Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 02-24-2012, 04:01 PM   #766
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: The all things technical thread.

The amount of guys that got the best of Sweet Pete in sparring is amazing. That's because he was thinking and rehearsing while others were trying to win the sparring sessions. His body sparring is legendary.
slip&counter is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2012, 04:04 PM   #767
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

vCash: 500

Imagine if you did a conditioned sparring session with two guys one good in pocket and other needing work. You could develop the fighter who struggles. Take that stuff Slip showed Ward doing and allow them to work for 30 seconds/1min. Adjust body, have a chat about what they think works then back into it.
SkillspayBills is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2012, 04:10 PM   #768
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkillspayBills View Post
Imagine if you did a conditioned sparring session with two guys one good in pocket and other needing work. You could develop the fighter who struggles. Take that stuff Slip showed Ward doing and allow them to work for 30 seconds/1min. Adjust body, have a chat about what they think works then back into it.
That's the sort of stuff that should be done, Mand. Some of the things fighters and trainers do in sparring is horrible. It really is shocking. It's just get in there and fight. Not working on things.

Nazim Richardson goes to the sparring partners corner when Hopkins is sparring. And tells the sparring partners to "throw this punch at him" "do this to him" as he's constantly assessing Hopkins and seeing what shots he might be open too.

He says when sparring you've done two things. Either just taken punishment or learnt something.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:16 PM   #769
Spearmint Rhino
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I need to watch more of Whitaker. Can't really say I've ever studied him that much.

The Richardson idea is an interesting one - so you can get the sparring partner to replicate the opponent as much as you can and see how your man responds, then you know what to work on the next day.

What you could argue is that many fighters seem to stop learning once they get to ten round level.... they fight less often and train to make the weight (as we've already said numerous times) and don't become more rounded operators as they get older.

If you look at the three best fighters in the world, one is a whirlwind and the other two are supremely intelligent fighters that seem to have the opponent sussed within a round, to the point where they're using the opponent's strengths and gameplans against them.

You can count on one hand the number of genuinely smart fighters that are around at the top level these days.
Spearmint Rhino is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2012, 04:17 PM   #770
izmat
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I would have love to see footage of the Whitaker -Taylor sparring sessions
izmat is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2012, 04:23 PM   #771
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
That's the sort of stuff that should be done, Mand. Some of the things fighters and trainers do in sparring is horrible. It really is shocking. It's just get in there and fight. Not working on things.

Nazim Richardson goes to the sparring partners corner when Hopkins is sparring. And tells the sparring partners to "throw this punch at him" "do this to him" as he's constantly assessing Hopkins and seeing what shots he might be open too.

He says when sparring you've done two things. Either just taken punishment or learnt something.
Defo

I wonder what coaches session philosophy is, many won't have one.

Do they coach whole-part-whole?. Do they use Q&A or Guided Discovery?. I think the later would be dangerous in sport like this but these guys aren't using sparring properly it's can they follow instruction and out do there partner.

They need more technical sparring, a little 'stop stand still, ok when you inside you need to turn shoulder a little, use your legs/knees for leverage and put foot on inside of the guys legs. now work and i'll call time after the buzzer'.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:30 PM   #772
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

You're right, Mand. I don't think many of them have philosophies. Remember also that trainers have to be able to recognise and see the flaw to be able to correct it. I think many fighters just train themselves.

Going back to Sweet Pete.

Something simple but effective that he used to do. He would literally just walk back and forth from end one of the ring to the other end of the ring and he would get Georgie Benton to tap his gloves. What he was trying to train is how to keep the eyes open constantly which some fighters struggle to do. So he would step forwards and someone would keep throwing semi-punches on his gloves as he kept stepping forward. They would quickly tap his gloves.

What this did was develop the ability to slip punches whilst keeping the eyes open. It's difficult to keep the eyes open constantly and not flinch when punches are being thrown at you. It also gets you to keep a positive body rhythm and not break that rhythm just because you have something coming at you.

He also had a great excercise for developing his jab. I think he had an ATG jab. Top 10 all time.

Last edited by slip&counter; 02-25-2012 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:34 PM   #773
WalletInspector
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

The Cherry bomb returns next week, Slip!
WalletInspector is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2012, 05:35 PM   #774
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalletInspector View Post
The Cherry bomb returns next week, Slip!
Old 02-24-2012, 05:42 PM   #775
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by izmat View Post
I would have love to see footage of the Whitaker -Taylor sparring sessions
Would be awesome, wouldn't it. I think a lot of guys got the better of him though. But apparently he handled Taylor in sparring. They only sparred together once or twice. A young Zab use to 'put it' on Pernell in sparring. And of course the biggest one is Camacho. There's so many rumours surrounding their sparring session when Pete was still an amatuer. He also sparred Mark Breland and bigger guys. Quality work right there.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:31 PM   #776
Primadonna Kool
Champion
East Side Guru

Hopkins sparring is overrated, all this storys from narnia you hear Brother Nazim Richardson spouting. Hopkins in my opinion hardly spars with anyone that will challanged him these days.

And i am a fan of this, i think its retarded to beat up on your body in training. I think somebody like David Haye has the right idea, about sparring its short, patent and intense. All these fighters that, waste too much time on sparring are retarded.

They all end up, with injurys or in my opinion chronically fatigued bodies.
Primadonna Kool is offline  Top
Old 02-25-2012, 08:17 AM   #777
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs2kE-kjDW8&feature=related[/ame]

Pernell would do this going backwards and forwards himself for hours.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntjjffgLM9I[/ame]
Old 02-26-2012, 07:54 AM   #778
DrMo
Team GB
East Side VIP

vCash: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkillspayBills View Post
Watch the padwork, people wonder if Clev will get better well he won't under his father. I know media days your not gonna pick your man apart but it's the whole thing with Vince he's just holding pads up and letting Nathan throw loads of shots.He's not in a boxing stance himself. Pads are overly wide and just left there. I mean he's not even calling shots..
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Watching the video you can pick apart Clev and his flaws.
Watching the fight last night reminded me of this video of Vince on the pads with Clev

DrMo is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2012, 12:58 PM   #779
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMo View Post
Watching the fight last night reminded me of this video of Vince on the pads with Clev

My mate text me throughout the fight complaining about Clev's flaw's and how boring the fight was. He's a low level world champion with a poor trainer and he will be beaten as soon as he steps up. He doesn't have anything to beat world class fighters bar heart and volume and i think his lack of power makes that less effective.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:45 PM   #780
DrMo
Team GB
East Side VIP

vCash: 122

He's got ability & clearly trains hard but he doesnt fight cleverly

He's naturally tall & rangy at the weight but never seems to get full extension on his punches & spends 90% of the time at close range.
DrMo is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum