Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-16-2012, 01:41 AM   #1
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Johnny Tapia Appreciation Thread

Freddie Roach said Tapia and Toney were the two greatest talents he ever trained. Tapia was seriously well-schooled in the ring with great physical assets: reflexes, speed, chin, recuperation, stamina... if not the greatest power. He was on the downside, with 48 fights in and a heavy drug habit before he finally lost. Where does he rank in the short-lived superbly division, or taken in a greater context of a bantam?

I seriously think the whole "La Vida Loca" has distracted the boxing fans from how fantastic this guy was.
Seamus is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2012, 01:46 AM   #2
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842
Default Re: Johnny Tapia Appreciation Thread

Possessed practically everything outside of one punch power. A very impressive fighter, indeed.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2012, 02:21 AM   #3
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP

vCash: 26664

Addie and Boxed show up first. In the old days it would've been Addie, Anarci and Boxed, but this is life. Tapia is very underrated, to me. One of my favourites. Even one of my favourites for well-past prime fighters. Unreal to watch him in the later stages against Barrera, just eating bombs like Malignaggi was tagging him. When he wanted to box, in his earlier days, he proved to be incredibly well-rounded and even interestingly tasteful, at times, the way he placed his shots, as opposed to his furious flurry moments.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2012, 03:10 AM   #4
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
Addie and Boxed show up first. In the old days it would've been Addie, Anarci and Boxed, but this is life.
Very true, brother Ox.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2012, 04:54 AM   #5
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2137

To be honest, I never saw that much of Tapia. In time, I will amend that.
He did impress the hell out of me not so much in terms of skill, but heart and will, in his fight with Barrera, where he got the shit kicked out of him but was game to the end.

He was even upbeat in the post-fight interview, where it looked like a train had run over his face. Crazy dude, who lived a crazy life.
fists of fury is online now  Top
Old 03-16-2012, 12:36 PM   #6
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166

I have my doubts on consider him an ATG.....maybe he is.....
Good body puncher, good uppercut, great chin......Like BE said, he was a good boxer when he wanted to......
I personally rate him between the best SuperFlyweights....At BW Im one of the few who scored the fights against Ayala to Ayala, two close fights but I gave it to Ayala both times.....His performance against Konadu at BW was good.....
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2012, 12:47 PM   #7
El Bujia
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Loved his left hook to the body. In response to the Konadu fight, that's probably my favourite performance of his. Really showed off his skills and boxing guile.
El Bujia is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2012, 01:40 PM   #8
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

It's funny looking back at his early fights where he was a no-nonsense, disciplined technician.
He became more of a devil may care flashy showboat more interested in just having a good time in the ring, rather than fighting the right kind of tactical bout to take advantage of his skills, but was all the more entertaining for it.

Ayala wasn't nearly as naturally talented, even at that stage in Tapia's career where he was slowing down a bit, he just wanted it more and was allowed to make things close enough to be debatable.
lora is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2012, 01:49 PM   #9
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 32200

I been appreciating Johnny since the time Prince always wants to party like it is (which, incidentally, he's been doing since before I was even born)
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Old 03-16-2012, 01:57 PM   #10
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

I also don't think it's a very controversial statement on Freddie's part to say that Johnny and James were the pupils he came across with the most raw talent, either.

Take explosive punching power out of the equation and Tapia was easily more gifted than Pacquiao, and when he wasn't going off the rails he was just as hard a worker.

And he wasn't feather fisted, either. Not by any means. Just not a gale force.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:59 PM   #11
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

BTW Seamus - every time I come in here and see one of your posts I think you're Jack (a more prolific poster from the General Forum and Lounge). Perhaps you should consider a change of avatar? Add a red war hat?
Old 03-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #12
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
Addie and Boxed show up first. In the old days it would've been Addie, Anarci and Boxed, but this is life.
Ahem? :

The old days, meaning when the otherwise first responder is on his lunch break??

Just for that, BE, I'm going to spam the bejeezus out of this thread...maybe even a quadruple po-

Oh.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:49 PM   #13
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

Been watching some Tapia. Dammed good fighter. Great even. Good body attack, gay ring demeanor, fast hands, amazing chin, took rounds and fights off sometimes, but was capable of putting together some Masterpiece Classic performances like against Romero and Konadu. Decent dig; could hurt you if he needed to. Great tattoos. A lot of guys like to compare Greb to Calzaghe and its possible that that's how he would look if film of him were ever found. But I like to think that Greb resembled an on form Tapia- arms windmilling away, bouncing in and out like a marauding helium filled pirate, taking few shots but eating those with aplomb before burying the opponent in a torrent of leather. And that's high praise to be compared to possibly the greatest fighter of all time. I just hope that the next life treats him better than this one did. He deserves it.
LittleRed is offline  Top
Old 02-28-2013, 09:52 PM   #14
victor879
Belt holder
ESB Addict

If you want some insight into Tapia, watch the documentary "Absent."

It's about the affect of fatherless homes on children, and they devote a solid 30 minutes to Tapia and his story.

RIP Johnny. Your tortured soul is at rest. Listening to him talk about his pain broke my heart.
victor879 is offline  Top
Old 02-28-2013, 10:03 PM   #15
Clinton
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I'm a fan and always felt his greatest attributes were his heart and courage, his impressive natural physical gifts notwithstanding.
Clinton is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum