Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-22-2012, 06:30 PM   #1
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Roy Jones v Lloyd Marshall at 168lbs

We'll take the Marshall of '44 who beat Maxim, Williams, LaMotta, Bolden and Jack Chase all under 168 but above 160, primed with a good camp and all that nonsense.

In the other corner, the absolutely primed Roy Jones, say from the end of 1995, motivated and safe in the knowledge that he has the most difficult fight of his career in front of him.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] vs [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

It's an interesting fight this for Jones. Marshall can punch and is in the habit of launching unexpected attacks. But those are his chances. I'm interested in anyone who would actually pick him if a prime Marshall were being lined up against a prime Jones for the super-middleweight championship of the world.

Thoughts?
McGrain is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2012, 06:37 PM   #2
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: Roy Jones v Lloyd Marshall at 168lbs

I'd say Jones does a better Marshall than Marshall does.

He was quicker, so I reckon he cracks Marshall's chin before Lloyd can do to a prime Roy what many did to the faded version and starch him. Great show of feinting and baiting until the end though I bet. Roy would play it safe, but find the punches to get a potentially tricky foe out of there.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2012, 06:47 PM   #3
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 150

^^^^^
Agree with the above post.
Jones and Marshall do share a very similar style. Jones is faster, maybe even have the same kind of power...Jones would be the more cautious, and he would definitely have the speed to either to beat Marshall to the punch or counter him...A vote for the modern fighter (in his prime) The pick here is Jones...but even with that said, Marshall could hurt him and stop him. I just think Jones has the speed to counter Marshall's left hook when he takes that step and loads it up.
Addendum: Except for the stoppage part...Jones by decision for me.

Last edited by dpw417; 03-24-2012 at 07:28 AM.
dpw417 is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2012, 07:04 PM   #4
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

I think lloyd will soon find himself being outsped and outtimed and consequently will revert to his aggressive gameplan which saw him through against a few fighters in his time.

I actually think lloyd was the best mw in the world for a while. From when he beat burley (just after charley had been robbed against holman) up until his next loss around the mw limit (anything below 164 might as well be a mw fight imo) I think it was too williams off top of my head.

Lloyd is much more multi dimensional and has a good body attack when he needs it, but unfortunately for him here, he's against my h2h goat from smw to lhw.

Jones wide ud and maybe even stoppage.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2012, 07:10 PM   #5
thistle1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Yeah ha...

this for me is a match to show up the Ages/Eras, and I'll choose Lloyd Marshall 9 out of 10 times.

Marshall's Era speaks for itself and always has the edge.
Lloyd was that classy, cutie type fighter and I've said before that him, Burley & Moore have some great similarities.

Marshalll would/could out box, out move and out punch Jones and I will give Jones his dues here, on his best and most focused night he would make it a fight and he certainly could stop Marshall, as Marshall was stopped plenty, allbiet in that great era by tough and capable and great fighters. But Jones would get a verdict on a rare occasion.

But the big money and the better money is on, for me, the Greatest example of the Era, and that is Lloyd Marshall, showing us just how tough & brilliant these guys were, where they can beat some noted greats, yet lose, and lose well too equally great contenders and top fighters.

Lloyd Marshall "the Proof fighter", for me dam near everytime!!!
thistle1 is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2012, 09:40 PM   #6
Surf-Bat
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle1 View Post
Yeah ha...

this for me is a match to show up the Ages/Eras, and I'll choose Lloyd Marshall 9 out of 10 times.

Lloyd was that classy, cutie type fighter and I've said before that him, Burley & Moore have some great similarities.

Marshalll would/could out box, out move and out punch Jones and I will give Jones his dues here, on his best and most focused night he would make it a fight and he certainly could stop Marshall, as Marshall was stopped plenty, allbiet in that great era by tough and capable and great fighters. But Jones would get a verdict on a rare occasion.

But the big money and the better money is on, for me, the Greatest example of the Era, and that is Lloyd Marshall, showing us just how tough & brilliant these guys were, where they can beat some noted greats, yet lose, and lose well too equally great contenders and top fighters.

If Marshall can hit the slippery Burley, he can hit Jones. He fought more often and had many more fights than Roy and against a far more formidable cast of opponents. He no doubt learned more tricks along the way; subtle ones that guys like Jones, who fought a whopping 2-3 times a year in his prime, never saw before.

Marshall by KO within 8.
Surf-Bat is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2012, 04:21 AM   #7
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 3600

Quote:
Yeah ha...

Agree . Lloyd Marshall's record is probably better than how Jones' record would have looked if he was a warrior (and he definitely was a well protected prospect/businessman) Jones looked that quick more because of him fighting diminished , shopworn and aged opponents than because of d illegal substances that he took .
Put him against a prime Reggie Johnson at 160 and it would have been a totally different fight with Roy possibly leaving d ring on a stretcher .
Put him with a still 168 able James Toney and Jones doesn't look any better than he did against Hopkins , most probably worse .
Put him against Mike McCallum in his early 30s and Jones doesn't shine , put him against that same Jorge Castro that he fought , but 4 12 rds instead of 10 and it may have ended in n "upset" (4 some) .
Should I repeat what McClellan did 2 him in d amateurs and would have repeated in d professionals as well if only given d opportunity ?
Even Eubanks and Benn would have posed problems/threats 4 him if a prime vs prime fight between hem was held .
Steve Collins could have stopped him late and Merqui Sosa was stopped instead of getting his mandatory standing 8 count after
Jones punched himself out , and of course that Sosa was shot by d time Jones carefully picked him .
Montell Griffin was caught cold because Jones' management assured it will happen this way after their 1st fight , hence Jones looking so "unreal" vs Griffin in their rematch .
Marshall actually fought d best , avoided no1 and won inside d distance even years removed from his prime , he was a warrior , as opposed 2 Jones , Marshall is much more proven . With Marshall 1 reads d record and gets d correct impression . With Jones d record succeeds at fooling most , but not myself .
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2012, 05:46 AM   #8
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337

Jones maybe too cautious here knowing how dangerous Marshall is and thus trying to potshot himself to a win. Donīt think that would work. If he goes for it he has a good chance of winning a decision or stopping Marshall but Marshall has an equal chance.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2012, 07:19 AM   #9
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1210

Joe Carter was no Roy Jones, for sure.
Senya13 is offline  Top
Old 03-24-2012, 03:10 AM   #10
Liechhardt
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Marshall wins.
Liechhardt is offline  Top
Old 03-24-2012, 06:01 AM   #11
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict

its one of the best match ups ive seen on here and even though i love marshalls rolling style i'd take the faster jones to win
turpinr is offline  Top
Old 03-24-2012, 07:45 AM   #12
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senya13 View Post
Joe Carter was no Roy Jones, for sure.
Joe carter did have some success against cocoa kid though. I think in 45 (after williams beat marshall his next loss near the mw limit was to kid in march, who then lost a month later to carter) the official results show carter beat kid at a time when kid was arguably the best mw in the world (or atleast had beaten the best mw in the world). However i've no idea how legitimate the victories are.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 03-24-2012, 08:33 AM   #13
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1210

Carter was a counter-puncher, and he made Marshall look really bad and miss a lot more often than he was used to. Unlike Burley who fought Marshall flat-footed, trying to make it a slugging match (despite going into the fight with a hand injury), Carter made Marshall lead, and Lloyd wasn't very successful with that. Both fights.
Senya13 is offline  Top
Old 03-25-2012, 12:34 PM   #14
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Both have similar styles, so you have to go with the sharper quicker fighter in such a scenario and we all know who that is. Marshall also get's a little too aggressive at times leaving big openings and as such was susceptible to being ko'd throughout his career

Jones KO6
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 03-25-2012, 12:38 PM   #15
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Yeah ha...

it may sound dismissive but jones is a talent that transcends eras. his time and competition cannot compete with marshall but his skills can.
Nightcrawler is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum