Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 10-13-2011, 02:51 PM   #226
Mr.Marlboro
has a Ph.D in Footwork

vCash: 500
Default Re: Nutrition for boxing

I eat heavily untouched foods. U know unprocessed. This limits my exposure to heavy dosed proteins and im conditioning 3 times a week. Its not to have an argument, conditioning damages the body, but by choosing the things i do for patching up am i limiting the intensity i could have in the ring?
any feedback is good feedback.
Mr.Marlboro is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2011, 04:38 AM   #227
barassi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
You don't gain weight because you eat after boxing (or before sleeping) but because your overall calorie intake is too high. It's normal to eat after hard work, the signals your body gives you are there for a reason. Not giving in to them will impair recovery.
hey RDJ great thread bro ive started taking metabolic drive low carb made by (BIOTEST) do u or any one know anything about this product?

Last edited by barassi; 10-21-2011 at 03:22 AM. Reason: no reason
barassi is offline  Top
Old 10-21-2011, 03:56 AM   #228
barassi

RDJ here is my diet what do u think
DAY1
meal 1: baked beans with scrambled eggs
meal 2: chicken breast with veg
meal 3:fruitsalad with yoghart
meal 4:rice with veg &chick or beef
meal 5rotein shake after training
drink 2 liters of water through the day
DAY2
meal 1orridge with orange juice
meal 2:bowl of veg
meal 3:fruitsalad with yoghart
meal 4asta with napolitana sauce
meal 5rotein shake after training
DAY 3
meal 1:smoothie
meal 2:scrambled eggs with baked beans
meal 3:multigrain roll with turkey cranberrie and lettuce
meal 4: beef/chick with veg
meal 5: protein shake
barassi is offline  Top
Old 11-02-2011, 10:33 AM   #229
pichuchu
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Random question but if i made a shake out of greek yogourt milk and fruits and took it with me to the gym and down it afterwards would that be ok?
pichuchu is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2011, 09:28 AM   #230
phil_pacman
neo.pacman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Ben' View Post
Sounds like the best way to stay it, nutrition wise to me. I pretty much agree with everything you just wrote.... not that I'm a qualified expert or anything but from my experience eating lots of small meals a day and not neglecting carbs or protien works best for me.
I think everyone knows that those enumerated meals are always part of a dietary rule. I am not saying I disagree, but I would just add that it also has to do with how you maintain your body and mind.
phil_pacman is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2011, 10:37 PM   #231
sheertidoth

Default Nutrition for boxing

Yea mouselook only realy uses the XY axis so assinging these as buttons/keys you cant combine X and Y on a button. Now if you have a hat or such on your stick that will do axis then it will work.
The Dpad on the nostromo can be set as axis for instance.
sheertidoth is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2012, 10:04 AM   #232
raws
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

This is a great thread, loads of great tips and ideas that I'll definitely use!

One question, I don't do a huge amount of excercise. Run 3-4 times a week, as well as other bits and pieces (some shadowboxing, little bit of weights, football etc). I will probably look to increase the amount of exercise I do, but for now I am happy doing this and want to eat right.

Do I, at this level, need to be eating 5-6 meals a day?

Currently I will have Breakfast - cereal with blueberries or scrambled egg on toast (wholegrain)

Lunch - ham/pastrami/tuna sandwich on wholegrain bread, banana

bag of crisps in afternoon (bad I know! can replace with fruit)

evening meal - always lots of veg, meats usually chicken, turkey or minced beef. with brown rice/pasta

drink lots of water throughout the day, no soft drinks.

Is this sufficent for the amount I do, or will I see significant improvements from eating less amounts more often throughout the day?

Thanks in advance.
raws is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2012, 09:05 AM   #233
Fredd
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raws View Post
This is a great thread, loads of great tips and ideas that I'll definitely use!

One question, I don't do a huge amount of excercise. Run 3-4 times a week, as well as other bits and pieces (some shadowboxing, little bit of weights, football etc). I will probably look to increase the amount of exercise I do, but for now I am happy doing this and want to eat right.

Do I, at this level, need to be eating 5-6 meals a day?

Currently I will have Breakfast - cereal with blueberries or scrambled egg on toast (wholegrain)

Lunch - ham/pastrami/tuna sandwich on wholegrain bread, banana

bag of crisps in afternoon (bad I know! can replace with fruit)

evening meal - always lots of veg, meats usually chicken, turkey or minced beef. with brown rice/pasta

drink lots of water throughout the day, no soft drinks.

Is this sufficent for the amount I do, or will I see significant improvements from eating less amounts more often throughout the day?

Thanks in advance.
Your currently eating 3 big meals a day, just change them into 6 smaller meals a day, and then your diet is the same. To be quite honest, it dosen't matter if you eat 3 big meals, or 6 small meals, its the same.
The calories and proteins, carbs, fats, etc are what is going to make a difference bro. Just my opinion.
Fredd is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2012, 09:22 AM   #234
Fredd
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Heres a good article you might like to read about meal frequency, from
leangains.com

Quote:
Each time you eat, metabolic rate increases slightly for a few hours. Paradoxically, it takes energy to break down and absorb energy. This is the Thermic Effect of Food (TEF). The amount of energy expended is directly proportional to the amount of calories and nutrients consumed in the meal.

Let's assume that we are measuring TEF during 24 hours in a diet of 2700 kcal with 40% protein, 40% carbohydrate and 20% fat. We run three different trials where the only thing we change is the the meal frequency.

A) Three meals: 900 kcal per meal.

B) Six meals: 450 kcal per meal.

C) Nine meals: 300 kcal per meal.

What we'd find is a different pattern in regards to TEF. Example "A" would yield a larger and long lasting boost in metabolic rate that would gradually taper off until the next meal came around; TEF would show a "peak and valley"-pattern. "C" would yield a very weak but consistent boost in metabolic rate; an even pattern. "B" would be somewhere in between.

However, at the end of the 24-hour period, or as long as it would take to assimilate the nutrients, there would be no difference in TEF. The total amount of energy expended by TEF would be identical in each scenario. Meal frequency does not affect total TEF. You cannot "trick" the body in to burning more or less calories by manipulating meal frequency.

Further reading: I have covered the topic of meal frequency at great length on this site before.

The most extensive review of studies on various meal frequencies and TEF was published in 1997. It looked at many different studies that compared TEF during meal frequencies ranging from 1-17 meals and concluded:

"Studies using whole-body calorimetry and doubly-labelled water to assess total 24 h energy expenditure find no difference between nibbling and gorging".

Since then, no studies have refuted this. For a summary of the above cited study, read this research review by Lyle McDonald.

Earlier this year, a new study was published on the topic. As expected, no differences were found between a lower (3 meals) and higher meal (6 meals) frequency. Read this post for my summary of the study. This study garnered some attention in the mass media and it was nice to see the meal frequency myth being debunked in The New York Times.

Origin

Seeing how conclusive and clear research is on the topic of meal frequency, you might wonder why it is that some people, quite often RDs in fact, keep repeating the myth of "stoking the metabolic fire" by eating small meals on a frequent basis. My best guess is that they've somehow misunderstood TEF. After all, they're technically right to say you keep your metabolism humming along by eating frequently. They just missed that critical part where it was explained that TEF is proportional to the calories consumed in each meal.

Another guess is that they base the advice on some epidemiological studies that found an inverse correlation between high meal frequency and body weight in the population. What that means is that researchers may look at the dietary pattern of thousands individuals and find that those who eat more frequently tend to weigh less than those who eat less frequently. It's important to point out that these studies are uncontrolled in terms of calorie intake and are done on Average Joes (i.e. normal people who do not count calories and just eat spontaneously like most people).

There's a saying that goes "correlation does not imply causation" and this warrants further explanation since it explains many other dietary myths and fallacies. Just because there's a connection between low meal frequencies and higher body weights, doesn't mean that low meal frequencies cause weight gain. Those studies likely show that people who tend to eat less frequently have:

* Dysregulated eating patterns; the personality type that skips breakfast in favor of a donut in the car on the way to work, undereat during the day, and overeat in the evening. They tend to be less concerned with health and diet than those who eat more frequently.

* Another feasible explanation for the association between low meal frequencies and higher body weight is that meal skipping is often used as a weight loss strategy. People who are overweight are more likely to be on a diet and eat fewer meals.

The connection between lower meal frequency and higher body weight in the general population, and vice versa, is connected to behavioral patterns - not metabolism.
Fredd is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2012, 05:18 PM   #235
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Do many people drink soy milk in here? Are there many nutritional benefits over light/skim dairy?
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Old 02-13-2012, 09:55 PM   #236
ecdrm15
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1220
Default Re: Post-workout snack/meal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACFR View Post
This is a fantastic thread. Many thanks to RDJ and the other experts out there with solid, sound advice and a willingness to share and answer questions.

Big help guys! Thanks

What about nutritional drinks (Boost, Ensure, ect...) or Vitamin Water?

Last edited by ecdrm15; 02-13-2012 at 10:27 PM.
ecdrm15 is offline  Top
Old 02-14-2012, 06:32 AM   #237
raws
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredd View Post
Heres a good article you might like to read about meal frequency, from
leangains.com
Nice one mate
raws is offline  Top
Old 03-01-2012, 10:30 PM   #238
cutchemist
conditioning alchemically

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejokerswild View Post
Do many people drink soy milk in here? Are there many nutritional benefits over light/skim dairy?
I would recommend Silk. Packed dense full of vitamins and mins and has me not even touching any kind of other milk. Also it mixes great with protein powder
cutchemist is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2012, 11:15 PM   #239
cutchemist
conditioning alchemically

Check it,

Breakfast: prune yogurt, (for the abundant fiber) *try to squeeze in before every meal* banana, glass of Silk (vitamin & mineral rich skim milk)

Lunch: Micro-nutrient dense salad from my school's cafeteria (black beans, granola, flax seed, almond shavings, raw mushrooms (rich in zinc), raw carrot shavings, black olives, diced green onions, *avoid any cheese and dressing* (I'm avoiding as much cholesterol as I can)

*after-noon conditioning*: 3 rounds of heavy-bag with 3 rounds of jump rope in between each other

3rd meal/recovery meal: I keep it light

I endorse these nutrients
cutchemist is offline  Top
Old 04-11-2012, 07:18 PM   #240
Primadonna Kool
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Primadonna Kool is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing