Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-11-2012, 09:39 AM   #16
greynotsoold
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Dwight Muhamad Qwai vs James Toney

I hadn't seen Qwai in years and thought maybe I had forgotten something about him...I just cannot see him beating Toney. Not at cruiser, not even at LHW, where Qwai was at his best. Toney would counter that right hand all day, pick his head up with uppercuts and rake his body.
Pretty wide, pretty easy decision for Toney at LHW, maybe, very possibly a late tko at cruiser.
greynotsoold is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2012, 12:31 PM   #17
Xplosive
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Qawi wins by a wide margin.
Xplosive is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2012, 01:29 PM   #18
Hookie
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Awesome match-up! I didn't care for Toney at first. He was a loud mouth who talked big but struggled in his big fights-

Sanderline Williams (first fight) D10, Merqi Sosa WSD12, Michael Nunn KO11 (he was clearly outboxed prior to the KO), Reggie Johnson WSD12 (Toney down and cut badly), Dave Tiberi WSD12, Mike McCallum D12 and WMD12.

I also didn't like the "Lights Out" handle... who's lights had he put out other than Nunn's? I was glad he beat Nunn, Nunn needed a good beating, but I felt that Nunn would have won a rematch.

He moved up to 168 and looked good beating trial horse Doug DeWitt (KO6) and a shadow of his former self Iran Barkley (KO9).

Look, Barkley had not made 168 Lbs. in over a year and it was only the 2nd time he had to come in under LHW in 2 1/2 years. Barkely was struggling to make LHW at this point... he couldn't make 168 anymore but he did for the Toney fight. Barkley never fought below LHW again and only fought below CW once... LHW World Title Fight vs. Henry Maske, LKOby9 and Maske wasn't a big puncher.

Toney went on to get clearly outboxed by Roy Jones Jr. at this weight.

Anyway, I really like Toney at CW and even HW I think he was a great fighter who did well vs. bigger slower guys despite their advantages in size, strength, and power.

Qawi had these strengths as well. Only two fighters ever stopped Qawi. Holyfield KO4 in their rematch... their first fight was WSD15 for Holyfield, and Foreman KO7. He lost a pretty close decision to Michael Spinks. He was just as durable and had more power than Toney. He was also busier than Toney. I'd lean toward Qawi by close decision.
Hookie is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2012, 02:00 PM   #19
Webbiano
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
I'm going Qawi in a extremely close fight. Nip and tuck. He was a dawg of all dawgs. Underrated.

I couldn't see this being a landslide victory for either. Id have Qawi winning 8-4/7-5
Webbiano is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum