012, 05:26 PM   #1567
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

Emile Griffith vs Joey Archer II

EG- 1, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
JA- 2, 5, 10
Old 02-14-2012, 05:29 PM   #1568
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Thats a good victory for Griffith IMO. Howd you score the first one Vic?

The interesting thing is you have Griffith the career Welterweight, WALKING THROUGH a career Middleweight, interesting stuff, and adds to the victory slightly IMO.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:41 PM   #1569
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Lloyd Honeyghan TKO6 RW Smith.

This is a lovely fight, Smith coming on in about 8 hours notice to fight in the main event instead of the undercard when the original opponent is pulled 7 pounds over. He isn't anything like in that kind of level and when Lloyd comes out and tries to feint him all to hell with his head Smith just kind of stands there looking at him You can see Lloyd maybe thinking "i bet i look a prize wanker."

Smith can't get his offence going for ages, and Lloyd just has his way with him, but he's interested in moving and jabbing so not much is happening except the kid is getting jabbed but in round 5 a fight breaks out. Honeyghan decides to put Smith away and chalks off about 20 punches, all old fashioned short-arm work, very square, neither really uppercuts or hooks just loads of them lots landing and suddenly Smith just springs into him, two cracking punches, one with each hand, both upstairs and Lloyd has to shut it down! Crowd going crazy applauding the kid, he's got a lot of heart and a great jaw.

He does land a couple of punches prior to that, but nothing really serious. The sixth is a great round. Smith lands a prize left hook, a real Frazier special coming out of a crouch and just nails Lloyd who tries to go on the offence big-time once more, but again, the kid is right there with him, good strategy just hitting anything that's infront of him, in this case the body, and again Lloyd has to back up.

In the same round though, he gets his with some real sickners. You can see it coming, Lloyd just stops missing, comes in close where his man can't wing at him, but where he can get these short little uppercust and dunting hooks in. Kid starts to crack at the end of the round, and in the corner his old man pulls him, ostensibly with a busted right hand.

They are all hugs and kisses at the bell and it's just a nice atmosphere.

Boxrec says Smith kicked the shit out of Billy Edwards in his next fight before losing three of four and retiring.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:41 PM   #1570
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
I like reading them McGrain.
Cheers lad. Just as well really i can't stop
Old 02-14-2012, 05:43 PM   #1571
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Will read that article tommorow, forgot today like,but I will read it like
Old 02-14-2012, 05:50 PM   #1572
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
Thats a good victory for Griffith IMO. Howd you score the first one Vic?

The interesting thing is you have Griffith the career Welterweight, WALKING THROUGH a career Middleweight, interesting stuff, and adds to the victory slightly IMO.
I didnīt watch the first fight.....would love to see....

And yes......in that fight against Doyle Baird you can see how small he was in comparison with Baird, a big MW....and still he was doing fine, without suffer significant damage in the close range....
Old 02-14-2012, 05:51 PM   #1573
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Willneed to watch the Baird fight, not seen it. Pretty much got everything on Griffith
Old 02-14-2012, 06:42 PM   #1574
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Sot Chitalada TKO5 Charlie Magri

Charlie got pulled between rounds with a cut, but Sot was gonna get him I think. He just looked physically out-matched again. He did very very well in the first two rounds both of which I think he won, landing big punches, but in the second he took some counter-right hands that were bang on the money and he just lost his bounce. Chitalada moved into the next gear in the very next round and picked up three and four with hard hard punching and a decent jab. Cracking fight while it lasted. Shame Magri couldn't cram down a division, with his style any sort of physical advantage in the opponent meant he was going to have this kind of trouble, probably would do better today.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:20 PM   #1575
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic-JofreBRASIL View Post
Emile Griffith vs Joey Archer II

EG- 1, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
JA- 2, 5, 10
Man, that's a wide, wide card....

I believe I had Emile by a point....

Sure enough I favour Archer as a fighter, but I don't count myself THAT biased.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum