Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2008, 06:38 PM   #1
Sonny's jab
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Joe Baksi

Has anyone got any information on Joe Baksi.

His style of fighting, his background, any info. I hear he was one of the leading heavyweights through the 1940s. He has a decent record.

Anyone seen him fight on film (or live !) ?
 Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2008, 06:49 PM   #2
OLD FOGEY
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,835
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joe Baksi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny's jab
Has anyone got any information on Joe Baksi.

His style of fighting, his background, any info. I hear he was one of the leading heavyweights through the 1940s. He has a decent record.

Anyone seen him fight on film (or live !) ?
I have not seen film of him. He seems to have been the George Chuvalo of the 1940's, extremely strong and tough. He was stopped only once, on cuts by Ezzard Charles, in over 70 fights. Baksi was about the same size as Chuvalo, 6' 1" and 210 lbs. He was considered in line for a fight with Joe Louis until he blew a decision to Ole Tandberg.
OLD FOGEY is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 03:02 AM   #3
Marciano Frazier
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,469
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joe Baksi

From the writings I've seen that reference him, I get the impression Baksi was a fairly good puncher with decent skills, though maybe a bit of a plodder, and he seems to have had an extremely strong chin. He was a little on the bigger side for his era, being 6'1" and 210+ pounds. I think he was somewhat vulnerable to being outboxed by the slickster types; boxers like Walcott, Charles and Oma handled him pretty soundly. He had his share of major wins in 1943-47, beating the likes of Mauriello, Nova, Savold, Dorazio, Mills and Wood****, but also losses to Walcott, Savold, Dorazio, Oma and Tandberg. In addition to the loss to Tandberg blowing him a potential title shot, I believe he was also considered a likely candidate for Louis' next title challenger in 1945 before he lost to Walcott, in an upset that marked the first major win of Jersey Joe's mid-'40s comeback run.
Marciano Frazier is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 03:13 AM   #4
Woller
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Denmark
Posts: 449
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joe Baksi

Film exists of Baksi´s fight against Wood****. He looks a tough guy and gives Wood**** a terrible beating. Wood**** was on the floor several times, and should have been stopped long before the fight ended.

Woller
Woller is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:33 AM   #5
dalek
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 60
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joe Baksi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woller
Film exists of Baksi´s fight against Wood****. He looks a tough guy and gives Wood**** a terrible beating. Wood**** was on the floor several times, and should have been stopped long before the fight ended.

Woller
yeah bruce really takes a beating in this fight.i've a few wood**** fights on film and he looked a very good fighter especially against gus lesnevich who was light heavy champ at the time.
dalek is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 10:42 AM   #6
OLD FOGEY
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,835
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joe Baksi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woller
Film exists of Baksi´s fight against Wood****. He looks a tough guy and gives Wood**** a terrible beating. Wood**** was on the floor several times, and should have been stopped long before the fight ended.

Woller
I would really like to see this film. Thanks for mentioning that it exists.
OLD FOGEY is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 10:47 AM   #7
Sonny's jab
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: Joe Baksi

Yeah, thanks for the comments.

That's good to know Baksi has survived on film.
I've got Wood**** V. Mills on DVD, and Wood**** looked very good.

I remember reading somewhere about Baksi destroying Wood****, and shocked the Brits who had hoped Wood**** was a future world champion.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:10 PM   #8
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 21,255
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joe Baksi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny's jab
I remember reading somewhere about Baksi destroying Wood****, and shocked the Brits who had hoped Wood**** was a future world champion.
Only one of many such disapointments that us Brits have endured I can asure you.
janitor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 01:29 AM   #9
Marciano Frazier
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,469
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joe Baksi

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor
Only one of many such disapointments that us Brits have endured I can asure you.
Oh, yes- in fact, this was probably nothing compared to the disappointment a couple years later when Louis retired and the BBBC put Wood**** in with Lee Savold (who was inactive, thought to be past his prime, and had lost to Wood**** in his previous fight) for the "World Heavyweight Title," seemingly handing him at least a version of the world championship and a sanctioning claim at recognition, only for Savold to soundly outbox him and then open a sickening gash over his eye, prompting a referee stoppage.
Marciano Frazier is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:13 AM   #10
rhealy
newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3
vCash: 500
Default Re: Joe Baksi

Hi Guys
I'm his grandson and we just put my grandmother to rest next to him this weekend. Am looking for any and all footage/pics/press clippings anyone has of him/them. Am trying to get everything we have in the family together too and happy to share. Offline happy to tell a few stories my grandmother related about the whole Tandberg thing and why my grandfather never fought Louis....
R
rhealy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:19 PM   #11
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,814
vCash: 500
Default Re: Joe Baksi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhealy View Post
Hi Guys
I'm his grandson and we just put my grandmother to rest next to him this weekend. Am looking for any and all footage/pics/press clippings anyone has of him/them. Am trying to get everything we have in the family together too and happy to share. Offline happy to tell a few stories my grandmother related about the whole Tandberg thing and why my grandfather never fought Louis....
R
rhealy, I saw your Grandpa fight ringside 4 times. Against, Lee Oma, Lee Savold and Tami Mauriello at MSG in the mid-1940s. He won all three bouts, each one was a war..I also saw your Grandpa in I believe his last bout losing to Bob Baker at Eastern Pkwy Arena. He was a big burley guy,and very strong...P.S. One thing I recall about him. At Stillman's gym
Joe was dressed up like an English dandy, leather gloves and all.I think he just returned from a bout in Britain.
burt bienstock is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:54 PM   #12
choklab
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: bad to the bone and sexy
Posts: 5,580
vCash: 500
Default Re: Joe Baksi

there is quite a big peice written about joe baksi in jack solomans book. He brought baksi over to the UK to fight wood**** and mills.
choklab is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:08 PM   #13
johnmaff36
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: ireland
Posts: 2,628
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joe Baksi

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
rhealy, I saw your Grandpa fight ringside 4 times. Against, Lee Oma, Lee Savold and Tami Mauriello at MSG in the mid-1940s. He won all three bouts, each one was a war..I also saw your Grandpa in I believe his last bout losing to Bob Baker at Eastern Pkwy Arena. He was a big burley guy,and very strong...P.S. One thing I recall about him. At Stillman's gym
Joe was dressed up like an English dandy, leather gloves and all.I think he just returned from a bout in Britain.
I just love this forum. Where else would you get it?
johnmaff36 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:26 PM   #14
rhealy
newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3
vCash: 500
Default Re: Joe Baksi

Burt, he was a big guy - when I was 7 and my brother was 6 we were in his backyard and got him to toss us up over his head and catch us - he did it for 1/2 hr!
choklab thanks for the tip on Jack Solomon's book. Here is a tidbit for you. My grandfather had bought my grandmother Anne a fur coat. Since there was an insane luxury tax in Britain after the war, the English promoter asked Solomon to have her bring one for his wife. Someone tipped off British customs and Solomon told her to wear both constantly and interchangeably and say they were hers. You can see this in the British Pathe films. The British customs guys wanted to take them both anyway. My grandfather "convinced" them it was a bad idea.
rhealy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:31 PM   #15
rhealy
newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3
vCash: 500
Default Re: Joe Baksi

Sonny's jab - Wood**** was too small and didn't have the reach. They shouldn't have let him fight Joe, my grandfather. My mom has some photos of the fight. Looked like a slaughterhouse, and Gram always said they should have ended it earlier. He took a pounding. On the Tandberg issue, she blamed bias on the part of the Scandinavian judges. It was the general opinion Gramp had scored more points. Later back in the States he was made an offer to throw a fight, then get a rematch, win that then get a shot at Louis, which would be won on technical terms no knock out. He and his people thought the deal stunk and they didn't take it.
rhealy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013