Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2012, 07:39 PM   #2
Senor Pepe'
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Ray Mancini vs Vilomar Fernandez

The Vilomar Fernandez who fought Roberto Duran and Alexis Arguello 'I'
would have outboxed and out-slugged 'Boom' Boom'.

Though not regarded as a hard-hitter, Vilomar was strong and had a
good right hand lead.

I would take Vilomar on a good hard-fought decision.
Senor Pepe' is offline  Top
Old 03-14-2012, 10:26 PM   #3
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

My gosh, Vilomar couldn't help but win this one.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 03-14-2012, 11:15 PM   #4
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Prime Fernandez of the middle to late 70's was too slick for Mancini... The Fernandez who fought and lost to Arguello in the rematch on network TV in the early 80's was a shell.....

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 03-14-2012, 11:26 PM   #5
Danmann
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Mancini, all the way. Fernandez ran from Duran, till he was caught. He also outboxed Arguelo, but he was not in best shape for that one. Villomar Fernandez is a favorite of mine from way back, but as a good fighter. I won't start putting him over guys who could beat him. I saw him beat a top fighter from California on George Foreman Vs Joe Frazier rematch card, it was co-main event.

Mancini was fast too, could close in quick, and Fernandez one problem was lack of a punch. He could not hold Mancini off at all if they fought. Mancini's slugger rep has some thinking he was slow maybe ? He wasn't.
Danmann is offline  Top
Old 03-14-2012, 11:42 PM   #6
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Ray could only pull this off by immediately going to the body and staying there, a very difficult challenge with the way Vilomar moved.

In one of his early televised appearances, Boom Boom floored steel chinned Canadian veteran Al Ford in the fourth round with a body attack. Mancini then went berserk trying to finish Ford off. Unfortunately, his followup was confined exclusively to head hunting to absolutely no avail, and I was wondering if he'd punch himself out. Ray certainly demonstrated his youth and conditioning in that one, but not enough smarts to outscore a gifted operator like Fernandez (who made very, very few mistakes).

Mancini was able to shut out Ramirez by shrewdly moving in and out for his smartest win, but Jose had two left feet. The most skilled boxer Boom Boom defeated at the time the match took place was probably against a fading and nearly 30 year old Julio Valdez, who was never remotely in the same class as Fernandez on his best day.

Vilomar wouldn't likely be able to hurt Ray, but neither might he be able to miss any of his punches if he tried. This could be a major schooling of Mancini, certainly a clear UD for Fernandez in a best for best scenario.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2012, 03:50 PM   #7
ThinBlack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I think Boom Boom wins a close MD over Vilomar, he's going to keep pressing the action, and at some point will connect, and then dominate the guy.
ThinBlack is offline  Top
Old 09-14-2013, 12:52 PM   #8
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Mancini would shut Fernandez out, too much energy for Vilomar, and Vilomar couldn't hurt Ray in a million years, so he doesn't have any to keep Ray off him.
Titan1 is offline  Top
Old 09-14-2013, 03:35 PM   #9
Anubis
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan1 View Post
Mancini would shut Fernandez out, too much energy for Vilomar, and Vilomar couldn't hurt Ray in a million years, so he doesn't have any to keep Ray off him.
If Art Frias could stagger Mancini, then Fernandez was definitely capable of it.

This is a good one. The variable of how Ray would opt to fight makes it highly speculative.

Resume wise, I thought Vilomar beat Kenty over the championship distance, was robbed against Howard Davis, Jr., and did officially deck and defeat Ray Lampkin and Ray Lunney III [on his way to a career closing title shot against Escalera]. He gave peak Duran a lot of headaches, and Arguello couldn't stop him in a second attempt.

Looking in the rear view mirror, the best opponent Mancini's beat by far was Ramirez, in his 12 round shutout of Rosario's eventual first conqueror. as [HOFer Chacon was ring worn, outsized and overpowered, in Ray's final career win.] Here, the official won-loss records don't really tell the story of their relative merits. Mancini had a compelling narrative and media support, to go along with his exciting style, but he was also well matched with few risks on the way to Arguello.

Fernandez didn't have Ray's dinner plate of advantages, but developed the hard way through relative obscurity into a real nightmare for any opponents from 1975 to 1980. Always keeping himself in great shape, working out in a boxing gym even when not scheduled for a bout, lack of competitive activity was his downfall, costing him essential sharpness and stamina. He was fading after a good early start in his challenge of Kenty when a leg cramp suffered by Hilmer seemingly saved him, but the judges in Detroit's Cobo Hall rescued Kenty.

Vilomar didn't hurt a lot of opponents who he took to school, as he didn't usually plant himself as necessary to unload with leverage. But that may not be the key here. As quick as his hands were, as gifted a boxer as he was, and as easy to score on as Mancini was, Ray would be extremely prudent here to target the body from the outset and stay there. Not only was the Dominican an elusive target for headhunters [even when flatfooted], he also had a granite chin at his best [peak Arguello and Duran couldn't dent it]. El Cholo did prove at Ray Arcel's suggestion that Vilomar might be knocked out with body shots, and Mancini was capable of pulling this off.

However, Vilomar did surprise quality opponents from time to time by loading one up and turning it over, and that unexpected power could come from either side, usually early in a match. Like Pastrano, he may have opted not to routinely load up, or follow up on stunned adversaries out of choice. I think he was capable of producing greater impact than the aggressive late career version of former opponent Ed Viruet, having viewed both in that uncharacteristic posture.

Fernandez decked Lampkin in the first, dropped Lunney twice, floored Howard Davis, Jr. with a left hook in the second, and retired Monroe Brooks in two. [Only Muangsurin, Bruce Curry and peak Duran, all world champions noted for power, had ever stopped Brooks.] In a late career televised win, Fernandez effortlessly buckled an over-matched cornered opponent with a straight, quick, opening round right, but then proceeded as if it hadn't happened at all, remaining mobile and workmanlike for an easy decision win.

During Eddie V's televised three round knockout streak leading up to Rosario, he needed a lot of punches to the head and body over eight or nine rounds to bring down a retiring Goins, sacrificial lamb Derek Cuttino [in Cuttino's first scheduled ten rounder], and a winding down Ernest Bing through attrition. A large audience only saw Fernandez tear after Davis, Jr. like that, in a fight everybody I knew who watched it believed Vilomar won more decisively than Arguello I.

Yes, I think Fernandez could very definitely hurt Mancini if he aimed to do so, but that would be for defensive purposes. He would never try to blast Ray out quickly like Frias suicidally attempted to do.

Boom-Boom would either win a clear decision or body shot induced attrition stoppage if he forgets Vilomar has a head, but this would be no shutout, and Ray could indeed get wobbled a little if his aggression lapsed for a moment, as a downstairs focus would expose his head. [I can't see Ed Viruet ever hurting Mancini.] But if Ray opts to headhunt in a bid to win, he's going back to grade school. Fernandez made few mistakes in the ring.
Anubis is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum