Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-22-2012, 06:38 PM   #31
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 215
Default Re: The best five MW's Sugar Ray beat and how that compares to Monzon and Hagler's fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_scientist View Post
Robinson

LaMotta
Fullmer
Olson
Abrams
Turpin

(Basilio might be a better pick than Turpin)

Monzon

Benvenuti
Valdez
Fernandez
Griffith
Bouttier

Hagler

Hearns
Leonard (imo)
Roldan
Hamsho
Antuofermo (first fight)

As Mante said, Hagler has quite a few interchangeables, with the likes of Sibson, Duran, Minter, Mugabi etc.

Looking at those lists I'd go Robinson a clear no.1, with Hagler and Monzon pretty close, but perhaps the slightest of edges to Monzon.
I like SS's list except for a few picks; Briscoe in for Fernandez for Monzon and Sibson in for Leonard (thought he beat Hagler) for Marvin...Also Duran would have a shot at beating Roldan or Hamsho (imo)...also Mugabi should be in there for Vito....Anyway I think Robinson's overall comp is best but I judge Rodrigo Valdez pretty highly, he could possibly be the best (most dangerous) of the contenders mentioned.
dpw417 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2012, 12:34 AM   #32
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: The best five MW's Sugar Ray beat and how that compares to Monzon and Hagler's fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bujia View Post
I've seen Licata and Bouttier ranked over Briscoe. Let's hear why.

To me Bouttier seems a bit more skilled, and obviously he had a more consistent run, but there's no denying Briscoe compiled a better group of wins while running a harsher gauntlet.

Don't have that much of an issue of Briscoe replacing Bouttier.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2012, 12:36 AM   #33
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpw417 View Post
I like SS's list except for a few picks; Briscoe in for Fernandez for Monzon and Sibson in for Leonard (thought he beat Hagler) for Marvin...Also Duran would have a shot at beating Roldan or Hamsho (imo)...also Mugabi should be in there for Vito....Anyway I think Robinson's overall comp is best but I judge Rodrigo Valdez pretty highly, he could possibly be the best (most dangerous) of the contenders mentioned.
I think Fernandez would have toyed with Briscoe. Much, much craftier. Size may be the only thing that would make that fight competitive.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2012, 01:07 AM   #34
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Based on his ability and talent I rate Turpin as Robinson`s best Middleweight win. He didnt go on to do much after Robinson brutally cracked his chin but at the time that they fought he was very impressive to me. He looks like a beast on film.

He was like Sugar Rays "Ken Norton". He was big, strong, awkward and could punch like a mule.

After that LaMotta a close second. Probably Graziano 3rd. Olson 4th and Fullmer 5th.

Hagler beat some real tough middles before he even won the title as well. Briscoe, Monroe, Watts. As a champion Hearns 1st, Hamsho 2nd, Minter 3rd Mugabi 4th Duran 5th..

I dont know as much about Monzon though beating Benvenuti was highly impressive. Nino was a very good fighter. Griffith has to be in there, Briscoe in his prime and ofcourse Valdez and maybe Napoles.
ETM is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2012, 01:58 AM   #35
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_scientist View Post
I think Fernandez would have toyed with Briscoe. Much, much craftier. Size may be the only thing that would make that fight competitive.
Fair enough on your choice....but don't really see anyone 'toying' with Briscoe though.
dpw417 is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2012, 02:07 AM   #36
DonBoxer
The Lion!
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

I see people debating the names for Monzon, not sure about peoples thought process but for me i found me self having to decide who to leave out because of being limited to 5, with Hagler and Robinson it was more a case of me questioning myself as to weather a person is just there to make up the numbers.
DonBoxer is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum