Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 09-02-2011, 12:46 AM   #61
newboxing

vCash: 500
Default Re: Competing in amateur boxing

how bout posting a link that actually works?
newboxing is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2011, 08:40 PM   #62
Kolya
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by newboxing View Post
can you add the existing page as the link you added isnt available ( it is 8/29/11) so maybe it just ran out but if you could post a recent page it would be very grateful, im new to this, and am very interested as i dont not know how the army is going, and i need a fall back plan (sry) was this or college.. so hear i am if you could inform me it would be greatful if not its ok i can find out for myself.

You do realize you don't get paid in amateur boxing, right? Go to college, if you're this new to boxing and are old enough to be joining the Army you're not going to make money in boxing as anything other than a tomato can; and going off your spelling you probably shouldn't kill many more brain cells.
Kolya is offline  Top
Old 09-07-2011, 12:28 AM   #63
allenko1
Contender
ESB Senior Member

allenko1 is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2012, 02:52 PM   #64
Tar Baby
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 430

Which headguards are allowed in the UK? I really hate the adidas ones.
Tar Baby is offline  Top
Old 02-18-2012, 10:05 PM   #65
PNoyFightFanUSN
Larry Don't Give a ****
ESB Addict

I started boxing at 23 but haven't taken an amateur fight yet since my training has been so broken up. If you have you're a novice but are over the age of 18, do they generally match you against other beginners or are you pretty much thrown in the open ocean?
PNoyFightFanUSN is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2012, 03:09 AM   #66
Tar Baby
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNoyFightFanUSN View Post
I started boxing at 23 but haven't taken an amateur fight yet since my training has been so broken up. If you have you're a novice but are over the age of 18, do they generally match you against other beginners or are you pretty much thrown in the open ocean?
You are matched against other beginners.(If you have a half decent coach)
I had my 1st against another guy who was having his 1st
Tar Baby is offline  Top
Old 04-25-2012, 03:34 PM   #67
hungover
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
You do realize you don't get paid in amateur boxing, right? Go to college, if you're this new to boxing and are old enough to be joining the Army you're not going to make money in boxing as anything other than a tomato can; and going off your spelling you probably shouldn't kill many more brain cells.
You can enlist in the Army at 17. You don't think anyone can become more than a tomato can if they start boxing older than 17...? Not true.
hungover is offline  Top
Old 05-21-2012, 08:45 PM   #68
marcianop4p

Besides the golden gloves tournament are there any other prestigious tournaments(not counting olympic qualifiers and olympics)? thank you
marcianop4p is offline  Top
Old 07-06-2012, 12:27 PM   #69
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp_Immortal View Post
I have a question.

If your over 35 I heard you have to fight in something called "the masters division", where you can only fight against others in that same division and extra padding and extra large gloves are often required.

Is there any what to get around that and just fight regular amateur fights, like exebitions maybe?
I guess it depends where you're from. I live in Southern Ontario, Canada. We have 2 boxing associations that I know of and their rules may vary slightly tho i'm not certain.

Personally, i'm 37 and have competed against guys ranging from 21-28. We have a masters division, but the boxing world here is small, and I have yet to find an opponent in my age & weight category (age 35+ and 139 lb). I know of one other guy from another club who is 38 and also fights in the 19+ division.
Speechless is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #70
Kolya
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcianop4p View Post
Besides the golden gloves tournament are there any other prestigious tournaments(not counting olympic qualifiers and olympics)? thank you

USAs, PAL, Armed Forces (obviously limited to servicemembers), the Ringside tournament isn't a ranking tournament but is really popular.
Kolya is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2012, 08:07 PM   #71
dee-z-r
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I was wondering if someone could explain the University Boxing in Britain, my uni has a boxing club & I know others have and there is a tournament for all the unis BUC. I was wondering if this is considered actual amateur boxing or just seen as exhibition ala white-collar boxing and that. Ive been told it is but im not sure. Thanks
dee-z-r is offline  Top
Old 03-31-2013, 12:43 PM   #72
det
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Started boxing at 31 (almost a yr ago) hoping to have my first contest in october this year, i'll be 32. Question is il be competing in the amateurs, will i be matched with another beginner/novice? Also i hopefully want to keep competing, is white collar stuff my only option after 34 yrs of age? Im based in the u.k?

Thanks.
det is offline  Top
Old 04-12-2013, 12:04 PM   #73
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by det View Post
Started boxing at 31 (almost a yr ago) hoping to have my first contest in october this year, i'll be 32. Question is il be competing in the amateurs, will i be matched with another beginner/novice? Also i hopefully want to keep competing, is white collar stuff my only option after 34 yrs of age? Im based in the u.k?

Thanks.
Absolutely, you should be matched against another novice. I don't know how hard & steadfast that rule is, but it's a standard rule of thumb.
After 34, I guess someone from the UK can answer that. I'm from Ontario, Canada and we are a little more lenient, and have 34+ competing in the regular amateurs.

Good luck in your first fight - let us know how it goes.
Speechless is offline  Top
Old 04-12-2013, 05:57 PM   #74
det
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Nice1. Think we've got a masters division in the u.k,but dont think its very popular,unless some one can tell me different. Hopefully be having my first fight in october i'll post it up here for some feedback.
det is offline  Top
Old 04-15-2013, 04:38 PM   #75
Sheriff
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan_bod View Post
I don't think you need a trainer. At the last GG I was in at least two of the fighters weren't attached to any gym and trainers/coaches were assigned to them to be in their corner.
What country is this in? I have a friend who's a qualified trainer I normally compete out of a gym, but i'm just wondering if this is a possibility for me
Sheriff is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing