he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Max Baer v James Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra View Post
You can't be serious....

I don't thik you're serious or doubt how you can be ... you are comparing the slow, telegraphed , single handed punching of Max Baer to the blazing fast, superbly conditioned, two handed power of Mike Tyson ... can we get real ...? Perhaps you can tell me the fight where Ber fought anyone larger and stronger than him with at least equal power and chin ?

Baer was a colorful character and a big puncher against cruiserweights ... maybe even a big puncher all time but in my book he cut his bones as the much bigger, stronger and harder punching man and he would hold none of those advantages against Smith. If it is a slugfest it is a very interesting fight ...
he grant is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2012, 12:37 PM   #17
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra View Post
You can't be serious....
sadly u r
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Old 03-11-2012, 12:50 PM   #18
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodenum View Post
Smith, by his own admission, had a tendency to tighten up and be unable to pull the trigger. Except for the final result, Smith-Bruno and Tyson-Smith were very similar in composition.

Max didn't freeze up like that. He'd sometimes hold back after the Campbell tragedy, and might clown around, but he otherwise didn't have trouble letting his fists go. He was exchanging good hard jabs late with Schmeling.

I think this one could well last the distance, and Maxie would accumulate an insurmountable lead relatively early. King Levinski 2X, Heeney II, Risko, and Farr II are respectable decisions (especially Farr II over the championship distance). James didn't really produce any impressive curfew verdicts over mid career opposition of that caliber. Bey, we now know was on the slide, and in the rematch with Weaver, Hercules was way past his best. Baer-DeKuh could be likened to Smith-Ribalta. If this goes the limit, what evidence there is favors the Larruper.
Bonecrusher knocked out Mike Weaver, Tim Witherspoon and Frank Bruno. He gave Larry Holmes a terrific fight .. those are far more impressive victories than Levinski ( can we be serious) , Heeney, Risko and Farr ... I do not know who would win this one but Baer would have to out punch Smith beacuse he was not bigger, stronger or the harder two handed hitter .. maybe if highly motivated he outpoints him but he is not out slugging him, no way.
he grant is offline  Top
Old 03-11-2012, 01:18 PM   #19
greynotsoold
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

He gave Holmes a terrific fight in 1999 when Holmes was in his late 40s and still stopped Smith.
greynotsoold is offline  Top
Old 03-11-2012, 02:18 PM   #20
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
He gave Holmes a terrific fight in 1999 when Holmes was in his late 40s and still stopped Smith.
Do your homework ...
he grant is offline  Top
Old 03-11-2012, 03:18 PM   #21
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by he grant View Post
Bonecrusher knocked out Mike Weaver, Tim Witherspoon and Frank Bruno. He gave Larry Holmes a terrific fight .. those are far more impressive victories than Levinski ( can we be serious), Heeney, Risko and Farr ... I do not know who would win this one but Baer would have to out punch Smith beacuse he was not bigger, stronger or the harder two handed hitter .. maybe if highly motivated he outpoints him but he is not out slugging him, no way.
Well, as I said, I believe this one could well go the distance. I never said Levinski, Heeney, Risko and Farr were more impressive victories than Weaver I, Witherspoon II or Bruno, just that Smith never produced decision wins of this caliber.

I didn't even project that Max would outslug James, only that he'd outwork him if this went to the final bell. He was typically far more relaxed in the ring than Smith.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 03-11-2012, 03:26 PM   #22
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenfrank View Post
sadly u r
I feel vindicated now for sure
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 03-11-2012, 08:39 PM   #23
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I'm going with smith... Baer may have the better record, but at the same time, he also wasn't fighting men like Holmes, Witherspoon and Bruno with less than 17 fights.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 03-11-2012, 10:03 PM   #24
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo View Post
I'm going with smith... Baer may have the better record, but at the same time, he also wasn't fighting men like Holmes, Witherspoon and Bruno with less than 17 fights.
I could fight Witherspoon, Holmes and Bruno in my first three fights. And I guess that makes me better than both Bonecrusher and Baer in your theory then, as I am fighting all three with less than FOUR fights experience...
TBooze is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum