Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-31-2012, 02:07 PM   #91
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Roy Jones Jr vs Bob Fitzsimmons by Bert Sugar

Well there are absolutely loads for you to chose from, dozens. I'm looking at about six far superior ones now. If he'd never been born you could still get a kid a book.
McGrain is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2012, 02:11 PM   #92
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
The most important thing he did was with Ring magazine. He didn't really do much for "the good of boxing" outside of that, I doubt he created one single fan actually, sold one ticket, or enhanced one pay-per-view with his "colourful" boxing history. He got the top of a pretty shallow heap with his colour, but it was in no way "for the good of boxing."
I remember when he was talking about Joe Louis years ago in ESPN and although I was a boxing fan at the time I wasnt into classic boxing too much....Im not saying he is the reason I have become a classic boxing fan....but he was quite helpful in the beginning in that ESPN shows....
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Old 04-01-2012, 07:59 AM   #93
Legend X
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
Well there are absolutely loads for you to chose from, dozens. I'm looking at about six far superior ones now. If he'd never been born you could still get a kid a book.
He contributed, that's the point.
Generally speaking, boxing pundits and authors and commentators who get out there and be loud and visible and opinionated and make a career out of being on the scene and talking up the great fighters ALL contribute to the good of the sport.

They all contribute to bringing fans towards the sport, and selling the fights and getting people interested.

In my opinion.
Legend X is offline  Top
Old 04-01-2012, 07:57 PM   #94
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic-JofreBRASIL View Post
Im pretty sure that this matchup was discussed before here.....but Im reading this book and I think would be interesting to read opinions on what Bert Sugar said about Roy vs Fitz....

source:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

"Fitzsimmons fought in the manner of the day except for that left hook, straight up and with little or no movement, and would have been no match for Jones, historic greatness or no.

OUTCOME: Jones by early-round KO." by Bert Sugar

Im not too familiar with Sugar to be honest, this is the first time Im reading some of his books....but I didnt expect this opinion because he was always a writer who loved the old timers (that was always my impression anyway), and would be nice to know your opinions guys.....not only on this comment about this matchup, but on him in general....
sounds about right to me. Roy just had too much athletic ability for the stiffies of that era. every superlative ever written about a fighter rightfully goes to Roy Jones. I see Jones unleashing 50 punch combinations against a helpless Fitzsimmons when the end comes. Jones in 10
redrooster is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum