Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-14-2008, 09:17 AM   #16
ron u.k.
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Lennox or Ali - Who Fought More Big...

well to describe cooper as a "mediocre" puncher is just a tad unfair.no one would claim he was a great heavy although he does hold a decision win over a prime folley he could literally take your head off with that left hook.the shot that downed ali was a magnificent punch, expertly delivered.a lot of heavies wouldn't have got up from that.
ron u.k. is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2008, 09:31 AM   #17
OLD FOGEY
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove
Add Patterson, Quarry, Jones, Moore & Clark to Ali's list. Akinwande

You mean Lamar Clark? Lewis probably fought something like 35 fighters who punched harder than Clark. He was all hype.
OLD FOGEY is offline  Top
Old 02-14-2008, 09:45 AM   #18
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny's jab
Lewis fought in an era where steroids and growth hormones were used by most of the elite heavyweights to enhance strength and power. I believe guys like Morrison, Ruddock, McCall, Rahman, Mercer, Golota, Holyfield, Lewis himself, and loads of second-raters all used these substances that really produce improvements in strength and power that cant be attained without them.
How many modern boxers have been found out using steroids? I remember Vargas, but who else? Is there any basis to claims that steroids has been in wide-spread use?

As for the question in the thread I would say Lewis. But that's only natural because of the increased size and power of the fighters in Lewis' era. Pound for pound, the punchers that Ali fought seem much scarier to me.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 02-14-2008, 07:24 PM   #19
Doppleganger
Il Genio
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 800

Quote:
Foreman, Liston and Shavers were very big punchers. I dont think Lewis fought any guys who hit harder.

But Lewis probably fought more big punchers on average than Ali did.
Lewis fought in an era where steroids and growth hormones were used by most of the elite heavyweights to enhance strength and power. I believe guys like Morrison, Ruddock, McCall, Rahman, Mercer, Golota, Holyfield, Lewis himself, and loads of second-raters all used these substances that really produce improvements in strength and power that cant be attained without them.
Guys like Henry Cooper, Zora Folley, Floyd Patterson, Jerry Quarry, Joe Bugner, Mac Foster, Joe Frazier and Ernie Terrell would have been MUCH HEAVIER HITTERS or much bigger stronger more aggressive fighters given the same drugs.
Eh?

Where is your proof that all the guys you named were on drugs to enhance their athletic ability. Holyfield certainly looks dubious, especially given the Evan Fields thing and the fact he got bigger quite quickly and his power improved noticeably. But the rest?
Doppleganger is offline  Top
Old 02-14-2008, 08:40 PM   #20
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Quote:
Foreman, Liston and Shavers were very big punchers. I dont think Lewis fought any guys who hit harder.

But Lewis probably fought more big punchers on average than Ali did.
Guys like Henry Cooper, Zora Folley, Floyd Patterson, Jerry Quarry, Joe Bugner, Mac Foster, Joe Frazier and Ernie Terrell would have been MUCH HEAVIER HITTERS or much bigger stronger more aggressive fighters given the same drugs.
As others said, only Holyfield and Morrison of those are clear users.

And why should the 70's heavyweight magically be clean and innocent by definition? Whose to say Foreman or Norton didn't use the juice? Steroids have been around since the 50's, Schwarzenegger used them in the late 60's. Testing in other sports like the olympics started somewhere in the 80's and athletes started dropping like flies.

To me, a guy like Foreman or Norton is no more suspicous than a Lewis or a McCall. I'd say all of those are innocent until proven guilty. In Holyfield's case, the large amount of circumstancial evidence is enough for me to consider him guilty.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 02-14-2008, 09:50 PM   #21
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

Steroid use was rampant but accepted in the 70's.

They became taboo years later.
Russell is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum