Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

 
  


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
fg2227
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,116
vCash: 1000
Default Hagler v Leonard Thoughts?

Just watching it the now what scores did you have and what were your opinions?
fg2227 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: In that 3 feet of stew again...
Posts: 12,448
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hagler v Leonard Thoughts?

7-5 Leonard.
slip&counter is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:58 PM   #3
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Canada!!!!
Posts: 2,215
vCash: 500
Default Re: Hagler v Leonard Thoughts?

be prepared for the shitstorm of people complaining about the thread. **** it, always a fun debate.

i had it scored 115-113 leonard, 114-114 draw, then hagler by a point. i've seen it numerous times since and scored it and my overall impression is that leonard swept the first four and eeked out a decision.

the last four rounds don't count more than the first four rounds.

winning a round clearly does not count more than edging it out slightly unless it was DOMINATING or a knockdown was scored

hagler won his rounds bigger, leonard won more rounds
Nightcrawler is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2012, 07:01 PM   #4
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,829
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hagler v Leonard Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcrawler View Post
be prepared for the shitstorm of people complaining about the thread. **** it, always a fun debate.

i had it scored 115-113 leonard, 114-114 draw, then hagler by a point. i've seen it numerous times since and scored it and my overall impression is that leonard swept the first four and eeked out a decision.

the last four rounds don't count more than the first four rounds.

winning a round clearly does not count more than edging it out slightly unless it was DOMINATING or a knockdown was scored

hagler won his rounds bigger, leonard won more rounds
Agreed.

115-113 Leonard.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:40 PM   #5
fg2227
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,116
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hagler v Leonard Thoughts?

First time ive watched it. Leonard defo won that fight no doubt. A few things struck me odd that marvin was very reluctant to go to the body very strange.

Also what the hell was marvin's corner doing in a fight that he was clearly losing they had ZERO urgency terrible corner work. And the exact oppsite in leonards.
fg2227 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:16 PM   #6
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 7,550
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hagler v Leonard Thoughts?

Hagler couldn't put 2-3-4 punches together. The momenent in the fight which sums up Hagler's performance was during the 9th round when he had Leonard pinned against the ropes. Missing the target and slow hands.
Robbi is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:19 PM   #7
Foreman Hook
☆☆☆ G$ora ☆☆☆
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Thugz Mansion
Posts: 4,123
vCash: 600
Default Re: Hagler v Leonard Thoughts?

6-6 DRAW
Foreman Hook is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:24 PM   #8
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 18,191
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hagler v Leonard Thoughts?

I scored it 114-114. Pretty good fight, great event. Both guys had seen better days.
Thread Stealer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:32 PM   #9
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 7,550
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hagler v Leonard Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreman Hook View Post
6-6 DRAW
delete
Robbi is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:32 PM   #10
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 12,310
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hagler v Leonard Thoughts?

****ing robbery.
Seamus is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:00 PM   #11
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,005
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hagler v Leonard Thoughts?

7-5 Hagler. I've sat down and thoroughly watched it 3 times now, and always end up with 7-5 Hagler. His punches were more effective, harder, and a lot of his work was over shadowed by a Leonard flashy Leonard combination, even though Hagler's punches tended to actually land and Ray's were caught on the shoulders and gloves.

I'll take Hagler's harder, overall more effective punches over Leonard's flash that wasn't landing very clean.
Bill1234 is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:03 PM   #12
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Canada!!!!
Posts: 2,215
vCash: 500
Default Re: Hagler v Leonard Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1234 View Post
7-5 Hagler. I've sat down and thoroughly watched it 3 times now, and always end up with 7-5 Hagler. His punches were more effective, harder, and a lot of his work was over shadowed by a Leonard flashy Leonard combination, even though Hagler's punches tended to actually land and Ray's were caught on the shoulders and gloves.

I'll take Hagler's harder, overall more effective punches over Leonard's flash that wasn't landing very clean.
i did to but he didn't do it often enough. I usually see the argument for hagler being that his punches were more effective, which is true.

however, he simply didn't do that effective work often enough. when he threw the punches and got the work done, he won the rounds. when he didn't, leonard won. i personally think leonard took more rounds, even if it was by shoe shining
Nightcrawler is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:29 PM   #13
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,005
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hagler v Leonard Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcrawler View Post
i did to but he didn't do it often enough. I usually see the argument for hagler being that his punches were more effective, which is true.

however, he simply didn't do that effective work often enough. when he threw the punches and got the work done, he won the rounds. when he didn't, leonard won. i personally think leonard took more rounds, even if it was by shoe shining
I think he did the work, just people's attention is naturally more attracted than say the flashy right hand-left hook Leonard threw (and didn't really land or only grazed Hagler) instead of the good body punches Marvin landed.

I just don't think enough Leonard's punches landed effectively enough to count them into the scoring in his favor.
Bill1234 is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:37 PM   #14
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Canada!!!!
Posts: 2,215
vCash: 500
Default Re: Hagler v Leonard Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1234 View Post
I think he did the work, just people's attention is naturally more attracted than say the flashy right hand-left hook Leonard threw (and didn't really land or only grazed Hagler) instead of the good body punches Marvin landed.

I just don't think enough Leonard's punches landed effectively enough to count them into the scoring in his favor.
and that's fair. criteria is subjective and individual. i scored many of the rounds for leonard simply because i didn't see hagler do enough...i'll take ineffective but landed punches over plodding any day. however, hagler did some great work in the second half and a case can be made that he swept the final 6.

i felt he dug himself too deep and i scored the first 4 for leonard, meaning hagler had to win almost every round from that point on. if you felt he did, you have an argument
Nightcrawler is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:46 PM   #15
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 7,550
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hagler v Leonard Thoughts?

Hagler defense sucked, as did his variety.
Robbi is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013