Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 12-21-2007, 04:34 AM   #46
sean
pale peice of pig`s ear
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: boxers pay

not sure if it has already been said but mark hughes made the point the other day and i agree with him.

footballers are now getting slagged off and shown disrespect way more because of the money they are on making working class fans turn on them the second they do not show passion and pride on the field.

when you see footballers saying they are not going to sign for a measly £100 k a week and want £120k or they are leaving why should fans be loyal to them.

i was of this opinion with henry in his last 2 seasons.

getting paid huge money, yet it was all scowls/petulance and in some games he never tried at all and at the end of the season when the world cup was held for the last 5 games we could have put a mannequin up front and they would have tackled harder.

berbatov is doing that now at spurs.

seen it a few times in boxing as well to be fair when boxers just turn up to take there paycheck and go home.

benn v collins prime example.
sean is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2007, 04:38 AM   #47
SevenSamurai
3 year ESB vet.
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by srb31079
The thing is pal there are at least 20-30 premiership players that are not worthy of a place in a league two team.
Name them.

Thats 20 players.

On topic, football is like any other open captialist market. Football works to the law of supply and demand, as the market will only be able to pay what the product is worth. The footballers are worth what they are paid, because that is what the market wants to pay for them.

I know it is obscene, that some of these players are gutless and lazy little poofta's but that is just the luck of the draw. There will always be some people in every profession who reach a high level who do not deserve to be there.

Here is one player for your list:

Kieren Dyer.
SevenSamurai is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2007, 11:27 AM   #48
StWerburghs
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1673

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
I agree with you, but if you compare the earnings of top premiership players with top calibr fighters i.e. Mayweather, Hatton, De La Hoya etc, I reckon the boxers earn more money.

For example, Hatton received 10m against Floyd. Please name me a footballer who receives a similar amount in a year's earnings from their profession, forgetting everything else?

The earnings Tyson made from boxing makes footballers look like paupers in financial terms. Too bad Mike is not able to savour the fruits of his labour now.

in boxing only a very few can earn these big amounts. In the permiership the wealth is spread abit more evenly. Most pro boxers really struggle to pay the bills, whereas even lower league players get a weekly income. There is far more money in football in the UK than in boxing here, because its just far too popular, and i cant see that changeing any time soon.
StWerburghs is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2007, 11:52 AM   #49
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

I just got a letter from the board and to reinstate my licence on top of the £540 its already cost for my brain scan and medical its going to cost me an additional £240.... Including a £100 overseas fee?? Because my last contet was in Ireland and a £50 to reinstate an expired licence- ****ing ridiculous.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2007, 12:00 PM   #50
Bigcat
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: The Valley of the shadow of death . Remember a desperate man is a dangerous man !!
vCash: 300

Yes i can see the whole argument here.. Footballers are like you and i.. they just go out onto a field every week and get 50k for doing it.. what they do that we don't is support a multi million pound industry, so if you want thatkind of cash you have to get on boardthat ship too..

If we had say a massive stadia that gave us a full card of fights every day of the week by different promoters and it became so popular that it brought in say millions a week from its popularity. then we would have regular house fighters getting similar pay to what we do footballers.. In effect , Popularity plus a venue and pulling power.. = A massive industry where the boxers would become the meat and potatoes of the Business.. Allowing thatthe promoters just received a portion of the fee and fighters exactly whatthey deserve .. It would make boxing more like Football.. People in numbers can bring massive revinue.. Football is like a religion and if boxing were similar then we would see fighters enjoying good money for putting thier lives on the line.
Bigcat is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2007, 12:07 PM   #51
Smazz20
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcat
Yes i can see the whole argument here.. Footballers are like you and i.. they just go out onto a field every week and get 50k for doing it.. what they do that we don't is support a multi million pound industry, so if you want thatkind of cash you have to get on boardthat ship too..

If we had say a massive stadia that gave us a full card of fights every day of the week by different promoters and it became so popular that it brought in say millions a week from its popularity. then we would have regular house fighters getting similar pay to what we do footballers.. In effect , Popularity plus a venue and pulling power.. = A massive industry where the boxers would become the meat and potatoes of the Business.. Allowing thatthe promoters just received a portion of the fee and fighters exactly whatthey deserve .. It would make boxing more like Football.. People in numbers can bring massive revinue.. Football is like a religion and if boxing were similar then we would see fighters enjoying good money for putting thier lives on the line.

agreed
Smazz20 is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2008, 01:13 PM   #52
andylee
Andy Lee and Cotto fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by faisal
why does football in england get so much attention? the england football team are some of the biggest scum in the sport, they are payed millions of pounds yet they continue to dissapoint against mediocre teams.
offtopic, but you are referring to the national team of england; the EPL is the highest rated league in the world (along side spain's and italy's)
and is BY FAR the most exciting; in large part due to foreigners in the squads.

as for the topic in question.... SUPPLY AND DEMAND!!!!! BOXING MUST DO BETTER TO MARKET THEIR GREAT PRODUCT!!! VIVA CAPITALISM!!!
andylee is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2008, 04:25 PM   #53
kerrminator
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by srb31079
I've just read that Carl Johanneson will earn a career best 30k for his upcoming fight against Kevin Mitchell. First off I can't wait for the fight, a great start to the year. But him earning 30k pissed me off.

Why? Footballers salaries. Now I know they have overheads like everyone else but it has been well documented that Liverpool's John Arne Riise earns 55k after tax etc. I'm using him because his payslip got nicked and it's proof that footballers earn too much money. So on the week average he will earn in 4 days what takes Johanneson three to four months earn.

Now I know this is a rant but I'm pissed off. I'm a football fan like a lot of you but the money they earn is astronomical and for what. Half of them are meant to set an example to kids an don't. There seems to be very little discipline, they seem to think they're above the law and they get worshipped like gods.

Yes, boxing has it's share of bad people but overall I think it's a more honest sport where discipline is taught at an early age and you know that when you go in that ring you're fighting for your livelihood and this might be your last chance. Footballers can have a bad week and not take opponents seriously and still come out of it smelling of roses.

It's very easy these days to be an average footballer and earn well and buy the latest Cadillac.
An average boxer is getting in the ring to get beaten to put food on the table and pay the bills for a few months.

Rant over

Adios

LOL thats just life mate. Im a firefighter and I risk my life more often than any boxer and get paid peanuts in comparison but I still love my work and im sure Carl loves his too.

Spare a thought for Cuban boxers who do it for free
kerrminator is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2008, 05:04 PM   #54
kurt2006
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrminator
LOL thats just life mate. Im a firefighter and I risk my life more often than any boxer and get paid peanuts in comparison but I still love my work and im sure Carl loves his too.

Spare a thought for Cuban boxers who do it for free
Most amateurs are unpaid (although in some countries they do get sponsored by the state and other financial help). The Cuban pro's do get paid. Cant see Solis getting that fat without having money to visit Burger King etc.
kurt2006 is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2008, 06:09 PM   #55
kerrminator
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt2006
Most amateurs are unpaid (although in some countries they do get sponsored by the state and other financial help). The Cuban pro's do get paid. Cant see Solis getting that fat without having money to visit Burger King etc.
The only Cuban pro's that get paid are those who are no longer living in Cuba

Thats why the cubans are usually the top fighters in the olympics etc.....they do it for the love of the sport with absolutely no aspirations of ever making a living from it. (I know others love it too but to know that it will never make you a living shows true dedication)
kerrminator is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum