Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 02-09-2012, 04:01 AM   #16
eminentair
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Scottish fighter Johnathon Slowey to get world class sparring in Thailand

been to Thailand to train a few times. Gyms out there have a ton a young talent to spar with. Great location to at for anyone in the lower divisions. I remember Katsidis choosing to base himself out of Thailand for that very reason.
eminentair is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2012, 09:11 AM   #17
Top Dog
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Scottish fighter Johnathon Slowey to get world class sparring in Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by light-welter View Post
Heard a lot about Ricky Wright but not so much over the last couple years, any idea why it didn't work for him with the GB squad?
I think he got fed up with the AMs. Only had 4 pro I think, but he is a great wee fighter, just back to training, when he is fit he will be a handful for anyone on these shores, Frampton and Quigg included. For my money, when he has had a few more fights he will beat both, one of the best prospects we have.
Top Dog is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2012, 09:13 AM   #18
Top Dog
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eminentair View Post
been to Thailand to train a few times. Gyms out there have a ton a young talent to spar with. Great location to at for anyone in the lower divisions. I remember Katsidis choosing to base himself out of Thailand for that very reason.
Yeah think Kat based himself there for a lot of his fights, although turned his back on it now I believe. The guys over there have nothing to do but train all day, so are mega fit and keen, so always a plus!
Top Dog is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2012, 10:36 AM   #19
BoxingAnalyst
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Can anybody tell me anything about Slowey? Is he with Frank? Seems to be feather fisted judging by his record? Good to see he's having his 8th fight as a pro in his first year.
BoxingAnalyst is offline  Top
Old 02-14-2012, 11:10 AM   #20
alba
Guess who?
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxingAnalyst View Post
Can anybody tell me anything about Slowey? Is he with Frank? Seems to be feather fisted judging by his record? Good to see he's having his 8th fight as a pro in his first year.
hs trained by paul weir and managed by Alex Morrison

here is video of him sparring

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5Ojfn0dFkQ&sns=fb[/ame]
alba is offline  Top
Old 02-14-2012, 11:17 AM   #21
BoxingAnalyst
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alba View Post
hs trained by paul weir and managed by Alex Morrison

here is video of him sparring

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Impressive IMO. Completely outboxed the Thai in spells. Style is similar to Frankie Gavin. What weight is Slowey?
Old 02-14-2012, 11:33 AM   #22
alba
Guess who?
East Side Guru

Quote:
Impressive IMO. Completely outboxed the Thai in spells. Style is similar to Frankie Gavin. What weight is Slowey?
Bantam/Super bantam mate ...

here is another video of him on the pads,im not a huge fan of seeing folk on the pads but he does look decent in this one !

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkqJq7Lu3t4&list=UU440WZDEQFW3puPHs9NAyuQ&index=6&feature=plcp[/ame]
alba is offline  Top
Old 02-14-2012, 11:38 AM   #23
CrocodileDundee
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Default Re: Johnathon Slowey to get world class sparring in Thailand -Video now added!!!!!!

Slowey's a great talent but I worry about his lack of power when he starts to operate at a higher level. Will be interesting to see how he does if he eventually gets put in with a Buckland or Walsh but that's still a long way off.
CrocodileDundee is offline  Top
Old 02-14-2012, 11:42 AM   #24
BoxingAnalyst
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alba View Post
Bantam/Super bantam mate ...

here is another video of him on the pads,im not a huge fan of seeing folk on the pads but he does look decent in this one !

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Any idea when he's next fighting. Looks like he could do with putting some muscle on, even though it's not hugely relative to some fighters.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:03 PM   #25
alba
Guess who?
East Side Guru

Quote:
Any idea when he's next fighting. Looks like he could do with putting some muscle on, even though it's not hugely relative to some fighters.
no mate not yet , im sure it wont be too far off .the burns undercard is always a possibilityn i suppose
alba is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #26
alba
Guess who?
East Side Guru

Default Re: Johnathon Slowey to get world class sparring in Thailand -Video now added!!!!!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f9DNrdmQPU&sns=fb[/ame]

Here he is sparring Poonsawat
alba is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2012, 07:03 PM   #27
Top Dog
Belt holder
ESB Addict

You know who has the scottish title at his weight? Alex Morrison should press him into the match, Badger Hughes or similar would be good opponent, good match up. A few scottish lads would be a great test for him, including Rocky Wright, arguably the best at the weight up here, only in my opinion of course
Top Dog is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2012, 07:07 PM   #28
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Looked decent enough, timid to let shots really go but did ok. Good experience for young lad.
SkillspayBills is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2012, 02:55 AM   #29
alba
Guess who?
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Dog View Post
You know who has the scottish title at his weight? Alex Morrison should press him into the match, Badger Hughes or similar would be good opponent, good match up. A few scottish lads would be a great test for him, including Rocky Wright, arguably the best at the weight up here, only in my opinion of course
Featherweight it is Kris hughes, dont think the Super Bantamweight one is taken by anyone ,the one name that comes to m ind is Gavin Reid could be a good opponent for him
alba is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2012, 07:31 AM   #30
davidmcallister
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Slowey is a good kid that fought all over the world as an amateur, I have been away at tournaments with him. He is very talented and was able to mix it with good boys at international level. Good luck to him
davidmcallister is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum