Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-24-2011, 11:58 AM   #16
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: How would Rocky Marciano do in amateur boxing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodenum View Post
Bob Girard, the final amateur to defeat Marciano, outboxed him stylishly for the decision. As was sometimes the case in Rocky's amateur career, Marciano came into this one hampered with an injured mitt, and had to fight one handed. In later years, Girard was modestly diffident about his win:

"How do you think I beat Rocky? I beat him because it was for three rounds. There were a hundred guys who might have stayed three rounds with the Rock. But no man in the world was gonna to beat Rocky in fifteen rounds; not Dempsey, not Ali, not anybody. I knew he was going to be champ. I don't think anybody could hurt Rocky. Every time he hit you, you saw a flash of light. You either grabbed him, or you moved back. Because if he hits you twice, you're gone!"

A broken thumb cost Marciano a chance at going to the 1948 Olympics, and very possibly becoming the first Gold Medalist to become HW Champion. But he did take the decision over George McGuinnis to win an AAU Olympic tryout in Boston, fighting right handed only. (Jay Lambert, a stablemate of Rex Layne and the Fullmer brothers under Marv Jenson, was the eventual American HW representative in London, losing in the quarterfinals to South African Bronze Medalist Johnny Arthur.)

What Bob Girard said about Rocky suggests that a tall stylist might have been able to stay away from him as necessary to steal a three round decision, but again, it bears reminding that Marciano had a damaged paw when Girard beat him, and that Frazier did win Gold in Tokyo over a decade and a half later by successfully concealing a similar injury. Give Marciano two healthy hands through 1948, and he may very well have struck Gold in London. The medalists there, Rafael Iglesias (Gold), Gunnar Nilsson (Silver), and Arthur (Bronze) did not have great punch resistance, and only the 6'2" 210 pound Arthur would have been bigger than Marciano. (And in 1949, the 178 pound Lambert was wiped out by Clarence Henry in 3, so it seems certain Rocky could have kayoed him in the '48 US Olympic Trials.)

knowledgeable post
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2011, 01:03 PM   #17
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru

bump
john garfield is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2011, 01:23 PM   #18
Garrus
Big Boss 1935-2014
ESB Addict

Location: A Hero Forever Loyal To The Flames Of War, Rests in Outer Heaven
vCash: 157

Garrus is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2011, 01:42 PM   #19
di tullio
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 268

No footage exists of HeavilyBeastin so I can't come to a conclusion.
di tullio is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2011, 01:45 PM   #20
cross_trainer
Bergeron Avatar Club
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by di tullio View Post
No footage exists of HeavilyBeastin so I can't come to a conclusion.
Newspaper accounts claim that he's a whirlwind of punches and hits like a freight train.
cross_trainer is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2012, 06:20 AM   #21
marcianoredempt

vCash: 500

Marciano's amateur career was short but spectacular, he won two goldne gloves titles in Lowell during February 1948 after officially competing as an amateur for just over a year, his career began unofficially in the army as far back as 1943 in Wales when he took part in several inter-service bouts, few of these were recorded for posterity so it was not until 1946 when the war was finally over that Rocky began officially representing his then base (Fort Lewis)...Immediately after his release from service in December 1946 he began competing as an amateur in and around Boston before taking a few months off to try out at a career in baseball, when this failed he returned to the amateurs in earnest under the guidance of local promoter Gene Caggiano: for more visit [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].
marcianoredempt is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2012, 06:43 AM   #22
Boxed Ears
ESB #1 Name Changer!
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcianoredempt View Post
Marciano's amateur career was short but spectacular, he won two goldne gloves titles in Lowell during February 1948 after officially competing as an amateur for just over a year, his career began unofficially in the army as far back as 1943 in Wales when he took part in several inter-service bouts, few of these were recorded for posterity so it was not until 1946 when the war was finally over that Rocky began officially representing his then base (Fort Lewis)...Immediately after his release from service in December 1946 he began competing as an amateur in and around Boston before taking a few months off to try out at a career in baseball, when this failed he returned to the amateurs in earnest under the guidance of local promoter Gene Caggiano: for more visit [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].
Waited two years for that, ey, lad?
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2012, 05:11 PM   #23
Ricky42791
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2835

In todays amatuer system any brawler/slugger is at an automatic disadvantage. Ive encountered those problems, its all about punch count. a jab that couldnt knock your hat off counts the same as a overhand right that knocks you down. also body punching is difficult to see so they rarley get counted. theres headgear which makes it harder to knock someone out cold. And if you do catch him with a good shot he gets an 8 count to continue, he could recover in that time. If your a slugger you HAVE to stop your opponent cause your not going to win on finesse 3 eight counts in one round or just teeing off on a guy is your only real way to win. So i could see how rocky would have problems but he could probably knock someone out with 18oz gloves and headgear lol
Ricky42791 is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2012, 05:51 PM   #24
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavilyBeastin View Post
I see myself having a good shot at beating him, in all honesty.
With that attitude, HB, you'd wind-up like Custer at The Little Big Horn.

I watched Rocky train in NYC, in camp in the Catskill mountains, and fight live.

He was an acquired taste; it took a long time. But, even the skeptics on Jacob's Beach became believers.

He was clumsier sparring than you could imagine -- a ham-‘n’-egger against most half-decent boxers in the gym...and it didn’t help that he resembled the Pillsbury Doughboy in layers of sweat clothes, wearing 16-ounce gloves that looked like pillows on Thalidomide arms.

Seeing him before the bell gave no hint of his being any kind of a fighter -- let alone world class -- more like a catcher to hone some one else's tools.

A first-time observer would’ve advised him to pick up a hard hat.

The only lesson he could teach was: what NOT to do.

But every guy who looked like he boxed rings around him -- pinned his ears back -- never missed him with jabs -- came out of the ring lookin' like he dropped from a 10-story building and landed flat-footed.

Rocky's cuffing, pawing, mauling, grazing shots, flicks to the sides when he was tied-up on the inside, impacted them like they'd been bumped by a rhino. From ringside, the only evidence was an "OOPH!" grimace and quiver.

Every sparring partner who looked sensational against him, said the same thing exiting the ring: "I hurt all over."
john garfield is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2012, 08:09 PM   #25
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Prime Marciano should be able to knock out any one on this forum. imo

Same goes for Ali, Dempsey and the rest of the greats.

I dont like my chances against them.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2012, 08:11 PM   #26
Garrus
Big Boss 1935-2014
ESB Addict

Location: A Hero Forever Loyal To The Flames Of War, Rests in Outer Heaven
vCash: 157

Garrus is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2012, 10:42 PM   #27
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by john garfield View Post
With that attitude, HB, you'd wind-up like Custer at The Little Big Horn.

I watched Rocky train in NYC, in camp in the Catskill mountains, and fight live.

He was an acquired taste; it took a long time. But, even the skeptics on Jacob's Beach became believers.

He was clumsier sparring than you could imagine -- a ham-‘n’-egger against most half-decent boxers in the gym...and it didn’t help that he resembled the Pillsbury Doughboy in layers of sweat clothes, wearing 16-ounce gloves that looked like pillows on Thalidomide arms.

Seeing him before the bell gave no hint of his being any kind of a fighter -- let alone world class -- more like a catcher to hone some one else's tools.

A first-time observer would’ve advised him to pick up a hard hat.

The only lesson he could teach was: what NOT to do.

But every guy who looked like he boxed rings around him -- pinned his ears back -- never missed him with jabs -- came out of the ring lookin' like he dropped from a 10-story building and landed flat-footed.

Rocky's cuffing, pawing, mauling, grazing shots, flicks to the sides when he was tied-up on the inside, impacted them like they'd been bumped by a rhino. From ringside, the only evidence was an "OOPH!" grimace and quiver.

Every sparring partner who looked sensational against him, said the same thing exiting the ring: "I hurt all over."
excellent post and only a man with refined taste could say it so well.
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2012, 11:28 PM   #28
MadcapMaxie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

He'd annihilate you
MadcapMaxie is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2012, 02:04 AM   #29
Ivan Milat
Journeyman

I rate the Rock, along with Dempsey and Sullivan higher than most on here. Top 5 all time. But as an amateur Marciano was arse pie.
Ivan Milat is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum