Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2012, 08:39 PM   #16
Cachibatches
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: From Parts Unknown
Posts: 5,136
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Any news on Abdusalamov-Pettaway?

Not sure how anyone can complain about Mago's power, here. Definately seems a bit flat-footed, but the power is there.
Cachibatches is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2012, 08:52 PM   #17
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 103
Default Re: Any news on Abdusalamov-Pettaway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cachibatches View Post
Not sure how anyone can complain about Mago's power, here. Definately seems a bit flat-footed, but the power is there.
Let me school you a bit.

Consider how many clean power shots Mago landed on Pettaway over the first 3 rounds. A Klitschko-esque puncher would have knocked Pettaway cold with any one of those punches, and wouldn't have needed to beat Pettaway down over multiple rounds.

So, unless Pettaway has the chin of George Chuvalo, Mago's power is now looking little less awe-inspiring than before.
kenmore is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:49 AM   #18
Nosbor
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: You hung with me, I'm the Bakersfield Chimp!
Posts: 2,675
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Any news on Abdusalamov-Pettaway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmore View Post
Let me school you a bit.

Consider how many clean power shots Mago landed on Pettaway over the first 3 rounds. A Klitschko-esque puncher would have knocked Pettaway cold with any one of those punches, and wouldn't have needed to beat Pettaway down over multiple rounds.

So, unless Pettaway has the chin of George Chuvalo, Mago's power is now looking little less awe-inspiring than before.
Come on GW! Abdusalamov has thuding, heavy hands. Many of those shots were partially blocked by Pettaway's high guard but still split and/or eventually lowered it sufficiently.

Tyson Fury is a pretty good puncher and hit a guy for ten straight rounds with a myriad of clean power shots that Mago dispatched in three. Mago also throws some shots that are rather straight, they are not all wild hooks like many claim.
Nosbor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:05 AM   #19
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 103
Default Re: Any news on Abdusalamov-Pettaway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosbor View Post
Come on GW! Abdusalamov has thuding, heavy hands. Many of those shots were partially blocked by Pettaway's high guard but still split and/or eventually lowered it sufficiently.

Tyson Fury is a pretty good puncher and hit a guy for ten straight rounds with a myriad of clean power shots that Mago dispatched in three. Mago also throws some shots that are rather straight, they are not all wild hooks like many claim.
Okay, maybe you are correct. I will have to watch the film again.
kenmore is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:49 AM   #20
Cachibatches
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: From Parts Unknown
Posts: 5,136
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Any news on Abdusalamov-Pettaway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosbor View Post
Come on GW! Abdusalamov has thuding, heavy hands. Many of those shots were partially blocked by Pettaway's high guard but still split and/or eventually lowered it sufficiently.

Tyson Fury is a pretty good puncher and hit a guy for ten straight rounds with a myriad of clean power shots that Mago dispatched in three. Mago also throws some shots that are rather straight, they are not all wild hooks like many claim.
Pettaway is a good defensive fighter with a solid amatuer background. A fourth round stoppage is a feather in the cap any way you look at it.
Cachibatches is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:24 AM   #21
Zacker
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,301
vCash: 214
Default Re: Any news on Abdusalamov-Pettaway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmore View Post
Let me school you a bit.

Consider how many clean power shots Mago landed on Pettaway over the first 3 rounds. A Klitschko-esque puncher would have knocked Pettaway cold with any one of those punches, and wouldn't have needed to beat Pettaway down over multiple rounds.

So, unless Pettaway has the chin of George Chuvalo, Mago's power is now looking little less awe-inspiring than before.
Abdusalamov stopped people left and right in the amateurs as well. That's power. His boxing skills aren't really impressive, though. But luckily he can only improve.
Zacker is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:35 AM   #22
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 103
Default Re: Any news on Abdusalamov-Pettaway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cachibatches View Post
Pettaway is a good defensive fighter
But he was being hit flush by Mago, repeatedly...
kenmore is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:03 AM   #23
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 120,583
vCash: 32000
Default Re: Any news on Abdusalamov-Pettaway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosbor View Post
Come on GW! Abdusalamov has thuding, heavy hands. Many of those shots were partially blocked by Pettaway's high guard but still split and/or eventually lowered it sufficiently.

Tyson Fury is a pretty good puncher and hit a guy for ten straight rounds with a myriad of clean power shots that Mago dispatched in three. Mago also throws some shots that are rather straight, they are not all wild hooks like many claim.
Straight but sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow.
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:04 AM   #24
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 120,583
vCash: 32000
Default Re: Any news on Abdusalamov-Pettaway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cachibatches View Post
Pettaway is a good defensive fighter
He's okay, by journeyman standards.

His defense was impressive for the first couple of minutes of the bout, and then he ran out of ideas (which made it just a matter of time)
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:05 AM   #25
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 120,583
vCash: 32000
Default Re: Any news on Abdusalamov-Pettaway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacker View Post
Abdusalamov stopped people left and right in the amateurs as well. That's power. His boxing skills aren't really impressive, though. But luckily he can only improve.
Unless he doesn't.

Most pro heavyweight don't.
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:45 PM   #26
madpuppy
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 319
vCash: 500
Default Re: Any news on Abdusalamov-Pettaway?

IB..whats with Mago hate? No one is proclaiming him a threat to the Klitchshkos or anything, but in a stale division, a really powerful guy who goes in to knock people is out is going to excite people, much like David Price has.

And at least he seems to be improving his conditioning with each fight, rather than getting fatter, so that shows some dedication.
madpuppy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:08 PM   #27
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 120,583
vCash: 32000
Default Re: Any news on Abdusalamov-Pettaway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpuppy View Post
IB..whats with Mago hate? No one is proclaiming him a threat to the Klitchshkos or anything, but in a stale division, a really powerful guy who goes in to knock people is out is going to excite people, much like David Price has.

And at least he seems to be improving his conditioning with each fight, rather than getting fatter, so that shows some dedication.
If you guys want to get excited about a heavyweight power punching prospect in the early stages of development, how about Bogdan Dinu? He gets no love on here, which is strange.

Dinu has had half as many bouts and looks maybe MORE powerful than Abdusalamov (leaving aside respecitve stoppage ratios, which is a pretty easily manipulated statistic at the level they're both still at...for instance, I can assure you that Abdusalamov wouldn't stop Remi Ziasus either...) - as well as looking faster, sharper, and more fluid.

MA is strong. So what? He literally brings nothing else to the table, and I just don't see what people are getting so horny about. I've got nothing against him really - it's just very bizarre to see all these people foaming at the mouth over a one-trick pony. (whose one trick is only so-so...this isn't the second coming of Mike Tyson we're dealing with here, folks...)
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:32 PM   #28
Cachibatches
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: From Parts Unknown
Posts: 5,136
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Any news on Abdusalamov-Pettaway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
If you guys want to get excited about a heavyweight power punching prospect in the early stages of development, how about Bogdan Dinu? He gets no love on here, which is strange.

Dinu has had half as many bouts and looks maybe MORE powerful than Abdusalamov (leaving aside respecitve stoppage ratios, which is a pretty easily manipulated statistic at the level they're both still at...for instance, I can assure you that Abdusalamov wouldn't stop Remi Ziasus either...) - as well as looking faster, sharper, and more fluid.

MA is strong. So what? He literally brings nothing else to the table, and I just don't see what people are getting so horny about. I've got nothing against him really - it's just very bizarre to see all these people foaming at the mouth over a one-trick pony. (whose one trick is only so-so...this isn't the second coming of Mike Tyson we're dealing with here, folks...)
Dinu gets lots of love here- but he doesn't fight much.

Unfortunately, until his circumstances change and he can pursue his career, he isn't going anywhere.
Cachibatches is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:23 PM   #29
Nosbor
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: You hung with me, I'm the Bakersfield Chimp!
Posts: 2,675
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Any news on Abdusalamov-Pettaway?

It's a Boston conspiracy against Mago,

IB
Kenmore
That Pistal guy

LOl.....

Mago is based/trains(Oxnard) about 30 minutes from me. Would be interesting to see him train but the sessions are no doubt closed at least they should be.
Nosbor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:01 PM   #30
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 120,583
vCash: 32000
Default Re: Any news on Abdusalamov-Pettaway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosbor View Post
It's a Boston conspiracy against Mago,

IB

Kenmore
That Pistal guy


LOl.....

Mago is based/trains(Oxnard) about 30 minutes from me. Would be interesting to see him train but the sessions are no doubt closed at least they should be.


I hadn't made the connection until you drew it just now.

What do you say, boys? Could our own John "Quiet Man" Ruiz come outta retirement and box circles around this goon?
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013