Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-08-2008, 05:13 PM   #76
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Roy Jones - Who Would You Choose...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega Lamps
You're not helping yourself here. Louis has one of the fastest ever hands at heavyweight (its not an opinion, its a fact so accept it) and was larger than Jones.
You just seem to be one of those fans that are upset to see Jones not be the best at something.
Louis's handspeed is outdone by other HW's like Ali, Patterson, and Tyson easily. He is larger than Jones yes, but FAR slower. You are the only person in the world who thinks Louis was faster P4P than Jones. That is INSANE, you are absolutely delusional(possibly truly demented or retarded) if you believe that.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2008, 05:38 PM   #77
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheWave
Why not Gerald McClellan? He beat Roy in the amateurs... I can see him winning.
Because just like in the AMS GMAN was a 3round fighter
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2008, 05:46 PM   #78
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzle
I couldn't disagree anymore.

Joe Calzaghe is not as fast but much, much, more skilled than Jones Jnr, the subtelties of his style are lost on fans who don't know an awful lot about boxing or haven't done any themselves, incidentally the same people who thought Kessler would beat him.

Joe has the better chin, and the much better fighters mentality, he certainly wouldn't let Jones "neutralize" the fight the way he did against Hopkins, his offense is comparable to a hornets nest and he will be more than happy shaking off shots trying to come inside.
MORE SKILLED THAN RJJ??? Calazage doesnt even punch straight, he has a horrible defense with no head movement and regularly gets tagged by straight rights.

Calazages strengths are not skill based they are speed and stamina based. Calazage has excellent footwork in defense and attack, great movement.

Take away Calazages Speed and Stamina and watch him get KO'd fast just like RJJ did

BTW Calazage himself admitted he wouldn't beat a prime RJJ
Old 02-08-2008, 05:51 PM   #79
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher
MORE SKILLED THAN RJJ??? Calazage doesnt even punch straight, he has a horrible defense with no head movement and regularly gets tagged by straight rights.

Calazages strengths are not skill based they are speed and stamina based. Calazage has excellent footwork in defense and attack, great movement.

Take away Calazages Speed and Stamina and watch him get KO'd fast just like RJJ did

BTW Calazage himself admitted he wouldn't beat a prime RJJ
That's one of the easiest matchups style-wise to analyze, it makes me laugh when Sizzle talks about his analytical success but chooses Calzaghe over Jones prime for prime.

Calzaghe's strengths are his speed of hand and foot, and his workrate. His weaknesses are his defense and lack of refined technique wheh he is lured into a brawl, which is a definite.

Jones strengths are his speed of hand and foot(both better than Joe's), his elusiveness, and his accuracy and counter-punching ability. Against someone with a high workrate but who is so open, Roy would have a field day with straight punches, especially the straight right. He's not gonna have success using his speed against someone faster, and he's not gonna have success with his workrate when he's constantly being stopped in his tracks(and hurt at times) with big punches.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2008, 05:57 PM   #80
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

As for the question Ezzard Charles would be the strongest candidate.

Archie Moore has 1% chance at best and probably gets KO'd, its funny how people cite RJJs chin past his prime but forget about Moores many KO losses

Conn is excellent and would make it close but wouldn't have enough here

Calazage comes forward and gets picked apart and KO'd. He'd also get beaten to the punch and not have the firepower to worry Jones

Monzon - his jab may bother Jones, but Jones angles, footwork, speed and power would outdo monzon who would be easy to time due to his predictability

The best way to beat Jones Jr imo is to be a very fast long/reaching lead hand jab as Jones neglects the jab and this is a weakness in his style. The fighter would also have to be excellent inside and be strong. Nunn may have the potential to outbox RJJ for some time because of this although he would most likely be KO'd or simple get picked apart by counters at some stage
Old 02-08-2008, 06:02 PM   #81
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
That's one of the easiest matchups style-wise to analyze, it makes me laugh when Sizzle talks about his analytical success but chooses Calzaghe over Jones prime for prime.

Calzaghe's strengths are his speed of hand and foot, and his workrate. His weaknesses are his defense and lack of refined technique wheh he is lured into a brawl, which is a definite.

Jones strengths are his speed of hand and foot(both better than Joe's), his elusiveness, and his accuracy and counter-punching ability. Against someone with a high workrate but who is so open, Roy would have a field day with straight punches, especially the straight right. He's not gonna have success using his speed against someone faster, and he's not gonna have success with his workrate when he's constantly being stopped in his tracks(and hurt at times) with big punches.
I watched part of a Calazage fight against the MW Bika and Bika landed the far more meaningful punches timing his right on Joe time and again. Joe was suckered by it and I was left with the feeling Bika could have won but I was talking to my girl and didnt watch it all so I wont call it a robbery and I've only seen 1 person call it a bad decision.

Calazages workrate would give RJJ problems if it becomes close but RJJ should counter Calazage all night and joe has even admitted this in interview
Old 02-08-2008, 06:04 PM   #82
joekirkbycobra
King Of The Ring
ESB Addict

no 1 not when jones was in his prime
joekirkbycobra is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum