Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: How would Martinez do against these guys in a series of 1 off fantasy fights?
He'd beat all of them 2 7.41%
At least 1 beats him 3 11.11%
At least 2 beat him 0 0%
At least 3 beat him 1 3.70%
At least 4 beat him 3 11.11%
At least 5 beat him 2 7.41%
At least 6 beat him 2 7.41%
At least 7 beat him 2 7.41%
At least 8-10 beat him 5 18.52%
I wouldn't favour Martinez over any of the guys you listed 7 25.93%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-18-2012, 06:47 AM   #1
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330
Default Sergio Martinez vs a selection of yesteryears MW's.

So Martinez has just racked up the 4th defence (all by stoppage and all against ranked opponents) of his MW crown.

He seems able to adapt mid fight, up his workrate when suits, counter in the pocket and potshot from range. His punching power is also very impressive.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVMf9fmZp7k[/ame]

He's quite clearly the best MW in the world today, so my question is, how would he fare against some of the filmed Mw's from yesteryear.

This is not a gauntlet he'd run, it's just a selection of 1 off fantasy fights.

How do you think he goes vs:

Les Darcy
Mickey Walker
Freddie Steele
Fred Apostoli
Tony Zale
Jake La Motta
Ray Robinson
Emile Griffith
Carlos Monzon
Marvin Hagler
Michael Nunn
Bernard Hopkins

All of these guys have a decent amount of prime footage available. The question is, how successful would Sergio be against each of them individually?
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2012, 06:58 AM   #2
thistle1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Sergio Martinez vs a selection of yesteryears MW's.

yesteryear Sergio is a Welterweight, so he does'nt fair too well against any of the proper MWs...

he could fight BHop in a classic BHop spoiler,
LaMotta fought a lot of welterweight cum middleweights and had trouble too, so on his best night Sergio could give LaMotta a good losing performance.

the rest are too big, too strong or just plain too GOOD!
thistle1 is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2012, 07:12 AM   #3
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle1 View Post
yesteryear Sergio is a Welterweight, so he does'nt fair too well against any of the proper MWs...

he could fight BHop in a classic BHop spoiler,
LaMotta fought a lot of welterweight cum middleweights and had trouble too, so on his best night Sergio could give LaMotta a good losing performance.

the rest are too big, too strong or just plain too GOOD!
What makes you think he's a WW?

With same day weigh in he'd easily be a MW. Some of the more modern ?MW's on that list weren't notorious for balooning neither.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2012, 07:19 AM   #4
thistle1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
What makes you think he's a WW?

With same day weigh in he'd easily be a MW. Some of the more modern ?MW's on that list weren't notorious for balooning neither.
Sorry guys all this time I thought Martinez was 5' 7"... propably because everyone else is miuch bigger.

Still stick by my first post.
thistle1 is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2012, 07:24 AM   #5
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
Sorry guys all this time I thought Martinez was 5' 7"... propably because everyone else is miuch bigger.

I'm fine with people thinking most of the greats of the past beat him, I was just confused by the WW comment
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2012, 07:27 AM   #6
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 3600

Quote:

Not a big miss . At least LaMotta and Hagler were midgets as well . However most of yesteryear's MWs were WWs in 2day's standards so he fits well among them .
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2012, 07:33 AM   #7
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenfrank View Post
Not a big miss . At least LaMotta and Hagler were midgets as well . However most of yesteryear's MWs were WWs in 2day's standards so he fits well among them .
How do you think he does Frank?
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2012, 07:35 AM   #8
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 3600

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
How do you think he does Frank?
Regarding a few of them I (still) don't know enough about , nor about Martinez really , so I'd rather not answer this @ d moment .
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2012, 07:58 AM   #9
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

These aren't the best H2H MWs but here goes

Les Darcy - Darcy's technique looks very dated, so I will go with Martinez

Mickey Walker - 50-50, Walker has problem with speed and movement but Martinez's low hands against Walker's pressure and power could be a problem

Freddie Steele - Martinez bigger and faster, Steele technically more solid but maybe a bit straight up, hard to pick another 50-50 for me

Fred Apostoli - Apostoli's defence and counter punching and better technique see him win a UD

Tony Zale - H2H I don't rate Zale that highly, I think Martinez's massive speed advantage sees him win here

Jake La Motta - Martinez for me. Lamotta wouldn't have a size advantage here and Martinez is quicker and better outside, hit harder and the southpaw angle may give Lamotta problems. We've seen Martinez can deal with a very very fast pace against WIlliams, so the pressure isn't wearing him down. Lamotta when he does get inside lands but Martinez overall lands more and wins an 8-4 or 7-5 type decision

Ray Robinson - Robi faster and technically better, Martinez bigger, Robi wins a decision

Emile Griffith - Martinez bigger, quicker and the lefty angles, Griffith cutie and highly skilled but in many many close fights. This would be another 1 of them, I'm giving Martinez a slight edge

Carlos Monzon - he wins a few early rounds before Monzon takes over for a comprehensive UD

Marvin Hagler - Hagler wrecks him

Michael Nunn - Nunn is quicker and bigger fighting at a faster pace, Martinez maybe technicially more solid. Nunn UD

Bernard Hopkins - first few rounds maybe close before Hopkins pulls away

So I have him winning 5 of the fights if he wins 1 of the 50-50s
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2012, 08:27 AM   #10
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post

Mickey Walker - 50-50, Walker has problem with speed and movement but Martinez's low hands against Walker's pressure and power could be a problem

Freddie Steele - Martinez bigger and faster, Steele technically more solid but maybe a bit straight up, hard to pick another 50-50 for me

Fred Apostoli - Apostoli's defence and counter punching and better technique see him win a UD

Tony Zale - H2H I don't rate Zale that highly, I think Martinez's massive speed advantage sees him win here

Jake La Motta - Martinez for me. Lamotta wouldn't have a size advantage here and Martinez is quicker and better outside, hit harder and the southpaw angle may give Lamotta problems. We've seen Martinez can deal with a very very fast pace against WIlliams, so the pressure isn't wearing him down. Lamotta when he does get inside lands but Martinez overall lands more and wins an 8-4 or 7-5 type decision

Ray Robinson - Robi faster and technically better, Martinez bigger, Robi wins a decision

Emile Griffith - Martinez bigger, quicker and the lefty angles, Griffith cutie and highly skilled but in many many close fights. This would be another 1 of them, I'm giving Martinez a slight edge

Carlos Monzon - he wins a few early rounds before Monzon takes over for a comprehensive UD

Michael Nunn - Nunn is quicker and bigger fighting at a faster pace, Martinez maybe technicially more solid. Nunn UD

I wasn't picking the ten best H2H fighters. Just going through my list and picking ten guys who had sat atop the Mw perch for a decent length of time whilst having a decent amount of footage to allow for educated picks
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2012, 09:48 AM   #11
thistle1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

far, far too much credit to Martinez and too, too much disregard for past fighters realities, playing field (Comp) and longeviety... Freddie Steele for example handled a hundred Martinezes, Walker fought UP in divisions, something that just isn't done today and for 40 - 50 years.

Griffith was a beast, Zale by many, many accounts was as tough as anything Martinez could give.

too much disproportional respect for Martinez,

as I've said a million times the men of the past have nothing to prove, it's already been done.

the men of today haven't fought UP out of their divisions,
they haven't met dozens of legitimate TOP contenders and fighters,
they didn't and wouldn't remain on top for years had they done so, the past fighters that did, well again it's already done.

Our boys aren't fighting hundreds of fights with relatively few losses by comparison and at 3 weekly to 5 weekly scheduals and on it goes.
thistle1 is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2012, 10:04 AM   #12
Lester1583
Can you hear this?
ESB Addict

Quote:
Michael Nunn - Nunn is quicker and bigger fighting at a faster pace, Martinez maybe technicially more solid.
Is Martinez really technicially more solid?
Lester1583 is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2012, 10:08 AM   #13
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
far, far too much credit to Martinez and too, too much disregard for past fighters realities, playing field (Comp) and longeviety... Freddie Steele for example handled a hundred Martinezes, Walker fought UP in divisions, something that just isn't done today and for 40 - 50 years.

Griffith was a beast, Zale by many, many accounts was as tough as anything Martinez could give.

too much disproportional respect for Martinez,

as I've said a million times the men of the past have nothing to prove, it's already been done.

the men of today haven't fought UP out of their divisions,
they haven't met dozens of legitimate TOP contenders and fighters,
they didn't and wouldn't remain on top for years had they done so, the past fighters that did, well again it's already done.

Our boys aren't fighting hundreds of fights with relatively few losses by comparison and at 3 weekly to 5 weekly scheduals and on it goes.
I'd disagree and say far too much of the rose tinted glasses for these fighters, they all have their weaknesses. Fighters today go up in weight much the same way, should I pick Toney over everyone in history because he had some success at HW?

In contrary to fighting 100 Martinez's I don't think Zale has fought anyone like Martinez, no one as big, conditioned and maybe no one as quick

Just because Walker fought up in divisions doesn't mean he didn't have problems with certain styles. He didn't do as well against masters of defence or speed merchants. At MW Greb dominated him, Flowers by all accounts beat him too. At WW an ancient Britton beat him, as did Latzo. At LHW he went 50-50 with Loughran

As for Martinez he beat the best MW in Pavlik and beat the best 154lb fighter in Williams. He's been top competition around the world for 12 years, just because he's only just came on your radar doesn't make him a flash in the pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester1583 View Post
Is Martinez really technicially more solid?
Well they both break the rules but I think at times Nunn gives up his height when he shouldn't have. I'd still pick him to win prime for prime
Old 03-18-2012, 10:18 AM   #14
thistle1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

PAVLIK...enough said.

when ever I want to compare Fans to Historians and men in the biz I always go here... always grounded breakdowns

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
thistle1 is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2012, 10:22 AM   #15
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
PAVLIK...enough said.

when ever I want to compare Fans to Historians and men in the biz I always go here... always grounded breakdowns

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Pavlik>Tony Zale

I'm not saying Martinez is the best MW ever or in the top10 for that matter, but he's far from the worst

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum