Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 02-08-2008, 12:34 PM   #91
dwilson

vCash:
Default Re: Khan calling Hatton out for next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MON
I agree.

Which is why I'd generally call the younger guys 'prospects'. Khan has 5 years on Gamboa, 5 years to achieve more, 5 years more to improve his skills.

And I take issue with a 26 year old being called a better prospect than a 21 year old....if two guys are of similar talent, which is up for debate, then the 26 year old should be quite far ahead of the 21 year old.
You just countered your own argument.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2008, 12:36 PM   #92
rooq
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MON
I agree.

Which is why I'd generally call the younger guys 'prospects'. Khan has 5 years on Gamboa, 5 years to achieve more, 5 years more to improve his skills.

And I take issue with a 26 year old being called a better prospect than a 21 year old....if two guys are of similar talent, which is up for debate, then the 26 year old should be quite far ahead of the 21 year old.
the 26 year old is far ahead of the 21 year old. khan may win a "world title" of some description at a younger age, but i'm confident that gamboa will achieve much more in his career, even if it is 5 years less than khan's career. that is why i consider gamboa a better prospect.
rooq is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2008, 12:48 PM   #93
elle
Journeywoman
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MON
I agree.

Regardless of age to me Gamboa is still a better prospect after 8 fights compared to Khan after 16 fights and after less than 12 months as a pro as opposed to Khan's two and a half years in the pro game.
elle is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2008, 01:42 PM   #94
kurt2006
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilson
After the Olympics he was a huge prospect but turned out to be a nob. I suppose you do not rate Povetkin and Solis? And will down play Frankie Gavin due to his late pro turn when it happens. The cuban defectors are a great influx and no matter what age are very good prospects.

You could even say Skelton was a good prospect because he proved he was the best British fighter and got a world title shot even though he did not start pro untill his thirties.
Povetkin did not look in good shape a few weeks ago. A bit of a fatty if you ask me. Solis is also doing the same and needs some nutritonal advice.
kurt2006 is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2008, 03:11 PM   #95
kerrminator
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Khan will be lucky if he's ever half as good a boxer as Gamboa but in all honesty I severly doubt he ever will be.

As far as British prospects go look no further than young Thomas Costello. (Check BBN for details) This kid has more talent in his big toe than Khan will ever have and I hope my words are marked coz I'll enjoy reminding the Khan nuthuggers about this thread in the future
kerrminator is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2008, 03:55 PM   #96
Geoffers
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 2606

There are Khan Nuthuggers in existence (great term - I haven't heard it before ) and there are also Khan haters.

In my opinion, both are a bit wrong and both are a bit right. Amir Khan may or not be the BEST prospect around, but he's definitely a good prospect, definitely a talent and at the moment he's definitely doing his time in the gym.

If you believe what you read in the press then apparently he's a bit of a ****. In my experience being a **** is part of the job spec of being 20! And a bit of disrespectful trash-taking has been part of the boxing game for years, so I take all that Thaxton argy-bargy with a pinch of salt. I still think he's a bit of a ****, though.

But I can make the distinction between the ****, they hype and the boxer. As a boxer, he looks to be a bit chinny. What's he supposed to do, hang up the gloves and curse the gods that his talent isn't 100% complete? Maybe instead he could learn his trade, improve in each fight and make the best of what he's got. Oh look, that's what he's doing. Quelle surprise!

He turns up ready to fight, gives the punters their money's worth and satisfies both his fans and the casual viewer, which has to be good for the sport (at least better than the Williams/Harrison/Skelton/Sprott circlejerk from a couple of years ago) Let's give him credit for that, if nothing else.

To summarise... Amir Khan - imperfect person, a bit spoiled, not a perfect boxer but a very promising talent.
Geoffers is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2008, 08:42 PM   #97
stake501
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffers
There are Khan Nuthuggers in existence (great term - I haven't heard it before ) and there are also Khan haters.

In my opinion, both are a bit wrong and both are a bit right. Amir Khan may or not be the BEST prospect around, but he's definitely a good prospect, definitely a talent and at the moment he's definitely doing his time in the gym.

If you believe what you read in the press then apparently he's a bit of a ****. In my experience being a **** is part of the job spec of being 20! And a bit of disrespectful trash-taking has been part of the boxing game for years, so I take all that Thaxton argy-bargy with a pinch of salt. I still think he's a bit of a ****, though.

But I can make the distinction between the ****, they hype and the boxer. As a boxer, he looks to be a bit chinny. What's he supposed to do, hang up the gloves and curse the gods that his talent isn't 100% complete? Maybe instead he could learn his trade, improve in each fight and make the best of what he's got. Oh look, that's what he's doing. Quelle surprise!

He turns up ready to fight, gives the punters their money's worth and satisfies both his fans and the casual viewer, which has to be good for the sport (at least better than the Williams/Harrison/Skelton/Sprott circlejerk from a couple of years ago) Let's give him credit for that, if nothing else.

To summarise... Amir Khan - imperfect person, a bit spoiled, not a perfect boxer but a very promising talent.

100% agree witht the above

Gamboa is on a different level though guys, but anyone who gave one of the atg boxers in Kindelan so many problems (esp at 17) has to have loads of talent.
stake501 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum