Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-22-2012, 02:09 AM   #1786
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Jose Bonilla UD12 Saen Sor Ploechit

This is the end of Ploechit's WBA fly reign, Bonilla just slightly better on my card though I do believe it could have gone the other way. Bonilla is a rare sort of flyweight, stocky with short arms, there's no real stretch to him and he's very short of range here. He makes a lovely adjustment though, and although he continues to box Ploechit going away he makes sure to throw a LOT of punches whenever the two are in close, which is often. This ploy allows him to take advantage of Ploechit's general are of disorganisation and inaccuracy. He missed a lot of punches although I thought he actually looks better here than he did against Kim.

Anyway, once they settle down they throw in a right ding-dong, Saen Sor hoping that the volume and his slender superiority in out-boxing will get him there, and it looks like it might as Bonilla starts to fade just a tiny bit down the stretch letting him back into a fight he was steadily being shut out of. Entertaining if not electrifying stuff.

Wouldn't mind seeing a bit more of Bonilla, limited but smart fighter, he throws this short little jab into the mix whenever he is combination punching and I just had a sense that it was purely for the judges benefit as it rocked Ploechit's head back without doing any real damage. He threw it going away occasionally too.

SAEN SOR PLOECHIT: 1,2,3,9,11
JOSE BONILLA: 4,5,6,7,8,10,12

7-5 BONILLA
McGrain is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2012, 08:59 AM   #1787
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Ploenchit was an entertaining, interesting fighter, but was one of the weakest relatively long-reigning(in terms of title defence number at least)champs up to that point.One of the first to hint at the relative level of talent we could expect from the decent champs in the lower weights mid-90s to present.
lora is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2012, 10:56 AM   #1788
MrOliverKlozoff
The guy in shades
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Povetkin VS Huck. It was my second go and my boss and I watched the whole thing at work together. I scored it a draw. It could've easily gone either way. I thought Povetkin was going to knock seven shades of sh!t out of the kid but that kid is a heavyweight man I was surprised to find out. Povetkin's stamina was not there. I don't know what happened to him. I think ducking Wlad has sapped him of all his energy. Great thread, btw.
MrOliverKlozoff is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2012, 05:12 PM   #1789
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Cuevas vs Ranzany.

Cuevas is maybe the least skilled fighter in the HOF and I can't really see anything he does good. his punches are wild, his stance is awful, his technique is crap, his defence is crap, his speed is average, his one saving grace is that he could change a fight with one punch. serious blunt force trauma in those fists.

I'm not a child of the 70's, but was there a sense that this guy would always catch up with his opponent eventually? He went on a good knockout spree as champ, Palomino was obviously a better boxer but how did people see it going? I'd assume Palomino way ahead on cards but Cuevas can knock him out at any point.

Did people back then appreciate how shit he looked or was it all masked by his brutal power?

Maybe I'm being harsh on the guy, I dunno.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2012, 05:43 PM   #1790
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I think it was all masked by his brutal power. You didn't get to see these fights back then, not on British tv. At the time it was talked about as a dream fight and the odds would of been pretty close. I think Palomino would of beat him, take some big shots but come back to stop him.
AlFrancis is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2012, 05:47 PM   #1791
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Bujia, if you don't go back in the picture thread.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqAc_6hSrQE[/ame]

Castillo really put a horrific sustained beating on Esteba, there's a lot more of it here, in poor quality admittedly And monster puncher Ursua starches Castillo at the beginning.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2012, 05:48 PM   #1792
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

I've always favoured Palomino to be tough enough to come through Cuevas and beat him convincingly. Far more tooled up in this one, bar that horrible power. Cuevas was like a bigger poor man's Sung-Kil Moon, but Palomino would do him.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2012, 05:57 PM   #1793
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166

I always thought Palomino would win, maybe even stop Pipino...but I'm starting to doubt that slightly..the beer spokesman was a bit to hittable and grounded.

Cuevas is more skilled than given credit for IMO..better counter puncher and feinter then people realise.

But not a hell of a lot thats endearing about his style...his D was terrible and he was very slow.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2012, 06:03 PM   #1794
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Pipino makes chacon look like sugar ray
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #1795
El Bujia
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Bujia, if you don't go back in the picture thread.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Castillo really put a horrific sustained beating on Esteba, there's a lot more of it here, in poor quality admittedly And monster puncher Ursua starches Castillo at the beginning.
Daaaaaaaaaammmnnn! How's the ref gonna let him beat on an old man like that?

As far as the initial footage, the more I see of Ursua the more I think he might well have been the hardest hitter under Flyweight in history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
Pipino makes chacon look like sugar ray
Give Chacon some time. You'll eventually come 'round to him.
El Bujia is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2012, 07:37 PM   #1796
The Wanderer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 396

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Castillo really put a horrific sustained beating on Esteba, there's a lot more of it here, in poor quality admittedly
I think the only words to describe that are Jesus ****ing Christ!

Only a sadist or someone with a grudge against a guy should could let a beating go on that long.
The Wanderer is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2012, 01:16 AM   #1797
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Sergio Martinez TKO11 Matthew Macklin

Sergio's waiting style cost him early here as Macklin refused to be psychologically bullied. It was an interesting reversal in fact, and I think that Martinez felt the pressure to get going a bit at first, his boxing was certainly dis-jointed through 5 at which point he started to set down on his attacks a little bit and come looking for Macklin. Nothing dramatic, he just stopped waiting. Still, his tactics remained a little underwhelming, and even if Steward was quite right to say, after the stoppage, that Martinez had adjusted and broken down Macklin. It's true that Martinez's connect rate went through the absolute roof once he had Macklin pegged and he also totally dominated once Macklin started to struggle.

Fair play to Macklin, he made it interesting, loved his early stance and shot selection, I didn't like McGirt's advice in the corner, Macklin should have stepped out more rather than put pressure on with head movement - fighters always forget the head movement part when they get tired. More psychological pressure on Martinez would have been just fine, and he wouldn't have inevitably have fallen into the role of the rat to Sergio's Pied Piper. Still Martinez hypontises fighters, in the same way Jones did, even if those comparisons are overstated.

I'm very interested to see what Martinez does next.

I had Martinez four points ahead at the time of the stoppage, but I had them even going into the tenth. Dual knock-downs in the eleventh made the card wider, but Martinez had this fight nailed down anyway.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:25 AM   #1798
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

As a prelude to their second fight, I watched the first Eubank-Watson fight. I knew this had the repuatation as a contentious decision, but to be honest I don't see what all the fuss is about. I had Watson winning 6-5-1, but most of the rounds were so close it could very easily have had a two or three round swing either way. I see no reason whatsoever for any controversy. Tense fight, if not much in the way of blistering exchanges. Reminds me how much I despise Eubank's style.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2012, 01:47 AM   #1799
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

I agree. I had the same card, last time, I think, but I scored it a draw on the night.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:10 AM   #1800
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bujia View Post
Daaaaaaaaaammmnnn! How's the ref gonna let him beat on an old man like that?

As far as the initial footage, the more I see of Ursua the more I think he might well have been the hardest hitter under Flyweight in history.
It was savage. Makes Calzaghe-Lacy look like Froch-Dirrell

Ursua was a beast. El Bujia himself found that out the hard way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wanderer View Post
I think the only words to describe that are Jesus ****ing Christ!

Only a sadist or someone with a grudge against a guy should could let a beating go on that long.
It's horrific. Bujia showed me the last round, but I didn't realise it'd been going on for that long

Really wanna' see Eleoncio Mercedes beat Castillo though. It's an SD, so will be interesting to see how the Dominican fared.

Do I have Chitalada-Castillo somewhere? Maybe, I'll have to check the archives this weekend.
Flea Man is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum