Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2007, 10:20 AM   #1
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: East London
Posts: 32,973
vCash: 1900
Default should cotto and margarito leave arum?

arum picks who they have to fight, when margo wanted to fight williams arum took margo to court, he also picks who cotto should fight, i cant see cotto getting the big fights against mosley and pbf while he is with arum.
Relentless is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2007, 10:26 AM   #2
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: East London
Posts: 32,973
vCash: 1900
Default Re: should cotto and margarito leave arum?

i heard rumors that arum wanted to get rid of cotto's uncle as his trainer and get a better well known trainer.
Relentless is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:27 AM   #3
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: in a boxing gym near you
Posts: 10,432
vCash: 1000
Default Re: should cotto and margarito leave arum?

People dont know the money these promoters invest in fighters. Margarito was under contract with Arum. If you were a promoter and you invested millions in making a fighter a star, and then he wanted to leave you as soon as you could finally make some money off of him, you would try to protect your investment too. That seems to always be the scenario as well. If a super fight needs to be made, it usually happens if the fighter wants it too.
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:29 AM   #4
fatcity
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Battery Park
Posts: 7,609
vCash: 2000
Default Re: should cotto and margarito leave arum?

Arum has done at terrific job with Cotto.Margo is a blue collar type of fighter and these type's don't get any favours with Top Rank.It's all business and if you can't put asses in seats you get no gimmees.
fatcity is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:33 AM   #5
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: East London
Posts: 32,973
vCash: 1900
Default Re: should cotto and margarito leave arum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodismyPuta
The promoter just promotes the fight thats all...The Matchmaker is the one who picks the opponents. Now as far as you saying Arum wanted Cotto to get rid of his uncle, I seriously doubt it because Arum CANT tell Cotto who his trainer should be or who shouldnt be......
he cant but he will probably try, just like he is trying to make pacquaio leave roach.
Relentless is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:35 AM   #6
Antwuan Maxx
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 6,481
vCash: 1000
Default Re: should cotto and margarito leave arum?

Couldn't disagree more. Without Arum, Margarito wouldn't be nearly as known as he is now. Arum made Margarito into this so called feared monster. He took Marg to court because he he went back on an agreement to fight Cotto this past June, and because of shady business on the behalf of Goosen.

As far as Cotto goes, it's not like Cotto is the type of fighter who wants to pick his opponents. He honestly doesn't care who he's matched with, he just wants to fight. Plus it's not like Arum hasn't been matching him with solid competition. But anyway, now that the Golden Boy/Top Rank feud is squashed, both Arum and Golden Boy have been mentioning a possible fight with Mosley and Cotto.

Bob Arum catches a lot of flack from the fans, but the man is responsible, or partially responsible, for some of the best overall fight cards (Cotto-Judah, Pacquiao-Solis) and fights (Pavlik-Miranda, soon to be Pavlik-Taylor) we've seen this year.
Antwuan Maxx is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:39 AM   #7
BigReg
Broad Street Bully
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 19,095
vCash: 75
Default Re: should cotto and margarito leave arum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless
arum picks who they have to fight, when margo wanted to fight williams arum took margo to court, he also picks who cotto should fight, i cant see cotto getting the big fights against mosley and pbf while he is with arum.
They should leave Arum. Floyd and Oscar have done very well for themselves since leaving Arum. Arum is almost 80. He has too many grudges with other promoters, and has not done a whole lot for his top fighters. Cotto's fight with Judah probably barely cracked the 200,000 buy mark, and Cotto still has not had a marquee fight yet. Arum never even bothered to promote Margarito until Floyd told him to go **** himself. Poor Manny is stuck fighting no names on independant PPV's because of Arum's grudge with Oscar. Arum promised Pac $5 million a fight, he got $2 million for the Solis fight.
BigReg is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:48 AM   #8
vonBanditos
Mσderator
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Thuringia
Posts: 1,284
vCash: 3818
Default Re: should cotto and margarito leave arum?

I think that Arum has done a lot of good for Margarito. Just a few years ago nobody was really tossing his name out there, but Arum has really pushed hard to make us aware of him in the boxing press and on these forums. Margarito hasn't gotten a big fight yet, but he will as a result of all of this. Too many of us know his name and the huge 'Floyd is ducking Margarito' debate has given him way more exposure than he would have otherwise gotten based on his fights and record alone.

Not that I don't think that Arum is a scumbag, I'm sure he is. He just marketed Margarito cleverly.
vonBanditos is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:55 AM   #9
istmeno
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 834
vCash: 1000
Default Re: should cotto and margarito leave arum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigReg
They should leave Arum. Floyd and Oscar have done very well for themselves since leaving Arum. Arum is almost 80. He has too many grudges with other promoters, and has not done a whole lot for his top fighters. Cotto's fight with Judah probably barely cracked the 200,000 buy mark, and Cotto still has not had a marquee fight yet. Arum never even bothered to promote Margarito until Floyd told him to go **** himself. Poor Manny is stuck fighting no names on independant PPV's because of Arum's grudge with Oscar. Arum promised Pac $5 million a fight, he got $2 million for the Solis fight.
you have a very short sighted view when you say that pbf and dlh have doe well since leaving arum. what you fail to mantion is that they are doing well now because of the way arum handled their careers in the beginning. say what yu may about arum, but he is one of the few promoters who actually develops his own talent by investing the money early in a fighter who may or may not pan out.

everyone looks at the fact that once a fighter is making the big money and can stand on his own name, they compain nabout what the promoter makes. well what about when that same fighter started fighting for 1000 dollar purses buried on undercards as a nobody. noone complains that the promoter lost money on that fighter during those times. but once the promoters have thet fighter in a position to make a return on his investment, all of a sudden there is a problem with what the promoter makes.
istmeno is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 11:35 AM   #10
therealdeal
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 522
vCash: 1000
Default Re: should cotto and margarito leave arum?

Margarito is a totally different situation than Cotto, Oscar and Floyd were in. Margarito was not a highly touted prospect coming out of the Olympics. After his first 12 fights he was 9-3. He was not a sure fire blue chipper. He had to be brought along differently.

Arum has tried to showcase Margarito over the last few years and get him big fights. He has been headlining BAD cards, went over to Showtime for the Clottey fight, has headlined a few smaller Arum PPV's. But, for whatever reason, the champs haven't wanted to fight him. And he just hasn't been able to cross over and attract the non-hardcore boxing fans.

The only thing I question about Arum's handling of Margarito is that I think he should have given up the WBO title long ago. One you are a champ of one of the organizations, the others don't rank you anymore. It would have been much more advantageous for Margarito to be a #1 contender so that some of the other champs would have been forced to fight him. But, then again, I'm not sure Margarito would have gone for that. He signed to fight Williams even though Arum wanted him to give up the WBO for a Cotto fight.

The point is moot anyway. Margarito just re-signed with Arum.

And with regards to Cotto, Arum has handled him magnificently. Nobody in boxing nows how to build up a prospect into a champ better than Arum. Nobody.
therealdeal is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 11:36 AM   #11
istmeno
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 834
vCash: 1000
Default Re: should cotto and margarito leave arum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPower
Yes, they should. Arum might do a good job bringing these guys up, but when they get to a certain level they just stagnate. Margarito has been the WBO Champ for seven years and he still hasn't been able to get a big fight. Arum should have gotten him Baldomir when he was champ, but he didn't. Arum promised Margarito that he would get Gayrunner and did he? Nope. If Cotto isn't careful, he will end up wasting four to five years of his boxing life fighting no-hopers.
it was not arums fault that they did not get baldomir. i know for a fact that baldomir's people wanted no parts of margarito. and as far as pbf, what else could he do. he offered 8 million, and pbf paid to get out of his contract with arum. you cannot force someone to fight you.
and as far as cotto, imo bob has done a great job with his career to this point. he has yet to fight no hopers. he has steadiy moved him up in level of competition. to where now he has built his name and is the attraction.
istmeno is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 12:02 PM   #12
myk
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 268
vCash: 1000
Default Re: should cotto and margarito leave arum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless
i heard rumors that arum wanted to get rid of cotto's uncle as his trainer and get a better well known trainer.
It's still up to Cotto. Arum wants to get rid of Roach too as Manny's trainer.
myk is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013