Old 04-03-2012, 04:11 AM   #46
MadcapMaxie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: The Hardest Puncher in the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
Larry Holmes was not on the downside of any hill when he faced Shavers.

There. Never say never.

At this point it was Shavers who was on the other side of the hill.
MadcapMaxie is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2012, 10:38 AM   #47
rodney
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webbiano View Post
That puncher harder than heavyweights? No so take your negative ass attitude out of this thread
Back off **** Nuts.
The guy has a point.
rodney is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2012, 10:49 AM   #48
edward morbius
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Well, I started this thread on the basis of the absolute hardest (or best) puncher in the world through history. Not p4p.

*It is not restricted to heavyweights. As a matter of fact, Fitz and Langford were probably not heavyweights (over 175 lbs) for periods when they were the top punchers.

**Certainly a case could be made for Stanley Ketchel as the hardest puncher for a short time between Fitz and Langford.

***If anyone wants to nominate someone from the lighter weights who they think was the absolute hardest puncher for a while, go ahead. Other than Fitz, Langford, and possibly Ketchel, I can't think of one.

Last edited by edward morbius; 04-03-2012 at 11:03 AM.
edward morbius is online now  Top
Old 04-03-2012, 11:02 AM   #49
edward morbius
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadcapMaxie View Post
Mos def. like i mentioned Larry Holmes said Butterbean hit harder than Tyson, Abe Simon said Walcott hit him the hardest but Joe Louis said he didn't hit hard at all he just couldn't see the punches coming.

However, Sheppard not being able to stop Walcott and Moore is more likely due to him having stamina issues, very crude, bad finsher like Shavers (etc) who himself doesn't have any meaningful scalp in his resume bar Norton. And well you can look at his track record vs punchers.

Also Ted Lowry said Moore hit harder than Marciano so except for Shavers who everyone called the hardest puncher it's very hard to tell.
"Shavers who everyone called the hardest puncher"

Everyone? Was a poll taken of everyone who fought Shavers or are you speaking of just the ones you know about?

By the way, if Moore hit harder than Marciano it really speaks well for Marciano's chin.

Still I can't quite see Moore ko'ing all the guys Marciano did. This quote indicates Moore hit Lowry harder than Marciano hit Lowry, but that is not the same as Moore hitting harder than Marciano generally.
edward morbius is online now  Top
Old 04-04-2012, 04:11 AM   #50
MadcapMaxie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward morbius View Post
"Shavers who everyone called the hardest puncher"

Everyone? Was a poll taken of everyone who fought Shavers or are you speaking of just the ones you know about?

By the way, if Moore hit harder than Marciano it really speaks well for Marciano's chin.

Still I can't quite see Moore ko'ing all the guys Marciano did. This quote indicates Moore hit Lowry harder than Marciano hit Lowry, but that is not the same as Moore hitting harder than Marciano generally.
The Shavers point was a figure of speech obviously but I've never heard anyone (except Quarry) who fought Shavers say that anyone but Shavers hit them the hardest.

I agree with the Moore/Marciano point Moore was supremely more skilled, more accurate with his punches, better timing etc. so it probably appeared as tho his punches were harder. Also Lowry fought Marciano at a early stage in his career so he wouldn't have been as good.
MadcapMaxie is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum