Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-16-2012, 09:03 PM   #106
DonBoxer
The Lion!
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: Wlad Klitchko V (Pre Manny Steward) Lennox Lewis

Your right Mongoose you wouldnt get Louis saying it because he didnt fight half as many dangerous opponents.

Would i say Lewis was a better finisher, yes because in my opinion he stopped more people with a proven better chin than Louis did.

Its fair enough to say you prefer the punching style of finishing that Louis uses, if your a big fan of the right hand over the jab but finishing is about so much more than technique.

I would say that Lewis would have a much easier time beating Wlad and finishing him than Louis would.
DonBoxer is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2012, 09:31 PM   #107
Foreman Hook
☆☆☆ G$ora ☆☆☆
ESB Addict

vCash: 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBoxer View Post
Your right Mongoose you wouldnt get Louis saying it because he didnt fight half as many dangerous opponents.

Would i say Lewis was a better finisher, yes because in my opinion he stopped more people with a proven better chin than Louis did.

Its fair enough to say you prefer the punching style of finishing that Louis uses, if your a big fan of the right hand over the jab but finishing is about so much more than technique.

I would say that Lewis would have a much easier time beating Wlad and finishing him than Louis would.
Don m8, do you really see 198LBS PRIME Louis from 1938 having much of a chance VS 247LBS PRIME Wladdy??

THAT is a 49LBS of PURE-MUSCLE size-difference!!

"Glassy Joe" Louis was plodding, easy-to-hit AND had a notorious Glass-Jaw.

And @6'2 with 76inch reach, would have to plod through Wladdy's laser-guided Telephone-Pole RAMROD Jab And Killer Righ-hand, to reach teh chin of 6'6 GIANT Ukrainian with his 81inch Reach.

Foreman Hoooooooooooooooooooooooook!
Foreman Hook is offline  Top
Old 03-17-2012, 03:30 PM   #108
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru

vCash: 693

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBoxer View Post
Oh Please...

M. Baer
B. Baer
Schemling
Nova
Galento
Walcott
Mauriello

are some of the most dangerous punchers of the 30s and 40s. Just as dangerous as any of Lewis' opponents. And unlike some of Lewis' "punchers" these guys have KOed and finished mutilple top level contenders.
The Mongoose is offline  Top
Old 03-17-2012, 03:36 PM   #109
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
Been mulling over this for a while before posting.

The ****y confident Lewis of the early 90's was a very good offensive machine and his athleticism was very impressive for a man of his size.

Against this version of Wlad, he would come out swinging.

Can Wlad keep him outside with his jab? not a chance, Lewis has been backed up a few times in his career, but the success never lasts long and people have to take punishment to keep him there (apart from rahman in the first who backed lewis against the ropes quite easily before belting him with that huge right). Can Wlad be the stronger man in the clinch? I doubt it, Lewis will get close and hurt him uppercuts, plus Lewis will have a speed advantage and his durability would outlast wlad imo.

Wlad's chance is catching Lewis with a huge right as Lewis is throwing (much like rid**** did). Wlad would probably have to stiffen Lewis quite quickly with the jab and unleash the right bomb flush to win this fight. His 1-2 is very very quick, Lewis from then made enough mistakes that wlad could catch him with his chin in no man's land.

If Wlad lets Lewis dictate the pace, he'll get blown out of the water. He has to hit him hard and hurt him to win this. His hands are quick enough, and Lewis back then was risky enough for it to happen.

As for my prediction? Wlad will be overly cautious behind the jab, whilst that works wonders against smaller opponents (he can grab if they get close) it will allow Lewis an opportunity to get mid range and push his **** in.

I think in the HW division, pre-manny Lewis can lose to almost anyone because most big guys can bang and his chin won't hold up to a flush bomb. That being said, the bomb has to land for him to lose. Whilst I'd give almost anyone that punchers chance, it si just that, a punchers chance. Some will hit the jackpot, some won't. most of the time, they won't imo. Lewis was a great great boxer that can't be taken lightly. Whilst Wlad could bang him at any dont in the fight, I don't think he will.

I think Lewis pushes Wlad's **** in.
Great assessment.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 03-17-2012, 11:19 PM   #110
brb
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

I don't understand why so many people overlook Lewis getting knocked down and not getting back up. That is huge to me. It reminds me of Mike Tyson in a way. Whenever Mike fought a guy that wasn't afraid of him (e.g. - Buster Douglas, Evander Holyfield) he lost. It's important to have a fighter get back up after being knocked down and demonstrate the ability to face adversity and win.
brb is offline  Top
Old 03-17-2012, 11:29 PM   #111
LSDarthMaul

I dont have much time to a discussion,but some of this Klitschko haters are dumb as f***,they remember me the guys that said that Tex Cobb would have given a tough match for the Klitschkos.
LSDarthMaul is offline  Top
Old 03-17-2012, 11:37 PM   #112
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSDarthMaul View Post
I dont have much time to a discussion,but some of this Klitschko haters are dumb as f***,they remember me the guys that said that Tex Cobb would have given a tough match for the Klitschkos.
You've really made them feel a bit dumber with this post.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2012, 08:18 AM   #113
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by brb View Post
I don't understand why so many people overlook Lewis getting knocked down and not getting back up. That is huge to me. It reminds me of Mike Tyson in a way. Whenever Mike fought a guy that wasn't afraid of him (e.g. - Buster Douglas, Evander Holyfield) he lost. It's important to have a fighter get back up after being knocked down and demonstrate the ability to face adversity and win.
to be honest, I don't think anyone is overlooking it.

Most would agree that if Wlad catches Lewis with a perfect shot, it's game over.

The question is about whther he would catch him with that shot or not. Post Steward Wlad is a fantastic fighter and that is because he fights very methodically and takes very few risks. The odds of him landing a big shot early doors are remote imo. If he does, he wins, That simple.

More likely, for me, is that when Lewis begins to open up, he sees Wlad react on his bike, and goes into seek and destroy mode.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2012, 08:21 AM   #114
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSDarthMaul View Post
Tex Cobb wouldn't be an issue for neither.

What I think is bizarre, is posters referring to them as one entity.

The dregs in the geeneral might think the two are exactly the same therefore is one brother wins a guy, the other brother might as well have beaten him.

But on the classic, I'd expect people to appreciate the different attributes both men bring to the table.

Noone tries to combine holmes and tyson into one entity, or holyfield and lewis into one entity, so why would they do it with the K bro's?

My experience with posters of this nature almost always points to one thing; an insecurity regarding Vitali's career. Because he's been massively outshone by wlad they like to compensate by claiming it's joint dominance, rather than the reality that Wlad has been pummeling the top 5 for the last 6 years and Vitali is content being second best.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2012, 09:10 AM   #115
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by brb View Post
Lewis actually always got back up, against McCall he got back up ready to fight but the ref stopped it. Against Rahman he got back up but didn't beat the fight, he did showboat and get hit by a perfect shot as a result though
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2012, 10:15 AM   #116
DonBoxer
The Lion!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mongoose View Post
Oh Please...

M. Baer
B. Baer
Schemling
Nova
Galento
Walcott
Mauriello

are some of the most dangerous punchers of the 30s and 40s. Just as dangerous as any of Lewis' opponents. And unlike some of Lewis' "punchers" these guys have KOed and finished mutilple top level contenders.
I guess it comes down to our opinion of those fighters.
I agree they are dangerous fighters for Louis, i wouldnt give them much chance against Lennox though.

I would give the punchers Lewis fought a better chance agaisnt Joe than the guys Joe fought.

You can talk all you like saying i am discriminating against old fighters, like you have already said, but most people will know that i dont do that. Its just my opinion on the heavyweights that Louis fought.

I dont dispute their greatness, i dont discriminate against their ability in comparison to their peers, i just do not give them as much credit as you do.
DonBoxer is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2012, 09:44 PM   #117
brb
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Lewis actually always got back up, against McCall he got back up ready to fight but the ref stopped it. Against Rahman he got back up but didn't beat the fight, he did showboat and get hit by a perfect shot as a result though
I knew someone was gonna be a smartass...
brb is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum